Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭hopeso

I could well be proven wrong, but I believe anyone who starts contracting after winning that would be left with nothing after a few years. I seen a couple of examples around here where lads went out and set up contracting with new gear after getting money from insurance claims. They both ended up with nothing in the end, except unpaid bills. As they say, what’s got soft goes soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

There are always the ones.

Sad to see a contractor going around just before Christmas still chaisng money for work done months and months before.

Then again word does spread and eventually some lads can get no one to do work for them.

I have a relative a vet and the ones he hates most are the horsey types who cause him most trouble.

They would be quickest to sue and slowest to pay.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

There's an awful lot of catholic guilt in that post! The sisters fella won a digger on one of these a few months ago, already was doing some contracting work so now is busier than ever with the new machine doing plant hire stuff.

He'll be delighted when I tell him his new digger is going to fall apart in a couple of years! A bit silly, it's nearly like saying someone doesn't deserve something if it wasn't gained through hardship and misery. Now of course you might mean that someone goes off doing hire work without having a clue of what to do but that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭hopeso

Firstly, there's no catholic guilt in my post, as I'm not really sure what it actually is....

I suppose it wasn't clear, but I was referring to two local lads who got into silage contracting very handy, with no repayments or anything. Neither of them succeeded. I just saw a pattern emerging. I'm not going to speculate on why they failed, but it certainly wasn't because of the machines falling apart..

Fair play to the lad who won the digger, and is making a go of it. But, as you say, he had already started contracting off his own bat, so maybe he's more cut out for it than those two lads? Secondly, contracting with a digger, where there's potentially work available every day of the year, with only yourself to pay is a far safer prospect than starting a silage outfit with two months work a year and high labour and diesel costs every week regardless of when you get paid for the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

The guy on "EVENFLOW" on u tube saw it advertised and dreams of winning it. He even picked his driver's. Thing is in the dream his cheques are bouncing all over the place. He decides to fill the car with fuel and says the garage owner has no choice but to accept his cheque !.. it's very funny....

• Advertisement

So please tell me that the ar** has fallen out of the old tractor market since there are no posts here in best part of a week about actual old tractors for sale.

Maybe then I could finally afford to spend a few quid on a 165 or 175. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Starting to think you might get a Faberge egg for less than a 165, even the dry brake ones are off the scale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭older by the day

You are right there. The most important person in the contractor business is who ever is doing the books. I've seen it a few times. Great machinery and great drivers and it all goes to shite. I'm off to put Connie Collins and the machinery song in to YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Are these crazy priced massy 135 actually selling. I see on Done Deal lads are looking for UpTo €10k. Wore out ones are asking 3 or 4k. History looks like it might be going to repeat it's self. Hate saying it but I think hard times are on the way. Inflation, energy cost. Interest rates hikes etc etc all do not make for good reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

If it is, how can one profit from it? Buy a lowish houred tractor from the 90s/00s and park it up and sell when prices are higher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Figerty

If you look at the costs of the parts to restore them, and if the engine, lift pump etc has to be done, then 10K isn't far off where the price should be. Parts for cabs, lights, even paint cost more than people are willing to pay.

These small tractors are only really toys now. They were great in there day. They struggle with bale's of silage etc etc. People just love them I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭muddle84

They still have their uses on small holdings, especially those with bad ground. But that being said there definitely wouldn't be that many around but for the sentimental value!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's getting very hard now to get tractors that size anymore, due to the age of them. There's always a use for them. They won't be your main tractor. But they are there for a scraper in the winter and perhaps a small trailer or as a quad for the summer. Burn very little diesel. And if it's a 135 or 240 start the first turn of the key.

If availability was there of more modern second hand tractors in that powerbracket it might influence prices. But they didn't sell new (90's, 2000's) as these yokes were still going strong from when people bought them as their main tractor.

Very true. Alot of them have been on farms since new.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭divillybit

Just looked an interesting YouTube video about 'right to repair' where John Deere in the US were attempting to restrict what servicing / troubleshooting repairs customers of their newer tractors/combines could do before they would have to get the Dealership out to do the repair or service. With the increasing complexity of newer tractors I reckon certain tractors 100 - 150 hp from the 1990's and early 2000's will definitely appreciate in value, the likes of Valmets, basic enough, minimal electrics but very capable and reliable tractors. Newer machines that require repeated software upgrades just seem like a liability to me.

4wd MF 399's seem to be making mad money.

Whether we'll be able to afford to run these tractors in the future is another factor given how fuel prices are going.

Met a customs checkpoint today for the first time in a long time (and I do a good bit of driving) where they were dipping diesel tanks. I wonder are more people chancing putting green diesel in their cars or jeeps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Edging closer to the win a fully functional farm for £35:

Wonder will authorities step in soon over these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭muddle84

What do you think the authorities should do though? Do you mean for them to change legislation to put a stop to raffles?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,547 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Its just another form of gambling. It's amazing how insidious gambling like this can be. Newstalk run a Cash call one it start above 10k and can reach above 20 before being won. Entries cost above 2.5 euro by mobile phone. All radio and TV shows run these win a cash or holiday worth from 1-10k maybe more at time, the Evening shows, Late Late show, Dancing with the stars, Operations Transformation etc theist is endless. I was involved in helping run a sport lottery for a few years. It amazing the amount of people that put in 5 euro+ per week, or of there is an event will splash out 10 euro on tickets for the draw at the end.

People believe in the dream. They think this will solve all there problems for a while. It's the same as throwing 20-50 euro into a poker machine on a Friday evening. Over a year it's 1-2.5k.

Slava Ukrainii

I think these guys are operating in a grey area. There have been numerous complaints of them being fixed - including one which picked the 'wrong' winner and the video has been doing the rounds on what's app.

I think whenever the prize or the sum of tickets sold for over a certain value then there should be more rigorous controls over the draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

When you see a raffle to win €500 of scratch cards it really is facilitating the gambling addict.

There have also been stories of some of the prizes (tractors) not having log books etc and other issues.

As for the older kit, I think a fair amount of it is sentimental.

People know you can't expect a 135 to be lifting loads of bales.

Some might be just for show but they can still be used for odd jobs around the place.

If you are going out replacing a few stakes in a fence do you need a 120hp plus tractor with you or would something like a 135 with a transport box not do.

As for the mention by @divillybit about right to repair, the agri manchinery business has changed drastically with very modern technology.

The right to repair started off with farmers against JD, but before you knew it Case/NH, AGCO were all involved.

The real kicker was how Microsoft, Google, Apple were there as well because any legislation would affect them.

The day is coming when you won't be able buy vehicles outright, but have to lease them or pay subscription fees.

All these proposed driveless cars will eventually need map subscriptions in order to work.

The software industry has gone this way with subscription based services and modern farm machinery is now very much about software.

Manufacturers love the way it gives continous revenue streams and sucks the customer into long term deals.

The day will come when your brand new harvester, tractor, combine will go into creep mode or stop dead because your software license has expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭straight

I have a small David brown here and I can leave the power washer on it the most of the summer. Handy for small jobs around the place instead of taking off the fertiliser spreader, etc. Also very handy for squeezing machinery into a shed for the winter and taking it out again. Use it for a bit of spraying too and have a transport box for fixing fencing and stuff. 5 gallons of diesel will keep it going a looooong time.

I always get a kick when I think of David Brown making Aston Martin cars. And then including the DB initials in the models. i.e Aston Martin DB9.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I also love that Massey Ferguson made a 4WD system for F1 cars

I wonder did David Brown copyright the DB.

It would make the family a few quid.

He was a very interesting character. Started as aprentice in fathers business at 17 and cycled to work.

He designed and built cars before every going near tractors.

Also another man that fell out with old Harry.

He bought Aston Martin because he saw it for sale supposedly in the Times.

I wonder how he felt in later years seeing the tractor name disappear and Aston Martin go to shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I never knew that. I had a 1490 4wd with a front loader and it was very reliable.

I'm not sure on this but it was told to me.

Case bought out David Brown tractors for their gearing and transmission systems.

The case maxxum whine from the gearbox came from David Brown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

From what I know, these raffles are a "game of skill", where you have to answer a simple question. Reason for this is because I think to run a raffle you need to have a license granted to you from the Gardai. That radio competition is going on for a number of different radio stations, 65k or 58k, can't remember exactly, was won one day.

Advertisement