Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is not a private road and to my knowledge garda speed control applies to roads accessible by the public. The 1925 Phoenix Park Act gives powers to the gardai to police the park [see here] - note: IANAL!

Whilst there have been speed checks in the park (see the boards link below for an old thread about one) but I suspect that like the College Green bus corridor, the park isn't being policed with garda speed checks simply because AGS couldn't be arsed.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055087125/guard-speed-camera-in-phoenix-park

My understanding is that they are doing a cull of some of the herd simply because it cannot keep growing. The OPW routinely do this.

Still, the OPW aren't the only ones to kill the park deer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭McGrath5

They'd be better removing cars from the park to make it safer for everyone else.

Glad to see the lower speed limit though, should go some way to making the park safer for pedestrians, cyclists and wildlife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Ignoring it's role as transport link is why many other plans have failed before and caved under massive public and political pressure.

But assuming you want to try the same thing yet again. The only way to prevent it's use for transport is to stop through traffic. So that the only way to get to any part of the park would be to enter and leave by the same gate. You would be unable to enter one gate and leave via another.

That's said a lot of the traffic jams in the past were caused by people using the park and not solely "through traffic". So it wouldn't fix that or parking issues or speeding.

They often cull large numbers of deer.

Deer getting knocked down has to be put into perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

crazy is a strong word. not appropriate because of the way the road is engineered? or because of the surroundings, or the traffic it has to carry?

the difference in time it would make compared to 50km/h is theoretical max of about 3 minutes, assuming there's no congestion in the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭horse7

The deer were introduced to the park by the English in the 17th century, it's time for them to leave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the English have left, we became a republic in 1949.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭VonLuck

It's crazy because the road is in no way suitable for that low a speed limit. Instinctively even the most cautious of drivers would exceed 30km/h on that road because it's straight, wide and very good visibility. It's like being asked to go 60km/h on a motorway.

They should introduce something like speed tables at a minimum if they're looking to reduce speeds on that road, but personally I don't see an issue with it being 50km/h and maybe reduce to 30km/h approaching junctions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That Michael Pidgeon guy thinks the park should be for the exclusive use of people in the immediate locality.

And frankly, he can f**k right off.

• Advertisement

maybe we need to narrow the road so. more chicanes?

What's the end goal?

If its stopping speeding, its enforcement, cameras etc.

just to clarify, the stated objection i was replying to was that it's idiotic to curtail speed on the road because the way the road is constructed; it wasn't an objection based on the fact that the road is through a public park, etc.

and yes, cameras and enforcement could help, but road construction and design also has a significant impact on how fast people drive on them.

I'd prefer camera to ineffectual ramps and chicanes. North road in the park is miserable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So you're advocating the further narrowing of the road and new larger cycle lanes?

I never understood the arguments from some people that they can't drive at particular speeds. Might need to look a bit more inward to find where that blame lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The greens need to be buried once and for all. A disgrace what they've done!

They're turning the park from a national amenity into just the locals own park.

I used to drive 30 minutes and park on Chesterfield avenue and go walk around the park. Now I won't bother. I have been in, parking near the cricket club but it's very tight for space in there.

30km/h...how many people are killed on the roads in the Park every year???

"take public transport"...I'm not going wasting my valuable evening time walking for a bus, waiting for a bus, travelling on a bus, walking to the park....then walking around the park and doing the same thing back again. I HATE the greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

There'll be lads on bikes passing cars out going over 30km/h

If anything, lads on bikes should be forced to go slower because if they hit a deer etc they'll do far more damage to themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

LOL, are the Green Party still the bogey man for some people who they blame for every innocuous thing, even if it has nothing to do with them?

The greens need to be buried once and for all. A disgrace what they've done!

They're turning the park from a national amenity into just the locals own park.

The greens didn't make the decision on this. Whilst they campaigned for it, so too did many others.

I used to drive 30 minutes and park on Chesterfield avenue and go walk around the park. Now I won't bother. I have been in, parking near the cricket club but it's very tight for space in there.

You can still drive and park your car in the Phoenix Park. Is it that you object to having to start your walk from a different starting point?

Actually, might you be Eugene McDonagh?

30km/h...how many people are killed on the roads in the Park every year???

Is the number of fatalities your benchmark for safety? When they introduce pedestrian crossing points and have more people cycling, do you think s0km/h is too slow?

"take public transport"...I'm not going wasting my valuable evening time walking for a bus, waiting for a bus, travelling on a bus, walking to the park....then walking around the park and doing the same thing back again. I HATE the greens.

Nobody is forcing you to take a bus. However, you driving on your own should not have priority over a bus load of people, should you? Giving priority to busses and active travel is not the work of the greens. All parties claim to support it. If you're going to hate the greens then I'm sure they won't lose any sleep. However, before telling people of your hatred for them, be sure that you're armed with the facts.

I'm in the park everyday. There is loads of parking.

• Advertisement

Yeah you've been repeating this rubbish for ever. Gaslighting won't make the problem go away.

It's not rubbish. Anyone with eyes can see all the parking there is in there!

Posters blaming the greens because they can't get parked in the cricket ground car park is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ongarite

The OPW have been pushing for this for years and they would prefer to close park to through traffic completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There is loads of parking while most people are in work and the kids are in school.

When people are actually in a position to use the park, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Sure. No issue with narrowing the road if it's deemed safe and will reduce speeds.

Road design speed is a fairly basic traffic engineering concept. And you can say to look inward all you want, but do you think your average boy racer is going to care? The road needs to designed for the speed limit set in order to avoid relying on people following the rules.

It's definitely busier at weekends, but you would expect that. Getting stroppy cos you can't park at the cricket ground is a bit much. Park in one of the many other places to park.

So there NEVER any problems parking we are just imagining it.

Yep, about 4/5 weekends in the summer it's extremely busy. But you would expect that, well any reasonable person would.

Any reasonable person couldn't expect them to cater for the parking of a few busy weekends on every other day of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

There is a massive problem with illegal parking if thats what you mean, cars destroying the grass.

Just down the road in the botanic gardens and st annes park there is little or no car parking and yet people get on with it, no complaints. There are thousands of car park spaces all over the Phoenix Park. The sq footage of car park space in the Phoenix Park is about 10 times higher than the sq footage of bicycle lanes. In all my years of using it I have never once been unable to get a car park spot, except maybe during Dublin City Marathon. And to note, I've been in the park on average once or twice a week for the past 15 years.

Advertisement