Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I don't agree about that. If you hark back to our last competitive match in Breffni with a crowd, we played very naively against Clare in similar conditions (well, minus the hailstones). I remember Mickey Graham being fairly annoyed about that and he referenced it after the championship match against Monaghan about having to be patient when playing into a strong wind. We seemed content to hold Wexford off at arms length having done the hard work in the first half and it was mostly comfortable. Granted, Wexford are very poor and you wouldn't want to be that flat for 30 minutes against a decent team but it's the second game of the season.

In terms of the age profile, i think lots of players are well fit to play into their mid-30s. Gearoid has never looked better. The idea that as soon as you're past 30 that you might as well pack it in doesn't hold. If you're good enough, they should play. Martin Reilly is a brilliant example of that. He came on and looks a cut above.

But definitely against Carlow and Waterford we should be looking to get game time into the likes of Brady in goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

These headlocks need to be took out of the game the same carry on is happening in every game now. They should be treated the same as striking and red cards given for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Don't mean to be smart but I don't understand what you are disagreeing with? I said that Cavan chose to treat Wexford like a Division 1 or 2 team to develop tactics for games ahead and you refer back to a game two years ago against Division 2 opposition? I agree with you that Clare managed that game alot better than us that day but I don't understand what exactly you are disagreeing with in my post and what referring to the Clare game illustrates - there's a big difference between the quality of Clare and Wexford to be honest.

Sorry Lemlin, I think i was replying to an earlier post about tactics and quoted you.

There is a massive difference between Wexford and Clare for certain. I think the general conversations coming out of Breffni was "we need to get out of division four straight away". Definitely looks like we are geared up to take each game seriously and get the points and get straight back up.

Anyone hear the review of the Wexford game on We Are Cavan? I slung out the hook and caught me a kipper!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

Any word on Connor Brady’s injury status? Or ciaran the holla will he be back soon? Or Cian reilly? Anyone with any news of this?

Only mention on the podcast was Conor Smith has a hamstring so is gone for 5 to 6 weeks its expected. He has no luck the poor lad. At this stage, he needs to probably be sent back to his club for a year and told to get fit with them and then worry about county football.

Injuries just seem to follow him about i wouldn't be surprised if he isn't playing football in a few years.

Division 4 is probably the one area where the bookies might get it wrong because they have very little info to work off. For example, Paul Fitz mentioned that Leitrim were long odds at +3 to beat Tipp but Leitrim looked decent enough against Cavan, were in Division 3 recently and what I've heard is that Tipp have lost a fair few.

• Advertisement

Jordan Morris to Kingscourt transfer confirmed as per We Are Cavan.

Should fairly strengthen kingscourt in the senior championship, if ramor gets Bradley back and crosserlough get dara back it will be an interesting championship.

I don't think he will but I've heard a few Meath people say they think it could happen due to a divide in the Meath camp between the North and South Meath factions. I'm sure he'll have the likes of Padraig Faulkner in his ear but Cavan would be a lot more attractive proposition if we weren't languishing in Division 4 whereas Meath are in Division 2. We might be in three next year alright but I can't see Meath, despite recent results, being relegated. They've played arguably the best two teams in that Division in Galway and Roscommon and should pick up a few wins in the last five games.

Important match for Cavan this weekend. This is a game which could shape our season. They'll be nothing easy about a McEntee managed Sligo in their own back garden. Hopefully we have as clean a bill of health as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

McVeety won't be back. Morris will be huge for Kingscourt but, based on his form re the move to Dunboyne and form since, Bradley will be lucky to get a game in that Ramor forward line, even with McEvoy emigrating. I would see the Meath club championship as weaker than Cavan's having seen both and Bradley has struggled up there - nobody in Dunboyne is lamenting his loss anyway.

I'm assuming all the snow will have cleared by the morning, but will there be any talk of a pitch inspection? It's going to be wet, cold and wild and sometimes those conditions suit us. We have well conditioned players who are more than capable of rolling up their sleeves. Sligo giving Carlow an absolute shellacking is no bad thing as it will have us going up there giving them the respect they deserve. It will be a tight game, but I'm going to give it to Cavan by three. Sunday is the day we stick one in the net as well. :)

Looking out the window myself, we could see a few games cancelled tomorrow. The pitches were wet enough without a covering of snow adding to the mix.

We Are Cavan asked Mickey about injuries and he pretty much avoided the question. He said Conor Smith out for 5-6 weeks and McLoughlin missed last game - no new info we didn’t know.

Can see this game been called off with yellow rain alert in Sligo until 4 tomorrow and all that's has fallen already.

Leitrim and London moved to the Dome in Mayo.

Just saw that weather warning. I would prefer an early decision if it’s unlikely to go ahead. Some of us need to plan journeys. And flasks of tae!

Yeah I see a few heading over tonight but I don't think they be to worried if its called off!

We’d be better it go ahead. Next weekend we play Carlow so it’d need to be slotted in between the Cavan and Tipp games which means Cavan would be on the go four weeks in a row and play their potentially two toughest fixtures left of Sligo and Tipp in a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

I’d be surprised if it goes ahead looking at the forecast.

Don’t forget to make a few hang sangwitchs😜

Well Myles, any inside info for tomorrow’s game. Should I head for the train early in the morning or stay in the cot, content that the game won’t go ahead!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

I'd be very surprised if the game goes ahead. Don't head out to early lads...

If ye do, layer up its gonna be a cold hoor of a spot

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

It's brutal weather in sligo at moment. Its a new pitch but I'm not sure it could take this sort of rain. If I hear anything in morning I'll stick it up here right away

I think your right I was at games in it throughout the year and for a relatively new pitch it was soft enough even for underage games when there wasn't a lot of rain

It will be dangerous for both teams if the game goes ahead

Hopefully a call will be made early in the morning for it

Who is down to ref it?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Game is off

Game just confirmed as cancelled.

No big surprise

Looks like a March 4th or 5th refixture as it seems to be the only weekend available

• Advertisement

Playing five weeks in a row so. Anyone know why we couldn’t get the done like London & Leitrim?

Advertisement