Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Blackrock have increased there holdings to over 7% now. History has a funny way of repeating itself as the yanks soak up the shares our clever Government are getting rid. Roll on another few years when we are well into another housing boom and those same yanks have offloaded at 3 and 4 times the money while good old Irish Gov aka the tax payer will be back in to bail them out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

First off the Government has lost no money on the BOI bail out. It has so far got all its money back and will show a handsome profit.

It's snookered. It needs to divest, it still has a huge holding in AIB and owned a substantial amount of PTSB. I imagine that BOI shared are being held back by the government disposal however I ge Government seems unwilling to dispose at much under 5/ share.

It's interesting that PTSB has climbed in price from 1.45 to over 1.55 in the last few days. There seems to be interest in it as a third banking force even with the government share overhand. Blackrock is in for the short term I think. It is accumulating shares which it can divest over time at a profit. When the Government share overhang drops below 5% the price will climb substantially. I be looking at 6+/share next year unless we get a worldwide recession

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ingeneer

Hit 6 euro today for the first time since Apr 2019 (not 2022!) 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

April 2022? Is that you Marty McFly?

I think it was back as far as Nov 2018 and before that it was trading above €8 back in Jan 2017 so it still has a long way to go before it is anyway near fully recovered. I even bought some back in 2011, saw the price rise then down. I have averaged down since. My average is €4.20, it was as low as €2.40 but I added more lately as the trend is up and looks like it's going to rally for a good while more.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ingeneer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I was lucky to get some at €2.008... I wish I knew then what I know now!

Think of all the tax you would have to pay if you bought in at that price when you would sell them

🙄

There is a bit left in them yet. I expect they to announce a dividend this year. It could be fairly substantial as they have not paid one in three years now.

Slava Ukrainii

Passed the 6 euro mark about 2 weeks ago retrenched to 5.5/ share. Gone past the 6 again last week not making an assault at the 7/ share.

Sold about 40% of my holding yesterday at 6.51/share😥😥😥😥😥

Taught they would slip back and I could buy at a lower price. Missed the opportunity at 6/share

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Share price will rise with the increase in rates as the banks can now but a 10 year German bond and get a yield of 20bps as opposed to placing cash with ECB and getting -50bps.

Also banks won’t have fully hedged the risk of lower yields which will mean the can take advantage of rising rates much quicker than in the past when they were locked into to the lower rate because it was hedged against rates going lower.

would estimate that share price should be close to 8 by the end of the year assuming ECB raise rates by 0.2bps and that there is no increase in credit risk during the period.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭bankboucy

Revisiting my post from last year, encourage folks to read it….….hope peeps didn’t have twitchy fingers, and continue not to have twitchy fingers…….I’ve updated my price target on BOI to 8.50-9.00 euro a share…..which would see BOI trade at book value (I.e. liquidation value) for the first time since the GFC………….BOI is trending towards RoE of 10% post Davy acquisition and KBC asset purchases…..at 8.50-9.00 per share and 10% RoE….Bank of Ireland will be priced to have a 10% free cash flow yield in an oligopoly banking market, in one of Europe’s best performing economies, with good demographics and where the government has told you that they are determined/obsessed to increase the volume of BOI’s main & most profitable product…..mortgages. While the ECB has also told you that they want to help banks…..by raising rates, they raise the margin on the product BOI sells….. BOI has 3 or 4 tailwinds right now….I wouldn’t be shocked to see BOI trade over 10 euro a share in the next 24 months when institutional investors put all the pieces together on what I just laid out.

Dont overthink this one and don’t trade it.

Post edited by bankboucy on

• Advertisement

Pascal still has about 7% left to offload which are due to be sold by May so after that it should take off. Till then there may be a few more buying opportunities.

You could be right, you could be wrong…..usually though when I see a 10 euro note sitting on the ground I go over and pick it up as soon as I see it….instead of hanging back and seeing if someone drops a euro or two extra on top. Ya get me?

No he has not. I think it was down to under 7% just mid January as they declared on the 19th they were no longer the largest shareholder. I say they have been actively trading it for the last three week. Would not be surprised if they are below 5 at present.

Slava Ukrainii

It was 7% at the last RNS on January the 19th, so they still have a few more to offload. 2 things have surprised me with BOI. Why haven't one of the Bigger pension funds haven't just bought the lot. Yes it's a lot of money but it's still peanuts for some of them funds who are hunting the markets for such investments. I think it could be that the minister is fearful of any repercussions by being seen to sell to one entity.

And secondly why haven't any of the ratings agencies upgraded the banks outlook. Standard & Poors for example haven't done anything since April last year.

Block sales like your suggesting, where the selling party is a sovereign entity are rife with conflict of interests……easier for all involved to simply sell a modest amount into the daily volume at an acceptable pace.

In regards to S&P rating upgrades……I’m sure they’ll get around to it……BOI feels big & important to us in Eire….. in reality its about the size of a large US credit union…….S&P has better **** to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭littlevillage

BOI motoring along nicely now though. One of my better investments. Got in around €4.80 last year. In no rush to sell, as others have said on this thread, rising interest rates should be good for banks in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Just remember the first sign of bad news on the economy will = a drop in price because of the impact on policy relating to rates.

Yep - but bad news on the economy front …..equals lower stock prices generally not just for banks…..but as we know it doesn’t really matter what Ireland’s economy is doing per se…..it’s what’s happening at an EU level that’s driving the ECB rate decisions…..the Irish economy could be crashing and cratering as it was 2011 and the ECB decided to raise rates despite what was happening in Ireland, Greece, Italy & Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

Pascal's holdings gone below 6% now. Looks like Wallstreet aka Blackrock are the ones soaking up all the free-float. With Blackrock calling the shots expect the Bank to begin milking profit out of the Duopoly from now on. Good for shareholders, not so nice for borrowers.

It's hit €7 today and doesn't look anyway near like slowing down. Something tells me this is going much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I bought BoI at:

2007 = 12.09 and 10.58

2008 = 6.90

2009 = 0.70

2010 new share offer = 0.55

2011 new share offer = 0.10 skipped it

2014 = 0.34

2017 = 0.23

Then there was a stock split 1-in-30.

After all that, my BEP is still high, at 18.94.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭carrickbawn

Following a few uncertain weeks of share price it will be interesting to see what happens on Monday when results for 2021 will be announced.

Hopefully positive news.

They are now making money hand over fist. They still haven't done any write backs to the books even though the property market is fully recovered and now looks to go on another sustained growth period for at least the next 8-10 years.

Market is expecting growth in Wealth and Insurance, Retail Ireland, Corporate and Treasury along with them holding ground in the UK. A dividend to be reinstated, they'll probably start it in the region on 10c but could be higher. I'd prefer a share buyback scheme as it's more tax efficient. Who knows, maybe Francesca is in favour of that too.

Blackrock accumulating more shares is significant, it wouldn't surprise me if they were acting on behalf of another entity like Norges Bank. Some very positive news is they have no significant ownership by any Russian oligarchs, or are holding any Russian debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

BOI seems to be in freefall these days. After 4 years of holding I was ready to pull the tigger with a nice profit but held off hoping for a recovery.

Am almost back at b.e.p. now . Since Ms Mac Donagh made her announcement it seems to be all downhill. Was hoping for an increase before the ex dividend date,but it doesn't seem to be happening...

Was lucky enough to off load at an average of 6.58 a week ago. Used 50% of the funds to buy back in at 5.75 yesterday.

They seem to hit a wall lately at between 6.5-7/share, support is at 5.5-5.75.

The resignation of the CEO is a brake because of the renumeration limits set by legislation

Slava Ukrainii

Well done you.I should have done the same. Hindsight is great.

TBH I missed 2-3 opportunities before that. However this time I bit the bullet. I still only committed 50% if funds back right or wrong I am unsure

Slava Ukrainii

Downward movement is due to the Government selling. They are still committed to having all there holdings sold by the end of May and must have less than 2% left. I'm holding tough and long term here. Another 100% upwards is very possible in the next 18 months. They are making serious profits, Interest rates on the up which means even more profits plus another round of buybacks again next spring will send this soaring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mr_Jacko

State reduces Bank of Ireland stake to below 4%

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0510/1297196-bank-of-ireland-stake/

Advertisement