Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggravated burglary in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The OP raises the point about how those of us on boards who live to a good age will become vulnerable to this sort of thing even if we aren't particularly vulnerable now.

Personally, I'll likely develop an interest in clay pigeon shooting before I get to pension age.

Don't expect our authorities to do anything. Since a relative of mine's health declined with them needing more care, I have become very acquainted with the utter shambles that is health and social care in this country. Why would the justice system be any different.

If, instead of 73 year old pensioners, politicians, senior Gardai, the legal profession and civil servants were being targetted for aggravated burglary, things would change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

• Registered Users Posts: 12 zefirki

My husbands uncle was attacked in his home by 2 bulglars (male and female)in Cork in 2020.there was a court coverage in newspapers and radio about this case.both individuals jailed.after they took his money in the house,they locked him in the bedroom where he spent 2 days untill disovered by my mother in law.all I can tell you now... from that day poor man almost stopped talking ,now living in the nursing home,on heavy meds and avoiding conacts with family.thats how hard this bulglary hit him...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Advertisement

Post edited by Jequ0n on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Anytime I'm having a bad day or feeling a bit low, I just think of this. It perks me up no end

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

The story of what happened in Sligo has really made me sick. A similar incident happened close to me in December and nobody has been apprehended yet. Some won't like my next point but some years back where I am from if you done something like this it wouldn't be the law you were scared of and would not be moving as freely for a long time. Not condoning this but the point I'm trying to make was this sort of scumbag activity was hardly heard of because you were scared of the repercussions. I'm not condoning the way this was done but these scumbags are only going to carry on and do much worse if they're is not a severe penalty for their actions. Unless we start to get serious about punishing crime in this country this is only the start of this kind of cowardly, scumbag, lowlife crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It would be good to see crimes against the elderly receive the same media air time as other sectors of society.

It's a heinous crime that should have a zero tolerance policy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,847 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The Padraig Nally approach is unfortunately the only one that appears to act as a deterrent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

It's not that surprising, lower IQ types tend to attract and end up with each other. They don't think twice about breeding and then boom - Idiocracy becomes reality because as a society we all agree to do nothing about it.

At least she got jail this time but that’s after 30 previous convictions including assault and robbery.

Let’s be honest here. Scum are scum and no amount of “there there’s” will change that. Give them a decent sized jail term by conviction No5. They can’t be committing crimes if they’re locked up, can they? They should never be able to reach conviction No31 if they’re doing time from No5 onwards.

If they were given 6 months from conviction No5 onwards, it would take 14 years before they’d get to No31 and I am calculating that on committing a crime, being charged and convicted all on the day after they’re released from their previous stint.

Enough is enough. It’s obvious that suspended sentences do not act as a deterrent so jail the scum. Take the opportunity to assault and rob away from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Suspended sentences are completely pointless as they still run concurrently, and the judge still does what they want.

Unless the new conviction has a low sentence than the previous one's suspended portion it doesn't do anything, and the judge can still suspend the lot of it. That driver who got convicted recently for hitting the motorcyclist while driving illegally showed that, suspended + suspended = scot free.

Sadly most of it can't be changed without a referendum to amend article 34. Nothing can be specifically legislated on sentencing that takes that power away from judges.

What’s article 34 in layman’s terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's about the constitutional separation of powers, Firearm act sought to decide the minimum sentence to be imposed by the court on some (prior offenders), but not all, persons convicted of listed offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Yet another appalling attack on an elderly defenceless genuinely vulnerable member of society. I hope to god he pulls through.

Minister McEntee has been busy lately condeming various types of crimes etc and rightly so, but has she said anything about this type and the type who do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

Came here to mention his name. Frog Ward hasn't added to his 80 previous convictions since then. No outcome set down by the courts would have given that result.

Why did the original judge suspend the entire 5 & 2 year sentences in the first place? That’s where the real problem with the case you linked lies. She didn’t have to suspend it, did she? She chose to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

If they catch these vermin I don’t see why the sentences should be any less than what was handed out in the Kevin Lunney case.

What’s the difference?

They held a man against his will in both cases and tortured him for financial gain,

Do I have any hope the judge will see it the same way?

Not a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

This is exactly how their twisted minds work. Have absolutely no concept of right and wrong. They simply cannot fathom why some stranger has something that they don't have. (even though that same stranger is working his butt off to earn it). Same with housing, they totally believe that they are entitled to a house because everyone else has one. (preferably in their chosen location).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

The thugs in the Kevin Lunney case got what they deserved and rightly so, but the difference being Kevin Lunney is considered to be the upper echelons of society whilst Tommy Niland is just another old age pensioner living alone. A message needed to be sent out that attacks on the upper echelons would not be tolerated. Most were shocked by the sentences handed out because we have become conditioned to vermin like this getting off lightly.

Of course they know what’s right or wrong. They simply don’t care about the impact their actions have on others. That’s the key difference that sets people apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Sadly the case elsewhere too - elderly half blind spinster near us who hadn't a bean was roughed up by these boyos. She had lived there independently for decades, never recovered from the ordeal, had to go into a nursing home and faded away there. F**kers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

A friend of our family had 2 huge vicious dogs. They were beaten into a shed with lump hammers and the house robbed.

And yes, it was our culturally recognized friends that did it. They were caught and suspended sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Tony Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

There are enough self serving NGOs and left wing politicians out there reinforcing the “entitlement to everything free” message too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

No. I can assure you after 17 years of working with people like this that most of them have never been taught to have a conscience. You have to teach children the difference between right and wrong and if you don’t they grow up and think that they can do whatever they want: take somebody else’s property, beat women, abuse animals, sell drugs, neglect and abuse children, physically attack people you don’t like. That sort of thing. Getting caught and being punished is a gross infringement of their rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The next time a politician calls to your door make sure you ask him about the soft on crime judiciary which is impacting all of us . Travelling criminals are laughing at the law abiding !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement