Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Of course they are and should be concerned. The price of oil is increasing but the point that I was making is that we will not see an increase in oil prices like last year unless oil hits 150USD a barrel as the base effect gets eliminated from Feb-2022 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Of course its a complete coincidence that many of those sectors you mention ie pharmacy, legal, insurance are where TD's run their businesses

Agreed, however the full effect energy inflation has not fed into other prices yet

Ppi v cpi

Kelloggs for example are planning 20% hikes this year

Do you know if the cpi makes allowances for manafacturers reducing size/portions as opposed to raising price of the existing portion

Yes it is measured on price per quantity. So if manufacturers reduce the size and keep the price constant this will lead to inflation in the CPI.

Increases in the PPI do not always feed into the CPI because depending on the product if the manufacture passes on the increase in cost it could lead to a decrease in sales and loss of market share etc.

e.g.

If a company thinks that the increase in cost is temporary this will lead to an increase in the PPI but is unlikely to be passed onto the consumer because the company are happier to accept a reduced margin and keeping the sales volume because they believe that the margins will increase in future.

The one measure I am keeping an eye on at the moment is consumer sentiment as drop in that is the first sign of cooling in the economy. It has has already dropped in the USA which means that consumers will be putting off purchases and as a result shows signs that the economy slowing down which should reduce inflationary pressures.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭yaknowski

Whatever about private companies charging the surcharge for not paying upfront, the government most certainly shouldn't be charging for doing this. Road tax is penalised up to 13% if you don't have the ability to pay 1 year in full. That could be immediately suspended.

• Advertisement

We are not more indebted than Greece.

Greece pay 5.4% of their tax revenue on paying interest on government debt and have double the level of debt than Ireland when compared to tax revenue and GDP/GNI.

The price difference for pre paid energy is extortionate, when you also consider it eliminates bad debts

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Watching the markets, I start thinking that rising rates is the only remaining black swan for property markets.

imo less so because of mortgage rates (Irish property has very high yields anyway and mortgage rates are quite high here for other reasons) but more because it will force the government into austerity, ie falling rents due to reduced support HAP etc. and less government bidding on properties as EU debt rules will block it.

The Government restructured its bond portfolio when rates were negative which means that the rates are locked for on average 10 years so rising rates will only really impact any additional borrowing and won't lead to a massive increase in servicing costs and austerity as in your example.

I also think you can't really call rising rates a black swan as it's not that it is a unpredictable event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

More, more, more. good luck to anyone paying their own rent trying to compete against hap-

HOMELESS CHARITIES WILL tell politicians today that the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) needs to be increased as renters continue to require to ‘top-up’ the payment as rents rise across the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Blah, blah GDP, blah blah the equally falacious GNI. Greece's debt per citizen: €37,876 ... Ireland's: €52,585.

Our debt is 38% higher per capita than Greece's. Ireland's average income is 32% higher than Greece's so, thats a 6% funding deficit if taxation is equal. I would like to work out what their debt works out to per income tax payer, but the language barrier is beyond me. Finding the figures for this country was a bit of a convoluted chore.

You don't pay off national debt with GDP or GNI, you pay it from tax revenue.

You don't pay off national debt with GDP or GNI, you pay it from tax revenue.

As the GDP/GNI grows so does the tax revenue.🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Yes, but as tax revenue is the relevant factor here surely it should be used for comparisons? And the projected growth of same?

GDP/GNI is all well and good but it doesnt translate into govt coffers as well as actual tax revenues do?

Are you an economist? If so, please do explain how the governement pays off a national debt that stands at €150,000 per income tax payer? I once tried to work out the average tax take per taxpayer, and I likely got it wrong, but my probably wrong numbers were something like €9K per income tax payer. Obviously non income taxes are not amenable to such a calculation, but they are not likely to make the €150K any more payabale.

If you really want to make your head spin, I know it does mine, think of another island nation, without any of Irelands advantages, that also has a population of about 5m, yet their national debt is €14,648 per head - only 28% that of Ireland's.

Strewth; stone the bloody crows - don't even begin to be adequate.

This bleep of a country is so gobsmackigly mismanged it's an out and out basket case. I do not want to be around when that piper has to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The whole sector needs root-and-branch reform. Ultimately I got fed up of the unprofessional (and in cases outright dishonest) conduct of EAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If so, please do explain how the governement pays off a national debt that stands at €150,000 per income tax payer

Governments worldwide never pay off debts

Its all built around the myth of perpetual growth, just keep rolling over your debts, and as your GDP (and revenue) grows and debts stay the same, in relative terms they have decreased.

It is all a pyramid scheme really, based around continuous growth in population and incomes, and when it ends it will be absolutely disastrous but sure look - thats life. If we were in charge of our own currency it would be a different story, you control your debt to a higher degree and so long as you arent run like a basket case, then debt management is OK. Common EU currency hampers our abilities, we cant inflate our own currency and devalue debts because we are at the whim of the ECB (and Germany).

Income tax only accounts for circa 40% of the tax revenue in Ireland.

By looking at the debt by income tax payer you are excluding 60% of the tax revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

We won't be paying back our national debt, ever. It is as simple as that. We will issue long term bonds that the ECB will buy in the event that the piper is due to be paid. As you have noted, it is insanity to even argue for fiscal prudence in the context of our ridiculous national debt - it is so unfathomably large that people talking about running balanced budgets and trying to service it need to rip up their old school/college textbooks as the old rules no longer apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

One thing that may be of interest to some posters (and apologies if this has been posted already)

These are the top liquidators in the country. I expect they are anticipcating an uptick in business in the next 3-5 years ...

If they are right it will probably have implications for property prices. Somewhat tangential but interesting in any event.

• Advertisement

They're probably reading these statistics and positioning for a potential recession;

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

You need to wake up if interest rates go up by 2% which is projected in the next 3-5 years we will have to service the debt to the tune of about 5 Billion a year on interest alone that has to be paid and its money that will be taken away from day to day spend. What your suggesting is trying to get out of a hole by continuing to dig downwards. In what scenario does this end well?

Why would we repay our own central bank (the ECB)? That would be a guaranteed, self-inflicted economic crash if we were scrambling to repay ourselves. It's totally hypocritical and nonsensical to back the QE policy of the ECB and at the same time worry about our national debt - the ECB will just print more money and buy new bonds for those due to expire. This is the natural progression from their magic money printer approach. Again, it comes down to the actual practicalities involved in attempting to repay existing debt, it's as close to impossible as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

They have found a way to close off "transportable" houses in a sense.

Try getting planning for a flat pack or modular home, borderline impossible. A lot of people I know would love to buy a small site and get one of the converted shipping container homes for ~80k. They wouldn't allow that either, even in this level of an emergency. Stuff like that has existed all over other countries for decades.

It's absolutely maddening how every solution is shot down and nimbyed.

There's no sense of urgency about helping people whose lives are being destroyed. We can't even help ourselves by being resourceful.

And the result of this will be further inflation and higher interest rates, rinse and repeat and we will be further in debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Probably the main concern with ireland is the over reliance on MNCs. As long as they keep growing and bringing in the corporate tax and huge wages then prices will only go one way. If changes come - a slowdown, changes tax laws etc then who knows what happens. But many have waiting a long time for change here.

Well, apparently this policy has no cause of inflation or higher interest rates if the ECB and local regulators statements are anything to go by. The causes of inflation are nothing to do with this policy for them.

so the whole of Europe are seeing inflation due to the continuation of printing of money to flood the continent with cash. Its only logical its caused inflation.

• Advertisement

I think liquidations will start before 3-5 years as costs are rising and margins will be squeezed as consumers reign in their spending. Can see a load of liquidations in the hospitality sector as they have increased their prices during covid when people had extra disposable income from working from home etc. And now as that the economy opens up I can see them rejecting the prices.

Advertisement