Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

Flores has put in some chaos into the NFL. 3 main allegations I can see.

Ross tried to get him to interfere with a qb from a different team. Presumably Watson, which would contrary to the stories the Dolphins have put out since Flores departure.

Ross offered him money to tank. They had an obvious tank season and Flores won a few games with them. This would have massive waves in the betting businesses who represent a lot of cash.

Finally that the Giants job had been decided on before his interview showing that were not following the Rooney rule. This had some texts from Belichek congratulating Flores, presumably someone mentioned Brian to him and he got mixed up? I have not seen evidence for the other 2 yet but we will see were this goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Cant really see this going anywhere.

The first 2 allegations will probably come down to Flores word against Ross, unless either a 3rd party comes forward to back up Flores or Flores has some written proof (which is probably unlikely)

As for the text message, Belicheck will just claim that he texted Flores by mistake.

Belichek will have to say what he meant to text. It was obviously a mistake but Bill had to be mistaken that the job had been decided on for it not to be an issue.

It seems a crazy idea to sue mfl ownership given his career if he's not been given some assurance that he has a case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

You have to give massive kudos to Flores for turning down both the chance to recruit Tom Brady, and to be rewarded financially for securing the first overall draft pick.

You'd like to think all coaches would do the same, but it's very unlikely. His morals seem concrete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The Washington Football Team are no more.

Washington Commanders have begun their inevitable reign of failure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sounds like an XFL team now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Like most of brand updates, random internet posters did a better job for free than these marketing agencies did with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Terrible name, far worse than the suggestions floating around in 2020, but infinity better than American commentators referring to them as "the Football Team" in the same way they'd say the Seahawks or the Patriots etc. Happy that era is over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

I have to say, I quite liked the Football Team, but that was never going to sell merchandise.

Yes, the Washington Commanders has a terrible ring to it. Quite USFLish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Happy 4th anniversary of the Eagles winning the super bowl. What a night as an eagles fan. It’s one I will never forget.

The pro bowl happened tonight.

I had a nap that was more entertaining for spectators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It gets worse every year, and I only saw 10 minutes of highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Substantial bodily harm does not sound good.

So he played the day after?

After the incident, yes.

Arrested after the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Very strange Kyler Murray unfollowing the Cardinals and scrubbing them off his social media

• Advertisement

I don’t understand what he thinks that will achieve. It doesn’t fix the issues the cardinals have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Murray apparently never followed the Cards, and just did a social media clean up. Sounds like a non-story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A game in Munich and Frankfurt (one each year, alternating) for the next four years.

The designated German teams are Panthers, Chiefs, Patriots and Bucs, so plausible the game will be the 9th home game of one those teams in the year that conference has the extra home game.

Germany to host first NFL regular-season game in 2022 (espn.com)

Yeah they were the 4 teams that were granted marketing rights by NFL in their new scheme...

Australia: Los Angeles Rams

Brazil: Miami Dolphins

Canada: Minnesota Vikings, Seattle Seahawks

China: Los Angeles Rams

Germany: Carolina Panthers, Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 

Mexico: Arizona Cardinals, Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Houston Texans, Kansas City Chiefs, Las Vegas Raiders, Los Angeles Rams, Pittsburgh Steelers, San Francisco 49ers 

Spain: Chicago Bears, Miami Dolphins

United Kingdom: Chicago Bears, Jacksonville Jaguars, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings, New York Jets, San Francisco 49ers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

What's the reason they're limited to marketing in certain countries do you know? And what does it allow (or not allow) them to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Maybe the official NFL announcement will make it clearer to you (I'll be honest, I'm still none the wiser for reading it).

"Strategic efforts in these international markets include: in-person and digital marketing, corporate sponsorship sales, fan events and activations, youth football activities, merchandise sales and co-marketing relationships with other sports and entertainment properties in the market."

NFL awards international marketing rights to 18 teams in eight countries

In the past NFL use to do the marketing en masse, and a club shop in London would have all 32 jerseys. This is basically splitting the team marketing. So Dolphins can open a club shop and do promotional stuff in UK, but not Mexico. I think it's trying to get some countries more concentrated in certain areas rather than a scattered approach.

So the NFL honours took place and Rodger’s got his fourth MVP award and second in a row. Joe Burrow got comeback player of the year, and Jamar chase and Micah parsons winning offensive and defensive rookies of the year awards with parsons being the first player to win it unanimously.

andrew withworth can of the rams won the Walter Payton award.

And there are more awards but of course the HOF class was announced and somehow Demarcus ware and Zach Thomas and Devin Hester didn’t get in. I’m baffled honestly.

I think it is a pretty common thing to do in negotiations from some agents. I think the idea is to create shock and outrage among fans that a player might be leaving and encourage the team to pay them more to keep them. Not sure but it isn't the first time and is entirely a non story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭boccy23

Delighted that Tony Boselli finally got in the HOF.

I agree with Seymore, not sure about the others. Good players - not sure and HOFers though.

The list of guys who didn't make it in is a damn sight more impressive than the list who did. Hester and Ware in particular should have been in.

Can you go through the guys that made it and tell me why you think they shouldn't?

It's a great class imo, lot of players who should already have been in the hall. Nice to see them catch up a bit.

I didn't say they shouldn't be in, I said the ones they got in ahead of were, in several cases, better.

Tell me which ones were better then?

Like in their day they were outstanding. Every bit as awesome as the more recent candidates were in their day.

A recent example would be Seymour who has taken five or six years to get in. Why should Demarcus Ware get in quicker than Seymour? They were both as outstanding as each other in their positions.

I'm thinking here that this is a case of favouring players you seen play over ones you didn't?

• Advertisement

That instagram stunt will really help change the narrative he’s self centered, immature, and a finger pointer. It sounds like he needs to grow up a bit.

What are the opinions on Stafford now the dust has settled a bit on his Superbowl win? There's been a lot of debate over the past week over whether he should be a candidate for the Hall now.

I personally don't think he's done enough to warrant it. The Hall should be for the absolute cream of the crop, and Stafford is just not that for me. You couldn't even put him top 5 QBs of his generation, and probably not even top 10 (by his generation, I mean QBs he shared at least 3/4 active years with). And whether a victim of being a Lion for all those years or not, he's not even been close to MVP, which is something that the likes of Ryan and Newton have both achieved, neither of which imo, are HoF worthy either.

On the other hand, and this was mentioned this week in the debates, is that the bar has already been somewhat set for QBs going to the HoF, and Stafford has now eclipsed that bar. Should that be maintained is another question, but very much linked with the Stafford argument.

Obviously though, he has a bit left in the tank to bolster his chances. But I can't see him being competitive unless he switches teams again. If the Rams stay competitive next year I'll absolutely refuse to believe that the cap exists, and I'm doubting it a bit as is.

He will because qbs get in. Eli is similar man was never close to the best qb in the league but he won two superbowls so he will. Flacco may also

• Advertisement

I can see the argument for Eli (even tho I totally disagree) but christ, if Flacco gets in the HoF will lose all meaning whatsoever.

Ryan and cam could well also. For flacco it's a combo of

1. Numbers looking great vs old school qbs

2. A superbowl win is wayyyy overrated for hof

3. Qbs just get in ryan and cam prob will also

Stafford's not a HOF'er for me, but he's probably got another 5/6 years that could add to that.

Matthew Stafford is twelfth all time in regular season passing yards and passing touchdowns, if he plays another three years he'll be in the top ten in both categories. It's also likely he makes top ten in those categories including playoff football.

I think any player who retires at top ten in those categories is well worthy to be in the hall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

Stafford should have left the Lions years ago. If he'd been playing for an in anyway decent team he'd almost certainly have made multiple deep playoff runs over the years. And his stats despite his Lions years are still up there with the best.

If he manages to have another good season or 3 (hes only just turned 34 last week, so could have 5+ years left in the league) I think he'll make it in.

No Mathew Stafford isn’t a HOFer as it stands on February 18th, 2022 at 12:43pm. I get that him getting out of that dump of a franchise the lions are winning a super bowl has people all warm and fuzzy but players aren’t voted on while playing. Do I think having won Super Bowls helps a player ? Yes. But no I shouldn’t replace a complete body of work. I mean if Super Bowls we’re that important than Dan Marino and Jim Kelly wouldn’t be the hall of fame which by any logic would be **** stupid. That’s one of my issues with the hall of fame.

The other is it’s selective moral stance on stuff that happened off the field. They didn’t put Marvin Harrison in first time due to some issue with a gun, yet they let that sorry excuse of a human being ray Lewis in, who lets not remember used god on the weekend of the ravens vs niners super bowl to show he was innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Stafford shouldn't even be in the discussion at this point - things might change but I don't see any argument standing up currently. Having said that there is a (what I continue to find weird) NFL groupthink of overvaluing QBs, overvaluing 'rings', and stats ignoring context so I understand where this rumblings is coming from.

On the stats, the game is basically a different sport now for QBs than it was in the past and it is so much easier to rack up every stat, due to style of systems, the protection QBs and WRs get, the sports science to allow them to play longer, the headset... the boost they have over QBs of the past is endless. Being top 10 in any stat doesn't mean you're HOF worthy - Stafford isn't a top 12 QB in history, Flacco isn't a top 20 QB in history, Dalton isn't a top 30 QB in history... There is a decent chance Cousins, Carr, and Tannehill will all be knocking around the top 10 in yards by the time they retire, and no even if they win a ring they shouldn't be in the conversation either.

It was an incredibly fine margin for the Rams to win last Sunday against a team they by far overmatched on a player vs player basis. I don't see how a win that his defense played a huge part in and closed out should suddenly vault Stafford into HOF discussion.

If you were never seen as one of the greatest in your position of your generation then you simply shouldn't be getting in. Stafford has time to change things but trying to make a case now seems very much like folks getting caught up in the moment. I also feel that unless Stafford wins a few his case is going to be tougher to make than now. Brady hoarding wins has meant few QBs had that on their list of accomplishments which will likely change in the future with wins spread out across several teams in the coming years - one or even two rings won't be seen as special as it is now in making a case when more players have that going for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Brian Flores has been appointed senior defensive assistant / linebackers coach with the Steelers. Glad he got a job in the league after the recent controversy, even if it’s one he is significantly overqualified for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Deserves a job - but what make you think he is 'significantly overqualified' for it ?

Just because he was a HC doesn't mean that he is overqualified for a job as a positional coach - there are many former HCs who became position coaches. Flores has never been a DC - at the Pats he was a ST assistant, a defensive assistant, a safeties coach and then a linebackers coach (the same job he has got now - with a bump as a 'senior defensive assistant').

In my opinion he is exactly where he should be given his experience - and he could indeed turn out not to be great at that job given that BB controlled the defensive side of the ball at the Pats.

He had a lot of control in Miami over the defensive side of the ball during a time they had a pretty strong defense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement