Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta considers shutting down Facebook and Instagram in Europe

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Next time he should try to delete the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,846 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I actually had the foresight to delete it back in the 60's myself. Before the rest of ye heard anything about it. I managed to keep it under wraps until the 90's when Al Gore invented it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

If you have Netflix, watch The Social Dilemma. It's dramatised but gives you a good idea how it works.

little known fact, I actually invented Al Gore but used some of YOUR memories.

No further questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The clowns running the place should really know how Europe were going to response, it's far from how it would go down in the US anyway.

This sums it up pretty neatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Meta is in no position to make any threats, Facebook and Instagram clearly cause overall negative effects for many users. It's not that long ago since Facebook was unrivalled in terms of social media, but there's no way that's going to happen again. It does look like it's past its best alreay.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ill be delighted to see the back of Facebook and Meta as a whole, its a shell of what it was back in 2008/9.

Tik Tok is the next Facebook, just in a different format

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's already on it's way out tbh. I have two teenagers and both are far more invested in Snapchat and TikTok than Facebook, Instagram or Whatsapp (neither have, nor want, a Facebook account for example).

It seems social networks have a life-span and if Meta really want to stay relevant, their only option is to keep buying out the "next big thing" that surfaces...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It is like that for any megacorp though. Once they get to a certain size the only way forward is acquiring startups. Same happened with Microsoft & Google, both of which have managed to play the acquisition game a lot better than Zuck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Boards could cobble a couple of developers into a room to build the new platform for posting cat videos.

It could be called "My Personal Space", or MY Space" for short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

A few observations;

1) from my own reading on Facebook's problems with its Instagram and Facebook platforms, it lacks the same content creators that say Tik Tok has which is resulting in a lack of engagement with the apps. It is also struggling to monetise its Reels in order to continue to justify its massive earnings.

2) the decline in its user base the younger you go is terminal and only points to things getting worse as these younger people grow up. But I understand that Facebook and Insta are almost off the radar altogether for teenagers.

3) fraud; Facebook/Meta is effectively just an advertising company and nothing more, there is nothing more special about it. And I don't mean in the same way that "Tesla is just a car company" but more like "WeWork is just a tenant that sub-lets". It is consequently lacking diversification in revenue and could collapse fairly quickly if as spending falls. Related to this, last year I read that Facebook was being accused of overstating the reach of ads that businesses paid for to reach users of Facebook/Insta, effectively that they were lying. So I wonder if perhaps the decline of Facebook has already happened but they have been fudging the success of ads to businesses in order to hide the reality that Facebook/Insta ads were not achieving what advertisers were being elt on they were achieving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

FB and I pulls out of EU? If they do, they will be replaced in this highly competitive virtual marketplace. Their loss. Others gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cpxxc

As if that was a bad thing? I simply didn't read the rest of the thread because I never bothered with instagram and I absented myself from FB.

We need neither of them. My teenage sons despite their full on embrace of social media have no interest. Neither have their friends.

I think that says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I don,t think they can afford to leave the eu, they still have millions of users in europe , most digital ads are on facebook,meta, instagram or else on google apps services .yes many young users just use tik tok or instagram.they will come to some agreement with the eu to have more strict privacy ,data controls.they would find it very hard to buy the next tik tok, snapchat, social media app due to regulators anti trust laws.they still have billions of users .yes they are losing younger users .Almost every company,business is on facebook.many small companys rely on facebook, whatsapp to contact customers and do business in many countrys

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

Advertisement