Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Benefit of stock split is it opens up inclusion in certain indeces. Like there is speculation google could get into Dow Jones but was not possible pre split.

I think market is well able to adjust for Rivian. Big test on Amazon is will subs price increasing impact customer take up. My best guess is they are in strong position to pass on costs. The growth in AWS in spite of growing competition is impressive. Ive 10% in amazon so look im biased to the upside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭p to the e

FB still looks interesting to me from the perspective of if they were forced to split from Instagram and Whatsapp in the future you could have all three stocks for one purchase today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just had it's first ever quarter where they had declining users. Not growth, declining users

It's on its way to join MySpace and Bebo in internet heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

They have fingers in plenty of pies, not just FB, which has been on a downward trend in the west for a good while now. I think the growth in places like Africa and SE Asia masked the decline in general fb usage.

The Insta/Whatsapp/Oculus/Metaverse part of the company isn't going away anywhere soon..

• Advertisement

Yeah they'll have to figure out a way to monetise that. Losing ads on FB is a huge dent in their figures. Whatsapp is probably the most valuable app on my phone, but I pay nothing for it, no ads or anything. I suspect that'll become a fiver a month in time

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

In fairness, this is largely the law of large numbers...2.9 billion Monthly users. (Bear in mind they can't go near China). Their total market is ~7 billion people, when you take away old people who will never use social media, babies and people who don't have access to the Internet then they've already tapped into most of the market.

Are they in structural decline because of one particularly bad quarter (Made worse by Apples privacy policy changes) who knows?

I personally don't use any of facebooks products anymore bar whatsapp and I see it as the 21st century cigarettes so couldn't care less if it disappeared.

Saying all that a 25% drop seems to be an overreaction, not really a company I like so don't plan on buying, but there is probably money to be had at these levels...trading at 17x P/E vs their historical 5 year average P/E 28x

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

By using WhatsApp you are providing them with all the data they need about you and your comrades, so the notion that you pay nothing for it is just plain wrong. They also don't just use that information just for Facebook ads, they quite happily sell it on to many other entities. It's very lucrative for them.

Revenue is still growing, profits are still growing, free cash flow increased by 65%!! That's a dam good Business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭p to the e

I definitely think Facebook Social Media site is losing relevance but they still have a goldmine of data to use for whatever nefarious means. Also Instagram is still "In" with the kids and will only grow IMO. Same for Whatsapp. If FB is forced to split then you get those two solid companies. I think it would be better if they did as think how much they are held back whilst Zuck plays with his Occulus set. Also read this a while back on how Whatsapp makes revenue. We might see it become a subscription service soon.

How WhatsApp Makes Money [Revenue Model 2021] (whatisthebusinessmodelof.com)

• Advertisement

@jams100, it was their absolute number of users that declined, not growth. The only segment that grew in the US was the over 60's. When young people are turning away from something it tends not to end well.

@RaggyDays, I'm well aware that they're getting value from me, but I feel at some point they'll ned to go to a subscription. Google have more info on me than any company in the world, and they still charge me for my Google Drive space. Doubt they need the cash from me, but it all adds up to a powerful recurring revenue.

The game was up when boomer's started using Facebook. It's rapidly becoming an app for old people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

How many more ways will BABA find an excuse to tank? It's ruined my portfolio.

Without BABA I'm up 12%. With BABA I'm down 10%

Still believe it is an over reaction on Facebook. Users declining but still growing. Throwing off huge profits to invest. I am not arguing points on decline but this has been total over reaction. I think the bigger concern for market is how much is going into metaverse and will it deliver anything. Id probably lean buy to hold on this. Wouldnt be on sell side.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Metaverse is such a cringy dotcom boom era idea, nobody wants to put an Oculus on their heads or go into a Second Life world for a meeting, and I love VR...

• Registered Users Posts: 82,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Exactly, it may have a value on some dating site but other than that the value is over rated in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

The Facebook/WhatsApp/Instagram side of Meta is still a very profitable business with some very smart people involved.

Their only real problem is they are haemorrhaging money on the Metaverse project. None of us truely understand what that is and/or what it could morph into in future. Soo, I will reserve judgement...just to say, the people involved have previously shown an uncanny ability to turn muck into gold 🥇

Personally, I will be keeping a close eye on Meta and will jump in when I feel it has bottomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

PANR...

Can't expect it to do ~40% every day I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Peter Thiel left the Meta/FB board yesterday, after 17years.

Down another 2% pre-market

What are the odds that Zuckerberg is the one who identified and executed perfectly the rise of social media and basically does it again through the metaverse.

I feel like he's forcing it on us rather than it growing organically.

• Advertisement

I've tried VR and I honestly think it's a gimmick, even for well executed video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭bankboucy

Agree VR is the NOT the next computing paradigm like Suckerburg would have you believe - taking yourself completely out of the context of where you are by covering your eyes & ears…..has IMO niche applications……….AR has a chance but the tech required to implement a solution that is superior to using your phone, such that it replaces your phone is like decades away

Some very backwards thinking on the Metaverse. Folks who can't see it's future are humming and hawing like folks were with the demise of the nokia 3310 when smartphones arrived. The Oculus is only a very small part of the scene but has a huge amount of use cases. It's what's been done with augmented reality, Metaverse worlds, smart glasses like the Ray bands that FB developed. The technology behind this stuff doesn't come from small start-ups anymore, it takes huge investments.

Note it wasn't that Facebook was earlier or better than the likes of Myspace, Bebo etc back in the day, It was the fact that FB got massive investment from Wallstreet which allowed them to scale. They had the funds for better infrastructure so when you clicked that thumbs up button or loaded a new page it is seamless, no delays and made for a better experience.

Zuck is doing the same thing with the Metaverse, and soon it will be so far ahead that the barriers to entry will be too great even for the likes of Apple or Google.

Babble.

I reckon in 5 years time they'll be the equivalent of 3D printers, loads of potential but nobody really knew what to do with them.

Zuckerbergs vision is that everyone wears this headset. They're spending billions and losing market share trying to get people to wear a VR product to "be in the metaverse". But they're they're associated with a company people don't trust, and they're ugly as ****.

Meanwhile Apple have sold 300m Airpods, a product people want to be seen wearing and are willing to leave in their ears half the day. Apple may have already conquered wearables and built what Zuck wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

How do you lot see the near term market shaping? Is it a house full of bears?

Am I mad thinking the shackles could come off in second half of the year with interest rates not being as bad as feared and we get a roaring time of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

Just from my own portfolio, added Flutter & Mitek in last period so set at 30 stocks now.

Flutter as a cover to US gambling as I sold Draftkings (for a heavy loss) and Mitek was just an interesting opportunity in a space that isn't overly crowded (ID verification)

I think there's a lot of people out there that don't want to write off the metaverse because they don't want to be seen as a "boomer" or "you're the same type who said phones with cameras would never take off"

Zuck had the timing and execution perfectly for facebook as smartphones took off at the same time.

The thing with phones is they fit in your pocket and everyone has one. You'll be in a drs surgery and you'll be on facebook. You'll be in a queue at the shop and you'll be on facebook. You'll be waiting for your friend to come to your car and you'll be on facebook.

Phones are easily accessible and easily put away quickly and you can use your phone while engaging with other people. How is that going to translate to the metaverse? You'll have your headset on you all the time? Or maybe we'll all look like robocop?

I can see it working for games and events and specific use cases in work but this idea Zuck has that we'll all be working at home with our headsets on and be in a virtual office?

It's crazy, have anyone here ever had a VR headset on their head for more than an hour? It's genuinely draining and headache inducing.

• Advertisement

You could be right, best not invest or maybe go short if you believe it will fail. I just think folks here are not fully understanding what the Metaverse is. Yes it's fantasy online worlds like what have been about with the last 10 years and the ability to be fully immersed in them. Fine nothing new there, but it's going to be a whole lot more. The world we live in is going to get blended with Augmented reality and it will be seamless. Everything from remote working to shopping to games and everything in between.

Advertisement