Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby, Do we need it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Rugby any day over that GAA rubbish that is usually forced down our throats. And we can play it at the highest level against other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Why does that matter ?

Why the need to politicise it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

jesus how sad do you have to be to have this take...

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

you obviously have never been involved in rugby at any level if thats your take. utterly stupid generalisation.

as for the first bit..what sort of nonsense is that? alot of people were around town...on the day of an international. mind boggling take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Need? Maybe.

How else are Tarquin and Diarmuid gonna get their homoerotic kicks without watching overgrown men rolling around on the ground with each other and sticking their heads between each others legs. Gives them the opportunity to absolutely send it with a few Heino's down the Bridge too whist cheering on the man on man action on the screen or live at the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

My community school in Galway played rugby and hurling. John Muldoon went there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

This bit about "importing foreigners" really gets my goat.

How many of Ireland's representative teams in ANY sport rely on "foreigners" to give them any sort of credibility?

There were four players from the rugby team's match day squad of 23 last Saturday born outside of Ireland and two of them had Irish ancestry, namely Hansen and Carberry. The latter has been living in Ireland since he was a child. The other two, Akee and Gibson Park had to live here for years before they could qualify. Fair play to them.

Look at our soccer side over the years. Full of people who had barely set foot in the country in their lives ever before "declaring" for "Eire".

What about "our" Winter Olympics team. There's literally somebody called Bubba from Utah representing us. Along with a Frenchwoman and a Norwegian man.

The Irish rugby team is one of the most authentic home-grown representatives of our country that we have.

Diss it all you like. You're entitled to your opinion of the game as I am entitled to my opinion of the likes of you.

But I'll keep it on the inside. (I'd get banned otherwise)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Which is worse? Allowing players with no Irish heritage to play for Ireland, if they have lived in Ireland for a few years. Rugby. Or allowing players with Irish heritage who never lived in Ireland to play for Ireland. Soccer.

Once the rules allow, I don't see any problem either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

You could say the same about literally any sport or recreational activity. None of them are needs, but lots of people enjoy them.

Soccer, and GAA sports could all be described as equally unnecessary/in your face.

Also your remote has a button for channel changing, so no one is 'forcing' you to watch anything you don't want to.

Why limit choice in this world when it doesn't really affect your life in any way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The Israeli rugby team is currently 60th in the World Rankings for men's rugby union. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaboRoig

I've almost zero interest in rugby union (more into gaelic football tbh) but I've even less interest in having a cut off it just for the craic. Obviously, thousands of people like it so more luck to them. What harm is it doing? Keeping kids off the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Plenty?as in 4 out of 23?

2 of those have Irish parents/grandparents and were born abroad

I initially wasn't too happy about Aki playing for Ireland because he seemed to be disinterested when asked at first but he's definitely bought in since then

A woeful post, as you'd put it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

The disparity between the backgrounds of some/most of the top players and the average rugby player in Ireland is fairly massive and completely at odds with the posh south Dublin stereotype that people outside of the sport have. Your average club player outside of D4 tends to be working class and from a public/community school as you pointed out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Former captain of the Connacht rugby team. Most capped player in the Pro14. Won an All-Ireland minor medal in hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

"Do we need it" Sorry now OP but you are living in a world where 'need' is supplanted by what people ultimately 'want'.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Must it?

I dislike rugby and even I want Ireland to do well because they are Ireland. There's a patriotism dividend to Six Nations matches. The interest in them isn't sliced up 32 different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Yes we do need it. 30 big sweaty man crashing into each other. What's not to like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I have no interest in rugby and I am bemused by the clear bandwagoning by the Irish supporters cheering the national team on only because they’re decent at the moment (the fans are mostly from Dublin and very very fickle. See the dwindling support for Dublin GAA for example, or Manchester United).

However I do think that the players should be seen and not heard. In other words I don’t think they should be encouraged to pursue “media” positions outside of the rugby pitch.

There is a tendency in the past ten years to promote ex rugby players as a radio or television presenter because they’re “good craic” and “heroe’s[sic]” but in reality they’re as dull as the sound of a dry shíte hitting the bowl. Keep them off the television unless they’re playing. Wankerś

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

^^^^^^^

Would you ever dare give that opinion when other sports being broadcast on TV or on the radio are offering the very same thing to their viewers/listeners.

What's not to like about listening to those former athletes who are officially qualified to give their expert analysis on their sport of expertise when the newest generation are taking up these positions after the careers of the former have officially ended.

They are well within their given field to give expert analysis about their eventual successors in the sport whether people like to listen to them or not. You cannot just have normal randomers coming in off the street and spouting off completely inaccurate opinions about the athletes ability when they actually don't have a clue in what they're talking about in front of the viewers etc....

It would look like a car crash waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Finlay Bealham also.

Born and grew up in Australia, moved to Ireland as a teenager to pursue rugby, has an Irish grandparent.

Stalwart for Connacht, playing there for over 10 years.

The sport, its supporters, and some of the stuff we do to make it an all-island thing really seems to bother barstool republicans,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Love it. 😀

Of course that pun is probably lost on some of the sophisticates on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭mikethecop

no one does , the protestants wont tell us

i think thats what all the pushing and shoving in the scrum is about ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

What I always wonder at is the perception some seem to have that rugby is some kind of elitist only game. That may be slightly true in the Leinster players (sorry to generalize a little, and even then you have the likes of Furlong who's from rural Wexford) but rest of the country the players are mainly working class / middle class lads from various places (like Keith Earls who's from Moyross, as working class area as you get).

I'd love to bring some of these people to Thomond park on the match day and see if they can hear any 'elite' accents there...

"Do we need Rugby, do we need Rugby Oisinn? Did you hear that? What else would we have to talk about otherwise?"

appears the goys didnt front up just enough today ?

no shame in it as France are very strong right now but as every year the hype machine over eggs in it in advance of the tournament

Rob Kearney is dreadful as a pundit , presenter on virgin media is even worse

• Advertisement

My heart bleeds for THE TEAM OF US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Must be weird to delight in Ireland losing.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

not so but with France so strong right now , the expectations of grand slam success were totally over cooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Well they put together more passes in 20 minutes than the precious football team managed in 5 years so don’t know what you’re laughing at? Maybe your own mediocrity and dead end life is a bar you rate others on, pretty sad if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

That's only because we are one of the few nations who play it professionally.

It's like us being No.2 in the world GAA rankings to the Aussies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Incorrect - there are a multitude of teams in the southern and northern hemispheres who play rugby. A hell of a lot more than anything GAA can claim

Such angry. Just because your big lads scrapping lads didn't win for you

WWN weighs in

Common Person Under Impression He Can Like Rugby Too

https://www.tiktok.com/@waterfordwhispersnews/video/7063824183104408838?_t=8PoZmk0VuQH&_r=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Oh, yes, of course a lot play it, they need to to make up a World Cup, but they take it as seriously as we do our men's national Basketball team or our national Baseball league (which I didn't even know we had till 30 seconds ago). The 6N teams + the Kiwi's & Aussies are basically the only ones who care about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

yes we need it, if only to have something else on the sports news than fupping premiership soccer. Yesterday I had to hear how the manager of an English team said one of his players was sad because he didnt win a ball game. FFS ! How is this worthy of news ? There is a bunch of ( admittedly mostly foreign folks in Ireland jerseys ) Irish people in China risking their necks in snow sports - and instead I have to hear one grown man talking about how another grown man is sad coz he didnt win ? What the actual ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The Premiership is basically Coronation Street for dull, vapid men, just as soap operas are aimed at banal, personalityless women.

The game itself is extremely boring, with the vast majority of matches being unexceptional.

For that reason news outlets need to write about anything else even remotely soccer related to fill up space. So there are stories about your sad player or the guy who is now more famous for kicking a cat than a ball.

Every year, at Six Nations time, there is an anti-rugby football thread started on Boards. Same goes when the RWC is about to kick off.

There is also about four anti-GAA threads started every year on this forum.

Both rugby football and GAA fans are always able to deal with the rabid criticisms of their sports from TV soccer fans in a reasoned and calm manner.

Any threads that criticise soccer are immediately shut down as the man-childs who support their TV teams go bat-$hit.

Deep down though they know that the Emperer has no clothes and can't deal with it.

I don't include LOI fans in this as they come from an actual soccer culture, whereas Irish Premiership fans are basically just watching the sporting equivalent of I'm a Celebrity, Let Me Out of Here.

I wouldn’t be too quick to “excuse” the LoI fan in this one, D. Certainly not the more recent converts. The number of LoI fans has increased, dramatically, over the last few years.

It is well known that there is a direct correlation between the, sharp, decline of Manchester United and the, sharp, rise in “support” of the LoI. Mostly with Rover or Bohs.

I would have great fears that if United were ever to turn things around and to start competing for the English premiership or Champions League that these, fickle, “fans” would be straight back into the pub, roaring at the TV screen, old United jersey stretched over their protruding gut and the LoI they’ve been so passionate about, with all its “purity”, will be long forgotten.

These guys have no loyalty.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Where I live it is mainly a game for Protestants. I don't get too heavily interested in any sport nowadays as i just feel bitter at the athletes knowing they were blessed genetically and have a better life than me. For example my old school won the Ulster GAA cup today and it was grim to watch them winning at life. People like that don't even know how well they have it in life. They just jump from one success story to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Exact same as me. Can't watch sport for this reason. I still play though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Last night.

Biggest game in Irish domestic rugby.

Munster v Leinster.

Both teams with internationals back.

In Thomond the spiritual home of Irish rugby.

First game between the two with unrestricted attendance since late 2019.

Full house you'd expect.

Tickets would be gold dust you'd expect.

No chance, not a sell out, about 20k in a 25k stadium.

That's where rugby is at.

Even the most high profile non international game can't sell out an average sized ground.

^^^ No retort so far to taking the holy game of rug in vain.....All quiet.

Yeah, the Munster fans didn’t fancy seeing their boys take another beating.

But, really, you’d have imagine there was a few who would have wanted to watch the hurling league final so a pub, or home, was the better “option”. Was flicking between the 2, myself.

Some of us, here, would be weighing up the “necessity” of travelling south for the game. While restrictions are gone it’s still wise to be cautious. And that decision wouldn’t have been taken lightly, have been to Thomond, myself, a few times and it’s always a great day out.

Rugby is in rude health in this country, contrary what some malcontents, on here, would like you to think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement