Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 6 nations and world championship 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Jesus, was at the game and away from the phone. Came back to see 84 new posts in the 20s thread and was absolutely ecstatic at the attention they were getting. Little did I know, two and a half pages of muck and maybe ten max genuine comments.

Great performance but Wales dire. The two wings and Crothers my stand outs. Boyle had a great 50 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Is Devine worthy of starting? Is he a better player than Coughlan?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Haven't seen much of either, but I wouldn't say there's much between them. Devine looked great tonight I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Good post.

Yeah shame thread descended like that.

Great to have the Ennis, Longford, Balbriggan players involved. Crothers was very good.

Could see bit of rotation for French trip next week

France won 41-15 home to Italy and England won in Scotland 41-24 in the other games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,345 ✭✭✭✭phog

Did our 13 throw a head into one of the Welsh lads early in the game? I thought do in one replay but wasn't recording it so couldn't look at it again.

Have to be happy with our performance but hard to know what level Wales are at, aside from size they didn't seem to offer much

I was going to mention the ref but after reading some posts here I'll leave it be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RuPi

Wouldn’t say throw the head but he leaned in and his forehead touched the welsh players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,502 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There was nothing in it, it was not a headbutt, it was a misjudged squaring up

I'm sure the welsh will complain but what's new

Wales have been poor for a while. I think they haven't won since 2016. Next week will be a sterner outing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I've been impressed with the level of cohesion shown by our various U20's squads over the last 6 or 7 years. Nigel Carolan, Noel McNamara and now Richie Murphy appear to have drilled their sides very well. Strong set piece, handling skills and attacking structures. It's very impressive when you consider the players are still just kids and haven't played as a group at all.

I don't know if this group is as strong player wise as the excellent 2016 or 2019 squads, but they're well coached so that makes up for any potential shortfall.

Theve done a great job. It is worth noting at least some of it is having players available for camps and games for months leading up to this and schools in particular in leinster having almost semi pro setups helps. Wales had a few lads that where clearly good athletes but where also clearly in fairly poor shape from a strength and conditioning perspective. Thell likely improve massively once they get into pro setups.

• Advertisement

Anyone know where there's highlights?

Good man! Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Once again Wales rock up with a monstrous pack that can't play rugby. Imagine if Ireland could produce a few behemoth forwards at this level.

I'm not sure of many of them where really monstrous though a few of them where a bit fat but i suspect they'd slim down in a pro setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Any idea which channel France vs Ireland u20s next Friday night is on? Neither RTE1 or RTE2 show it in their listings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Virgin 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I can't finale bbc player over here. Geo blocked. Feckin bollox on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

The 6 nations has a special u20 YouTube page. All games are live and replayed on that too or used to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

if anyone cares to watch: https://ok.ru/video/4550158977553

G'wan ya boyo! Much appreciated!

Great atmosphere in Cork! So good seeing a crowd at this match. I'm not sure if we are that good, or if Wales are that bad. I think we got lucky with the ref, she missed some sealing off calls at our maul. But, we looked good.

Boyle, Culhane and Mullins were great. It was impressive watching our front row getting parity at the scrum, while giving away some weight. That Welch pack are big boys and we did very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Got to watch this back and was extremely encouraged at the signs.

Ireland sticking with the tradition of recent years of favouring brains over brawn. Frequently Ireland U20s have bested much bigger opponents through being a very well coached and technically proficient team.

Richie Murphy and his team can be very pleased at how sharp they have their players. Set piece was good, tackling excellent, passing very strong and varied and footwork from 1-23 was on display for nice metres.

Wales were the antithesis of what Ireland were with big units who offered very little in the top 2". Similar in some cases to England in recent years. Brawns v Brains.

I think the schooling system in Ireland will hinder us from producing absolutely massive athletes at 19/20 as a rule (discounting physical outliers) but the quality of coaching in our underage setups has been excellent in recent years.

Really liked the look of Culhane. Physically impressive backrow. As was Crothers.

One of the bigger centre partnerships I can remember at this age grade too for Ireland.

Not convinced on Tector just yet. A solid player but I couldn't identify any real points of difference. His technique off the tee is not pretty and not hugely effective. Surprised given his head coach is a renowned kicking coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Number 137

Random question, but does anyone know what height and weight Ronan O'Sullivan is?

The IRFU has not updated the bios on some of the lads. Missing a few.

France Under-20s team to face Ireland:

15. Max Auriac, 14. Jefferson Joseph, 13. Emilien Gailleton, 12. Louis Le Brun, 11. Enzo Reybier, 10. Louis Foursans-Bourdette, 9. Baptiste Jauneau, 1. Matis Perchaud, 2. Victor Montgaillard, 3. Robin Bellemand, 4. Samuel M’Foudi, 5. Matthieu Uhila, 6. Léo Banos, 7. Esteban Capilla, 8. Malohi Suta

Replacements: 16. Lucas Martin, 17. Louis Penverne, 18. Valentin Simutoga, 19. Raphaël Portat, 20. Noé Della Schiava, 21. Jules Coulon, 22. Aubin Eymeri, 23. Ethan Randle

• Advertisement

Boyle is very impressive. Size didn't affect him last week. Big test away for us. Last week we were impressive. We did lose to Italy in December. So it's going to be interesting to see how we do against France.

Advertisement