Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

He really is some gobshyte isn't he.

Not having the basic decency to withdraw the Starmer remarks even as Starmer is getting hassled in public with those Savile comments being a factor.

and I don't see why he wouldn't withdraw the comments ecen if purely for political purposes - he seems to have very badly misjudged how even his own party colleagues feel about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Hi party colleagues don't care about it, they only care that it looks bad for them. Public opinion is very much against it and so they are trying to back peddle on their previous stance with at best was 'sure does it really matter?'.

Johnson, having failed to withdraw it immediately is now in the tough position that to apologise or withdraw it now makes him look A) weak, B) wrong & C) subject to the whim of the MP's. He might as well resign on the spot.

The calculation, as it always is, is that something else is bound to come along to push this off the front page so simply ignore it and hope it goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think it was going away, but now a bunch of crazy arseholes (think I read the people who harrassed Starmer yesterday may be linked to Piers Corbyn) have brought it back up again. So they're trying to target Starmer with it, but it's going to impact Johnson a lot more because like you say, Johnson now has to try and retract what he previously said again and make clear Starmer did nothing wrong, or dig his heels (even further) in and be called out for causing the harrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Look, everything that has transpired over the last week has been media driven. If the Brutish media didn't give wall to wall coverage of what Boris said re Saville for more than a full week now, there may have been no mob at all.

And that is my point, rather than the rights or wrongs of anything anyone said.

What is going on in the UK at the mo, which is media driven, is beyond ridiculous. And it's not for the first time.

I can't help but be reminded of when Boris made a remark in the HoC that Jo Cox would be happy to see Brexit done, when what he clearly meant was that she would be happy to see democracy done. A Labour MP stood up and spewed outrage at him in hysterical fashion and the British media backed up her outrage.

Do you know what happened to her? She lost her seat and Boris went on to win an overall majority subsequently.

If Boris manages to hold on, that I predict is what is going to happen again.

I think what he should do now is call a general election, because I see no reason for him to resign for all this media driven hypocritical faux outrage. I think like before the 2019 general election, the British media have largely ignored the demographic of people who voted for Johnson that gave him an overall majority. Well, at least there is one new media channel that takes a more nuanced view on Boris, and no wonder that channel came into existence in the first place as I'm not the only one that holds the view I have on the British media Westminster bubble cohort, who think they are the one's who should decide what should be or not be.

Gotta love Twitter for calling out faux outrage hypocrisy

But it's not hypocrisy really is it. It's just a great load of spin from people with an agenda who use the media to spin a narrative for their own gain, as if the general public are too stupid to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Lammy, like Johnson has no personal political belief, bar personal advancement.

This is laughable. I don't care about Alex but your attempt to defend the recent stuff is a joke. Trollish, even.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's standard whataboutery in a desperate attempt to shut down criticism from Johnson because they know they have nothing real to defend him with.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Well I see what you mean there, and I wouldn't particularly disagree.

That was just a random one from Twitter where there was many today, including one there some time ago where Mogg and his son were heckled, but there didn't seem to be as much outrage about it. Go figure. And the milkshake Farage one where it was celebrated by some, including by the comedian Jo Brand.

Oh, and I do recall when Anna Soubry was heckled, that got great press. Wasn't a guy arrested because of that? Well in that case he was over the top and I would agree he was hounding her. See, I'm fair. 

There certainly is a significant recent history of it.

The milk shake on Farage, going to Moggs private home, this with Starmer.

It's all vile

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What you are omitting from your comparisons is that whilst JRM and Farage were abused in reaction to things they said or did, Starmer was abused because of deliberate untrue smearing done by the PM purely to divert attention from him being investigated by the police. There is a big difference.

Nope. Are you seriously telling me that no one said (inc any Labour supporter or labour member or labour mp) anything disparaging about Mogg or Farage on TV over the years. Scum, wasn't it?

Once might say to deflect from all that, well it's wasn't the leader of the opposition that said it. Because it's not like an 'exact' comparison.

Well, I don't really buy that. And I reiterate, the media has publicized what Johnson said for a full week now non stop. Anyone would think that is deliberate, (if one were cynical and I am when it comes to the British media), in the hope it gathers moss, and have a knock on effect. And it did. Great press for the media, esp Sky News, who are leading all this nonsense.

He could have retracted it and stopped it dead. Johnson choose not to.

Hardly the media to blame for yet another bad decision

I would only defend Johnson on the basis that before the 2019 election the Westminster media bubble where totally and utterly against him, an example I gave of that in a recent post. And what happened after that?

You can criticize Johnson all you like, just like I can criticize the criticism as being way way over the top, which has led to this current state of affairs as seen in the British media.

No doubt about it, the British media want their scalp. They will look very foolish if in fact there is no vote of confidence at all which they are clearly gagging for.

Speaking of criticism of Johnson, I hear they've been going after his wife of late. Charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,863 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This is just turning into pure conspiracy forum stuff at this stage. Sad attacks on the media because they wont back your hero. Especially funny when you take into account that Johnson and Gove were both involved in said media.

I don't know what you're on about. I've never defended anything. All I'm doing is commentating on the media driven state of British politics. How is giving an opinion trolling? Or is some people's definition of 'trolling' not going along with some perception of a ' widely accepted view'. What are you looking for here on a discussion forum? Full agreement on everything? No decent? On anything at all? Oh an 'echo chamber', I get it. I can give you directions to one if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In 2019 and for many years before the Westminster media bubble paid him a prince's fortune and gave him a column where he could publish his lies without contradiction or correction. This is hardly an indication of bias against him.

And your claim that what happened to Starmer is the media's fault because it wouldn't have happened if "the Brutish media didn't give wall to wall coverage of what Boris said re Saville for more than a full week now" is just bizarre. Johnson made his statement in the House of Commons, which is the most public and most significant forum in the country, and one which the media are considered to have a public interest obligation to cover. And he made the statement because it was shocking and outrageous, and for no other reason. He wanted exhaustive coverage of this statement and, as a seasoned media professional, he knew exactly how to get it. It was certain that an independent, impartial, professional media would give this statement a great deal of attention; that was his object in making the statement.

Basically, you are (once again) characterising independent, impartial, professional media behaviour as bias against Johnson. This reveals far more about you than it does about the UK Media.

Whenever Boris does anything wrong, you blame something else. The media, the rules being to harsh in lockdown and so on. When polling shows he's performing poorly, you conclude it's a conspiracy. 😂

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm afraid the faux outrage isn't convincing. The media are overwhelmingly pro-Tory. They're just after Johnson now because he's toxic to the brand.

He won a majority on a minority of the vote so pretending he embodies the will of the people here is also an easily debunked fantasy. Now that he's universally despised, he's done. He's tanked in the polls much worse than Corbyn ever did.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nevermind that, Lockdown is over all, restrictions to be cancelled , people won't have to self isolate !

At some point in the future epidemiologists will be able to work out how many excess deaths this will cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,863 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I knew there would be photos at some stage.

Maybe it was a quiz about policy so therefore a "work" quiz

Again, before we get the apologists to try to pick holes in the story, none of this is because Johnson had a drink, or even a quiz. He was asked about these gatherings and he choose to lie. Not the media, not the lefties, not the remoaners. Johnson decided, and all the ministers and party members opted to brazen it out on the basis that they would simply lie and nobody could prove anything.

He lied. He lied to parliament, he lied to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The leakers have been doing well, ratcheting it up just when big dog thinks it might be over.

The hilarity is that the leakers are effectively setting the governments agenda as they scramble to announce zany schemes (minister for brexit opportunities 🤣) to distract attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Yep. they knew Johnson would be desperate to get to the Commons recess at the end of this week without any more cock-ups. Then he would have had some breathing space until the 21st of the month.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Another day another dog whistle. At this stage the DUP should know when their buttons are being pressed.

Still there's an impressive list of stuff the DUP has wasted political capital on fighting the power while knowing Westminster would impose it anyway. And right now they need friends in Westminster. And Boris needs a puppet and a fool for his political games.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,365 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Like his namesake from Fawlty Towers, this Mr Johnson appears to enjoy champagne when he's 'on the job'. Or perhaps he's going to take a leaf from our civil service and inform us it was actually 'sparkling wine'...

It's over here in all but name, the Danish ended all restrictions a week or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This. If Downing Street had modestly competent PR advisers (or, perhaps, if the PM would listen to them) when all this kicked off the parties would have been admitted and apologised for, and the public debate wold have been about a lapse of judgment many months ago in having had office parties. By lying, and lying to Parliament, they make it about character, about fitness for office, and so about an issue that is still very much a current issue. AllForIt's theory that there is a media conspiracy to hound Johnson over this only makes sense if you accept that Johnson himself has to be part of that conspiracy. Every time he's faced with a choice between apologising and lying, he lies, thereby reinforcing the "Johnson the liar" perception that is now so damaging to him. No media conspiracy can force him to do that; he chooses to do it. He even chooses to do it when the lies are almost certain to be exposed because, hey, there are photographs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newport2

Advertisement