Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

Residential boiler maker says we need to use boilers and the alternatives are no good, imagine that lol

Boilers are going to go the way of the dodo. Anything which contributes emissions/GHG's to generate power or heat will be taxed or penalised out of existence over the next few decades.

Hydrogen is unlikely to ever be used that way at any kind of scale, at the very least, because of the nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions.

Two (1 & 2 below) European studies have found that burning hydrogen-enriched natural gas in an industrial setting can lead to NOx emissions up to six times that of methane (the most common element in natural gas mixes).

(1) Cellek, Mehmet Salih, and Ali Pınarbaşı. “Investigations on Performance and Emission Characteristics of an Industrial Low Swirl Burner While Burning Natural Gas, Methane, Hydrogen-Enriched Natural Gas and Hydrogen as Fuels.” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 43, no. 2 (January 11, 2018): 1194–1207. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2017.05.107.

(2) Sadler, Dan, et. al. H21 Leeds CityGate Project Report.” City of Leeds, 2017. https://www.h21.green/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/H21-Leeds-City-Gate-Report.pdf.

Now you can collect the emissions, however, this only works at very low levels i.e. NG+H2 mix so far. Its yet to be seen if it can be done at higher concentrations i.e. 100% hydrogen.

Hydrogen will have a part to play in the form of storage and fuel, but the fuel will be consumed through fuel cell tech (shipping, heavy machinery). It still remains to be seen how it will be used for power generation (fuel cell vs combustion) as combined cycle turbines make sense right now for a variety of reasons, but as the world gets more clued into the control of emissions they may find themselves squeezed out in favour of fuel cell options

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

how is being punished for driving a petrol/diesel car or having the impertinence to heat your home a way to 'fight climate change'? The government have found a new way of getting more money - thats it. The climate hasnt been recovering in case you havent noticed.

as far as carbon taxes are concerned - where are the equitable cost replacements? Where are the electric cars for 15 grand new? Energy costs are already through the roof, and carbon taxes are making them more expensive. wheres the alternative? Its all stick and not a lot of carrot. in reality the government should have created a lot of carrot before bringing out the sticks.

Where are the electric cars for 15 grand new?

Where are the ICE cars for 15 grand? About the only thing out there near that price is an i10 and you sure as hell won't own one for that price.

Please be realistic in your complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If they are serious about doing something about global warming they cant afford to leave any stone unturned. They'll have to just get over the bit of Nox. Anything that isnt oil should be considered an option. I really doubt the electric car + heatpump + roof top solar panels + lots of huge wind turbines everywhere is the 1 and only solution

• Advertisement

I really doubt the electric car + heatpump + roof top solar panels + lots of huge wind turbines everywhere is the 1 and only solution

I agree, this will require a wide variety of solutions, some of which are still being developed e.g. CCS, green hydrogen etc etc

As for nox, the capture of it will be the main determining factor. They are not going to remove diesel engines from our cities and then bring swathes of nox emitting boilers in to replace them. Would be a backwards step in terms of air quality and one they are unlikely to take

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I realise that efforts have to be made to reduce emissions etc. but honestly all this talk of retrofitting in a little pinprick of a country like Ireland is a bit OTT for the benefit to the World. Wait until China, Russia, India and Brazil and the US contribute to the climate change agenda and then follow. We do not have to be first at everything really.

Paying higher bills for energy costs sounds far better value than lining the pockets of builders and heating engineers. I can afford to retrofit in the morning, but my house is late 60's, thick walls, good insulation and a new eco boiler, the heating bills are not excessive, so I won't be partaking. Don't see the advantage for me in my selfish state of mind.

I'm guessing though that BER ratings will become a minimum standard only (say B) before a mortgage is issued thanks to a new Greenie law or something. Carrot before stick. Watch this space..

I'm guessing though that BER ratings will become a minimum standard only (say B) before a mortgage is issued

There's already different mortgages available, with better rates for B2+.

I give it 10-15 years before it becomes next to impossible to sell anything C1 or less as banks will have their own climate commitments and won't lend to purchase low BER homes.

A large number of banks, investment firms and asset managers are already committed to not financing high emitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

That's what I meant, it will become mandatory to have a minimum BER to qualify for a mortgage eventually. Anyway that means that only a small cohort will be able to afford a high BER house (second hand anyway), as the vendors would have had to invest in order to sell.

Cash buyers excepted of course, wasn't it always thus?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Surely lettuce head is taking the bike, aboard the yacht Greta took?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This latter is what needs to be watched. The Greens really have become a thorn in the side of the less well off in society. When they were last in, they banned bedsits and this has had significant consequences for those who needed basic and affordable rooms to let. Rental costs rose.

Next we'll have all rental properties to be insulated to new standards. We'll see cases of tenants 'evicted' to allow substantial works to be conducted and then rentals advertised at increased rates, justified by the additional expense. Despite the taxpayer funding this expense in part.

Then we may have minimum BER ratings on mortgages and again screw those who don't toe the Green line.

The motor & construction industries must love the Greens.

The ordinary Sean or Sinead should be wary of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The problem is the greens ideology is fundamentally incompatible with the free market capitalist parties they go into coalition with. The result is that is all these bans and mandates that require people to spend more money & keep the economy going.

If you do all the greens tell you to (buy electric car, heat pump, insulation, solar panels from elite list of qualified installer) you could be spending the bones of 100k. You'll be lucky to see it back in 20 years, and if you do it's only because of the artificially high price of fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think at least 58% of the worlds population won't be participating in any climate initiatives that aren't zero cost. Ireland's total contribution to the supposed problem to date is an astonishing 0.13%. A pod of whales farting in synchrony probably has more impact than this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Two years old, before the chip shortage.

A Kia Picanto starts just above 15k, a Toyota Yaris just below 20k, Volkswagen Polo starts well over 20k. The i10 starts over 15k. Nissan Micra starts at 19k. Those are the cheapest prices from the five most popular brands.

You might be able to buy a basic Dacia Sandero for under 15k, but that would be the very basic model.

pedantic. I'll raise it to 19000 - wheres the electric cars for that price.

lets not discuss the environmental impact electric car battery manufacturing has, or the fact kids mine the cobalt.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The Toyota Yaris Luna costs €20,880 versus €24,240 for the hybrid version.

Given current petrol prices and consumption levels for those cars, once you drive more than 100k over the lifetime of the car, the hybrid is cheaper. As the carbon tax increases over the next few years, the distance you have to drive to make the hybrid better value falls.

hybrid - and 25% more expensive than I asked for. plus a very very limited choice (nevermind that its electric with its terrible environmental and human exploit issues)

The pure EV market segment is growing rapidly

• 2016 – 0.2%
    • 2017 – 0.4%
    • 2018 – 1%
    • 2019 – 2.9%
    • 2020 – 4.5%
    • 2021 – 8.3%

Its no wonder car manufacturers are shutting down ICE development. With that rate of market growth, the ICE market will be dead long before any ICE bans become effective

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Not necessarily cheaper. Those hybrids are generally terrible on longer journeys. Grand on short town commutes but quite thirsty on longer journeys, which, for example, a lot of my rural dwelling colleagues have to do every day to get to work.

Post edited by opinionated3 on

• Advertisement

"A car battery for the electric car weighs about 500 kg, the volume is the size of a suitcase. It contains 12 kg of lithium, 30 kg of nickel, 20 kg of manganese, 15 kg of cobalt, 100 kg of copper, 200 kg of aluminum (production is extremely power-hungry), steel and plastic. Inside are 6831 lithium-ion cells.

It should be of concern that all these toxic components come from mining. For example, to make a car battery, you have to process 10 tons of brine to produce lithium, 15 tons of ore for the cobalt, 2 tons of ore for nickel and 12 tons of ore for the copper. A total of 200 tonnes are dug up from the earth's crust for a single battery.

Diseases and child labor are found behind 68% of the world's cobalt and a significant part of a battery comes from Congo. Their mines have no pollution controls and they employ children who die from handling this toxic material. Should we include all these sick children as part of the cost of an electric car?"

https://abounderrattelser.fi/elbilars-batteri-och-sol-vindkraftverk/ (you'll need google translate)

Now do the same for the ICE industry. You'll find much , MUCH worse. Go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

To which you can add all the environmental and real costs in terms of generating power to charge them. It's a three card trick.

The only sustainable way to tackle 'climate change' in terms of transport emissions is to drastically limit it. That's the honest message that the Greens should be preaching. Not this consumerism and churn the market ideology. They really have their lost their way enroute to power.

no-one is spearheading the ICE industry as the saviour of the environment.

For very good reason

Note I don't think EV's are a saviour either, I just think they are the least worst option when it comes to the car.

There are many more better options but they require a fundamental shift in how we live and get from A to B and more importantly, where A & B are. Case in point, one-off housing all over the shop forces anyone living in them to use a car

hydrogen hopefully

"there is still a real chance that hydrogen could find itself as a much more prominent fuel in the near future. "

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/electric-cars/93180/hydrogen-fuel-cells-do-hydrogen-cars-have-future

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

This latter is what needs to be watched. The Greens really have become a thorn in the side of the less well off in society. When they were last in, they banned bedsits and this has had significant consequences for those who needed basic and affordable rooms to let. Rental costs rose.

I'm not a fan of the Greens by any means to such an extent that if any of them call to my door canvassing, they'll be run out the gate pronto. Pack of merchant bankers if you get my drift.

That said, I think it's gas the way the Greens are being blamed for everything when it's really FF/FG who have the most power in Government. They make up far and away the largest portion of the Government. FF = 36 TD's. FG = 34 TD's. Greens = 12 TD's. So it's 70 v 12 yet the 12% get all the criticism for any environmental or Green legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

This is exactly how FF/FG want it because they know the green brigade will never be satisfied with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Does this even mention the plundering of fresh water reserves in south America to purify the lithium? But screw them and their ecosystem, I have green virtue signaling I need to do here!

Cobalt now has definitive links to cancer too, but at least we're saving the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I don't think they are being blamed for everything. And it's not to do with the greens having a smaller number of TDs. As the glue that enabled the coalition to form the present government- they appear to hold an inordinate amount of influence within certain policy areas. Almost as if they have some weird type of veto or something. And it's that which is coming under fire atm and rightly so.

Advertisement