Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,431 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Advice or help needed.

I'm in the process of adding two pylontechs to my current one. Charged up the batteries this week and put them into a cabinet. No issues.

My sparkie called me and connected the earth from inverter to the master battery in the cabinet. (I previously had the battery on a rack). I thought I needed the earth extended but there was plenty of slack so that connected to the battery. Again, all going according to plan. I had the inverter powered down while working on this.

Now, when I switched everything back on the Inverter has no display and seems dead as a door nail 😔

Any ideas?

Wlll call my installer in the morning, and should i also call Solis, or what's the best way to contact them?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

Well the first thing I would do is to disconnect the comms cable between the pylontechs and see will it start up. Then try with only one pylontech unit

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

It looks like it can’t find the battery it was set for so suggest re hook the original setup - then disconnect from inverter through the menu then plug all in together and reselect on inverter menu. Firstly make sure all batteries are on? Try the start red button. Always confusing why red is a start button on the Pylontechs. Also on off switch on that inverter.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It's a long shot, the inverter might need solar power to start up again.

All isolators on?

No tripped rcbo/mcb?

• Advertisement

Isolators are on. No trips afaik.

I guess I'll know if the solar coming in makes a difference in the morning.

I'll also try reverting to original battery set up if that proves fruitless.

Looks like it wasn't a long shot. The Inverter appears to be working as normal now!

I disconnected the batteries last night when trouble shooting. Just need to hook them back up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Think I'll be going in and turning off the battery charging at night in the next few days or so....

Turned on battery charging from grid on about 1st November, so about 52 days before shortest day of the year... so will be around that same time past the shortest day in a few days...

Also haven't run a clothes washing or dishwashing load at night over last 2 weeks or so, as there's been plenty of excess during the day to take these loads... (I think 1 day it was a bit cloudy, and production was low, but the battery took up the slack).

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Will also be looking to start ramping ours down in the next week or two, might leave it at 50% for a couple of weeks after that to get over the first hour or two before production picks up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

yeah it's that hour or 2 from 8am til about 10am when production starts to meet demand.

I think I slowed the charging rate to 8 amps, and it finishes at around 7am, so maybe a drop first to perhaps 4 amps, to half fill it for that morning demand (as well as any buffer the washing machine/dishwasher might need).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Yep I switched it off last night and no power bought today. Ok its only one day but its a start.

I will decreasing the night charge bit by bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mrm

Regarding the battery:

• is it correct to only charge to max 90% capacity and discharge to 10% (if Depth of discharge allows)? Therefore only 80% capacity available per charge/ discharge cycle?
    • do losses further reduce this 80% discharge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

im charging to 99% these days - but hoping soonish to reduce that! as the sunshine improves. I charge a small amount over 8 hours... rather thna try and fill it fast. I am hoping that will preserve the life of the battery long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Thanks for this info -- mine was also set to zero and its making a big difference after just a few days 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mrm

So is rapid short session charging under the EV tariff offered by some companies over a 2 to 3 hour period bad for the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

How is it different than charging the battery at full 100A/5kwh from the PV, which can happen in summer time.

One issue could be is that usually in winter the temp of the battery is lower but if it's not under 0 it should be ok perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as you stay under 1C (and preferably 0.5C) you don't have to worry. 1C means you charge 100% in one hour. So for a 5kWh battery that's charging at 5kW. 0.5C is charging the same battery at 2.5kWh. So charging to full over 2-3 hours is completely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭pms7

Wondering if someone can help me with a question please.

Looking at 15kw panels and 12kw inverter for a dairy farm. My peak demand is 8-10am and 5-7pm which would be around 50-60 amps at those times. I have read through posts and looked at the spreadsheet where daily and monthly figures are quoted but that does not answer my question. Panels would be on east / west roof about 20 degree slope. Roughly what kind of output could I expect at those times during the summer on a sunny day and also on a dull day. Just trying to get an idea of sizing v my demand. Thanks

Yeah you would only do 1C if battery was 15kwh and need to charge that in 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Thats a good point - still in my first year with this tech. I sure am hoping for my battery to get a full whack of sun this summer :)

The other reason I dont use the EV rate - is im using the D/N meter at the moment. If someday in the future I do switch to a Smart Meter - and I charge over that short 2 hour EV slot... What happens at 5am to the battery? In my system it will immediately start discharging to cover house load - during the cheaper night rate period. By charging over the full 8 hours i finish at 8am - just before the day rate kicks in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

No if you are charging over three hours you are charging at 0.33C regardless of the battery capacity. The C rate is charge rate in kW/battery capacity in kWh.

That makes perfect sense actually my bad.

1C would then be 15kwh

So the more batteries the better for them as they get less Amps each

• Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Champion what is red node

I work in telemetry and probably should know this 🤔 (rtus etc..) however I've read some of your threads somewhere else and it's very impressive..love looking at data mind you sometimes I dont know what I'm looking at..

Cheers n

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

So I have a NE/SW with 8.65kwp on a 6kw inverter, on a silo pit roof, at about 12 degrees, Prob the closest your gonna get, Batteries could be useful for you but its the cost hurdle.. Maybe DIY? Is your yard connected to the house (ie domestic connection) or seperate, (commerical connection),

So this is one of my best days in may, Blue is Use, Yellow is export, dark orange is battery charge, light orange is discharge. yours should be 2x that.

A Poor day in June (gotta love the long days!)

And, just a reality check.. the depths of dark winter!

Phil, I cant find where you moved it, but move this reply too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DennisZ

Hello resident experts and alike.

I am thinking about expanding my setup to cover morning and evening peaks.

The part in red is new. The assumption here is that hybrid inverter can charge the battery using AC (excess from non-hybrid inverter and grid at night time). ATM the midday excess is partially used by Zappi/EV.

Is this even possible ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭irishchris

Yes completely possible as have similar set up here. Any excess been exported to grid from the non hybrid will be diverted to the hybrid for battery charging.

One thing to note is you need to not exceed the 6kw export limit to the Esb network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Our installation has been selected for an inspection and wondering what is involved? more on the documentation side than the actual physical install.

I have emailed the installers with the list of docs that SEAI are looking for so just want to make sure I have all when required.

Thanks

Our installation will put the planning regulation requirements to the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DennisZ

One thing to note is you need to not exceed the 6kw export limit to the Esb network

Extra CT clamp (at meter box) connected directly to 5kw inverter should cover that.

Advertisement