Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Yep I usually watch his reviews, found this one very downbeat compared to others.

Maybe it's a German thing, I've read a few reviews from German sites that just don't like it at all.

You'd have to make up your own mind before deciding, definitely needs a good test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

As they say, they can’t all be wrong. These guys sit in different cars every day of the week - slow speed ride quality is the one thing that’s easily comparable across them all, from a Ferrari to a Nissan. especially when they use the same road to specifically test it - your ass becomes pretty well tuned to what is acceptable or not.

nothing wrong with the fiesta ST ride of course either - it’s what you’d expect from a sharp small hot hatch, but not in a 2 tonne family MPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I posted back earlier in the thread... I have a Model Y LR 7 Seater in California. Fremont build March 2021.

I too read the reviews of the hard ride. Test drive confirmed that the ride was perfectly comfortable. I did the test drive on the 19” Gemini wheels and then a quick second run on the 20” induction wheels.

The 20” was a slightly firmer ride, but you’d have to be really picking at straws to tell the difference. In the end I went with the 19” for my purchase and it’s a comfortable ride. I’ve never once while hitting a bump or going over roads with construction going on, felt that my teeth were about to fall out. Quite the opposite.

10 months into ownership I can confirm that all these reviews about the harsh ride are mostly BS. It's like some motoring journalist in the early reviews said it and every one since has latched onto it to get clicks. Not once in 10 months have I thought about getting the suspension changed. Not once have the family or kids complained... and believe me, there are some shocking roads in California too.

As for handling and driving, it’s excellent. My previous EV was an eGolf and it’s the ultimate fast EV go-kart experience. A fantastic drive.

I was really surprised that the Y handles really well in comparison. I’ve given it a good run across some California back mountain roads and thrown it into a few corners. Sticks to the road perfectly.

I thought the higher centre of gravity would be an issue, but it kind of hunkers down and comes out the other side like a smaller car would. Really is a fun car to drive on back roads and as a motorway cruiser.

I’m thinking of picking up the 20” induction wheels in the summer perhaps, or maybe powder coating the 19” geminis to black. I don’t mind the silver alloy or aero cover when needed, but the black wheels really complete the look.

As for a family car, it’s great. We’ve 2 kids in car seats, buggy in the boot etc. All fit perfectly. Lots of space.

Bottom line. If you like your driving experience to be like driving in a big fluffy cloud, then Tesla 3/Y probably isn't for you. On the same note, your teeth won't fall out going over a bump. I like a sportier feel. I like to feel the road. There's a reason that the demand for this model in the US is so high. It really is the perfect car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Would you not at least take one for a test drive first?

• Advertisement

not meaning to dismiss it, as you’re an owner, but you’re driving it in California, where no motoring journalist has really been disappointed with the ride, albeit commenting that it’s firmer.

here in Europe, 90% of respected motoring journalists say it’s too firm - that doesn’t mean its undrivable, (I’ve had bmw msport suspension for years and it’s ‘too firm’ too), but this is a family car - a test drive of it beforehand is crucial and then everyone just makes up their own mind.

dismissing motoring journalist opinions when it comes to ride quality is just silly imho. They drive ALL the cars, and they invariably love teslas, but are critical of the Y’s ride.

when you constantly jump from car to car, ride quality at normal speeds is the easiest thing to compare across them all, but it’s also a personal thing.

Post edited by sk8board on

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Perhaps there is a difference in ride between Freemont and MIC Model Y?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

That sure is one ugly vehicle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Don't forget to drink your two litres of water today.....point being that something gets said once and then repeated by all even though not correct

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

One tries to bring democracy to your country and steals your oil, and the other makes copies of every electronic item in your house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

One thing I have noticed with the Model 3 that the ride has gotten more supple after 24 k. Only realised recently that it's way less jittery now after 6+ months on the road. I thought that our car was a bit too firm in the beginning but just about right now.

In general, it takes a while for the shocks to bed in. It was actually exactly the same with my motorcycle when I changed the suspension unit last year. Perhaps that explains why there are differing views about Y out there? Perhaps the firmness is a good thing for longevity of the suspension in Irish roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

I rented a Model Y in Florida last month using Turo. It was a performance with FSD.

Never felt the suspension was too firm. Very easy drive and externally not too big a vehicle. We aren’t keen on SUV type vehicles, it has more of a large saloon feel or CUV. Internal space is fantastic, front & rear seats. About 50% more boot space than our old BMW 5 series estate despite having similar external dimensions. Y is 10cm shorter but about 10cm wider & 10cm taller than the 5 series.

I wasn’t brave enough to try FSD for very long but intelligent cruise control was excellent with traffic light recognition. It really adds an extra safety layer especially appreciated when you have to drive with a little jet lag. Auto stop & start at traffic lights, I was using it for city driving with no issues. Lane assist very accurate too and quick to warn you if it was struggling and needed manual help.

I was convinced and we’ve ordered non Performance.

BTW - recommend using Turo. Good way to try out cars. Was even able to select the same colour we wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Il leave it two years ,by then it will be clear what the story is, 66k can get you a second hand Audi etron and no concerns of ride comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

not sure if this was posted here before

skip to 14:20 for Richard's summary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Is the Model Y coming here as a 7 seater? Looking on the configurator its showing only as a 5 seater or am I missing something?

It does look very good overall but it would want to be as the starting price is 70k and presumably the 7 seater would be nearer 75k on the road inc met if it is available at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'd imagine when Berlin gets up to full speed the Y's coming from there will have the 7 seat option.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭carloscorreia

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just to warn people, that's from the other top gear not the trio, if you dont want to support the new format.

Summary: "one heck of an allrounder"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

UK VIVs assigned with delivery first week in March

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

VW/Audi and BMW full electric vehicles look so much better and way more premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

If by premium you mean more old fashioned. They are also more expensive so they should be better..... But they're not

Completely disagree, BMW and Audi are making cars for over a century…..

You’re entitled to your opinion though as am I.

Post edited by PaulJoseph22 on

americans have always had far lower standards when it comes to cars than europeans , hence why the likes of Tesla gets away with shoddiness in terms of finish over there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

My wife is on her 4th BMW and I wouldn't trade my Model 3 for the 4 of them combined. Great to see the Germans being dragged reluctantly into making EVs. They're bad value in comparison to a Model 3, VAG has bad UI, software issues. Hopefully BMW do better. World needs all the EVs it can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Cars are so cheap there compared to here. I expect that’s part of the reason.

70k v 127k ( don’t forget we pay higher tax and earn less )

https://www.carzone.ie/car-reviews/bmw-m3-competition-2021/841

My brother has a 2021 Tesla, Poorly fitted panels, sub standard paint job are just some of the issues…..the world doesn’t need more EV’s, it needs less cars, when people trade in their ice vehicles for EV, do they dispose of the ICE vehicle or is someone else driving it now, we need a better public transport system, smaller houses, zero single dwellings, cut out the disposable, constant change culture, cheap clothes, new iphone/iPad every year and that’s just a start.

Post edited by PaulJoseph22 on

Yes, but he also nearly lost his teeth on the Belgian pave test, jeez he could hardly sit in the seat 😂. says the ride is far too harsh for a family car, and “and any point any one of the wheels seems to get unsettled by something that none of the other wheels seem to notice”.

so really it’s the same as the other reviews - a great allrounder but the ride is harsh for a family car

• Advertisement

Yep, agreed. Mind have you ever driven over those "kasseienstroken"? ;-) They are far worse than even the worst of Dublin's third world paved streets 😂

Advertisement