Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Last years starting team didnt have furlong, kellier, ryan, doris, conan, sexton, Aki, Hanson and billy burns started ross byrne came on. Game was close until Lowe made a bad defensive read

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Strongest pack we've ever had imo. Looking forward to seeing them against France. Said it before but VDF should have been called up to the Lions when JT got injured. Curry was pretty poor in both the 6 nations and the tour, was there on reputation. Lawes was OK, good half in the first test, but Beirne and VDF on the flanks would have been a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Big test for Porter. Antonio is monstrous and has improved over the years. I reckon this will be a 1 score game. We do have a good chance, but we must take our chances. France can score from anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Big claim there about our strongest pack ever. We look good at the moment but they've a way to go yet before that can be said in my opinion. Let's see how the two 6N and RWC go with this lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Don't know of its even that big a claim tbh. Who would you have ahead of them?

Like poc,doc,ferris,heaslip, sob certainly competes but this front row is leagues ahead of anything we've had before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭leakyboots

The front row, maybe, yes. But the claim was about the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

The front row are part of the pack though so if their that far ahead and other positions are close to parity that's significant

It's a very good pack. And there's a little depth too. I've been impressed with Bealham. I think he's upped his game over the last year. POM has been magnificent. He's playing top notch atm.

I think though, the squad does need the back ups to get match time against top level opposition. I'm think this summer and autumn. Players like Coombes; Timoney and O'Toole getting starts against tier one sides could serve us well for the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

To quote Bertie Ahern..."a lot done, more to do"

But the early signs are promising.

But other Irish packs have Grand Slams and 6Ns/5Ns championships in their back pocket.

These guys have played four test matches together, but they are playing a different game to previous Irish packs, I'll give you that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It would be very hard to say definitively that one pack is better than another one a decade ago. Or decades ago. I think this is possibly the most skillful and evenly balanced pack we have had though. Ferris, Heaslip and SOB, was probably our best ever back row combination and individually were probably all better players than the current BR. I would still think VDF, Conan and Doris have the ability to form a better unit. Front row is definitely the best unit we have ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OldRio

Not a popular opinion but in the grand scheme of things a loss this weekend could/should be the making of this team.

They could learn a hell of a lot about what the French could do to counter Irelands play.

On the other side will the French team show their full hand? Will Ireland show their full hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

What is all this talk about a guy not even in the squad, He is lucky to be involved at all, With guys such as AJ McGinty who is also Irish and a far better player declaring for another country, Paddy Jackson being unfairly excluded etc....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They can learn it just fine while beating the French off the park, thanks.

Both teams are going to throw the kitchen sink at this. We won't play them again in Paris until a potential quarter final and the muscle memory of having beaten them there last time out will be worth it's weight in goal and put plenty of doubt in French minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Michael Zozimus Moran

Saw this quote and see there is some stats gurus around here. Is it accepted that there is a battle for information at the top levels of the game or are the parameters known for most areas of performance? I see they’re talking about getting real time information on players now:

Eddie Jones quote below:

We get basic stats on actions, but they don’t tell us any more than we know. We don’t get any live GPS because of the stadiums – we don’t have the technology to do that.

“Information, in reality, hasn’t changed much for 25 years during the game. It’s about your observation, your gut feel, which is based on some data.

“For instance, each of the players have a stress signal of when they’re tired. We learn that about the players.

“When we take a player off it’s because they’ve shown us they’re in physical distress and don’t have much left in the tank. There’s a little bit of science, but a lot of it’s still gut feel.

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments gentlemen. Perhaps I'm over thinking this a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

Of course France will show their full hand just like Ireland will, I get the idea of not keeping things under wraps while at a RWC but this idea that teams keep things hidden away for nearly 2 years and then magically expect it all to work with the click of you're fingers is fantasy.

Plus those who think Ireland's RWC is over before it started thanks to the draw will have to sit back and think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Just speaking of people not in team, squad etc.

Have Ireland ever had such debt in the three-quarters?

14. Conway/Baloucoune 13. Ringrose/Henshaw/Hume 12. Aki/Henshaw 11. Hansen/Lowe

Realistically if any of the current starters were to get injured their replacement wouldn't be a drop off.

Particular depth at wing. Which is mad considering there has never been depth at wing in Irish rugby.

14.Larmour 11. Stockdale with Earls still hanging in... and there's Zebo! Plus the some prospects like McIlroy, O'Brien and Sexton.

Wing is sorted for WC anyway!

• Advertisement

When I saw the WC draw, I thought balls! Now, I think we can go far into the tournament. Right now we're on the correct course, imo. Farrell after a somewhat dodgy start, has grabbed the reins and is imposing a mentality, style and a lack of fear into the squad.

The future looks bright and even further down the road, the talent coming through the 20's over the past 3 years, is reason to be hopeful. I think we could make the WC final! Of course, a lot would depend on injuries and luck. And Sexton. If he's still performing like he is....

Farrell has really placed his stamp on Ireland. He's turning things around after the shocking world cup we came out of. It didn't look good a year ago, but he's turned a corner.

Woo there. I never said or implied systems work magically with a click of the fingers.

I know but I still dont get this idea of France keeping their cards to their chest, what exactly are they keeping them there for? This is arguably the biggest game they are playing this year, maybe also Scotland next week since they have become abit of a bogey team for France since Galthie took over, if this isnt the game to go all out then what game is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There are a lot of potentially good wingers in there but we're a long way from saying they could all slot in and not reduce the quality. Baloucoune looks the real deal but we won't know what he's like at test level until he plays at test level. Hansen had a great debut but he's made two tackles in an Ireland jersey, and the jury is still out on Lowe's defence tbh.

Ditto Hume, there's no real basis to put him in the Henshaw/Aki/Ringrose category yet.

Sportsfile - Ireland Rugby Squad Training Photos | page 1

Photos from training.

Bib theory indicates that Henderson and Henshaw are in the 23, Baird and Hume are out.

Edit; POM also in a bib, but so are Coombes and Timoney. Hmmm..

Post edited by Former Former Former on

The depth of quality is the point. Have we ever had that depth?

I understand the reservations on Rob Bal, Hansen and Hume but they all past my eye test! Quality internationals in the making.

And to note on Hume. I have Aki and Ringrose both unavailable before Hume starts at 13.

Have we ever had that depth?

In the centre - probably not tbh.

On the wings, I would say our best depth was around 2013/14 when Earls and Bowe were a world-class first choice pair, and we had Trimble, Dave K, Fitzgerald, Zebo, McFadden and Jones as the supporting cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Watching that Ringrose try again, I just don't know...

He gets very lucky that there's so much space for the defenders to try to cover. This tucking the ball under one arm business. It just doesn't look quite right. He has his limitations as a player, if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Do you have an alert set to trigger you when Carty is mentioned? It's pathetic how many of your posts are dedicated to denigrating him. Seriously, did he give you wedgies in school or something? As for the PJ comment... 🙄

You've been warned before about sh1t posting about Carty. Give it up.

• Advertisement

Forgot about McFadden. Dont think FitzGlass ever started a 6N on the wing. Felix? Gilroy did though! More depth than I remembered tbf.

Advertisement