Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Agree 100% with this. West Ham have gone down in people's estimations by the way Moyes tried to explain picking Zouma. No one is going to shed any tears now if they miss out on Champions League football, whereas up to this, everyone was supporting them as underdog.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

At the end of the day, Moyes' job is to win games. I don't believe for a second that we would have won yesterday had Diop played and Moyes knew that so he made the decision which is his job.

What Zouma did was awful and stupid and will be punished, hopefully severely. But there's a lot of hypocrisy flying around the place. I see one of the club's sponsors in the States saying that they're "evaluating their sponsorship with the club" while at the same time promoting and selling tickets to fcuking Seaworld on their website! In the grand scheme of things (owners' horrific human rights abuses, football's cozy relationship with gambling companies that ruin people's lives etc.), kicking a cat is, unfortunately, a minor thing.

And generally no one likes us very much anyway (as seen by countless fans criticising the players for daring to celebrate at the weekend).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Shedite27

This felt different to "no one likes us anyway". He was booked for the entire 90mns by his own fans last night. I'm a WH fan and think it was awful. The fans are just about coming round to the whole Olympic stadium thing, this was a PR disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Looks like Lanzini starting instead of Benrahma behind Antonio today, away to Leicester. Benrahma's shown flashes of excellent footwork, but overall dipping in form of late, whereas Lanzini consistently better, so good call. Otherwise, nothing to see here. Move along.....

Why can't we ever take the bloody chances handed to us on a plate by other teams I the run for 4th?

Diop was actually half decent today. Slightly concerned that Bowen looked to be nursing an injury at the end.

Hammers looking more and more tired as the season goes on, marked by so many stray passes and half-hearted efforts.

5th spot might just be possible at end of season if the other teams around us also continue to drop achievable points. Otherwise, comfortably 7th or 8th. I'd be happy with that, as long as we get some decent players to strengthen the squad over the summer to push onward for the next season. Rice and Bowen are the obvious possible losses, though that would give a sizeable war chest for the canny Scot.

Wanted to see Fredericks replaced by Johnson at halftime- surprised by Moyes actually doing it. Uncharacteristically poor display by Rice in first half- Moyes will be more reluctant to bring in Kral for him, but with FA cup and Europa games looming, Rice needs a rest; game needs putting to be bed first though.

Another two points gone a-begging. I sympathize with Benrahma's annoyance at being replaced by Vlasic; it should have Antonio, another knackered player who had a poor game, with lots of poor touches.

Post edited by cdgalwegian on

Our slide into mediocrity continues. That was utter gash. Two games in a row where brain farts have led to us conceding right before the break.

• Advertisement

West Ham complained to the ref at HT as Chris Wood was meowing at Zouma throughout the first half 😂

Oof, Sevilla in the last 16 of the Europa League. Probably the worst draw we could've gotten (and I include Barca in that). Though the last time Sevilla were beaten in the Europa League, it was by a team with Soucek, Coufal and Kral in it....

Post edited by Hammer Archer on

A fairly toothless Wolves without Jimenez and Podence. At the other end, Antonio's goal drought continues, whiile the supposedly very talented Oko-Flex sits on the bench. Frustrating.

Beautifully worked goal. Oh to see that kind of football every week.

Zouma brillliant.

At last a return (for this game anyway) of a really good all-round performance (though Johnson needs improvement, especially with his crosses).

Zouma seems to be having the reaction I was hoping he'd have after the "incident". Has barely put a foot wrong since.... Thought Bowen wasn't his usual self today having carried us for over a month.

The whole "World War 3" was a nice little distraction for Zouma alright

• Advertisement

As soon as I saw that Southampton were playing a second string side, I knew we were done for. Did well to get back into it but then promptly shat the bed like in the league game there. I literally have no idea what Oko-Flex needs to do to even get a short run out. Benrahma came on yesterday and basically gave every single ball away.

Referee was abysmal. Soucek gets split open with blood pouring from a head injury, he waves play on. Broja gets a ball in the face late on, and he not only stops the game immediately but also gives a free kick to him.

We will get absolutely battered by Sevilla in the form we're in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Haven't felt a buzz like this for a game since probably the cup final in 06. Proper giddy at the thought of knockout European football this is the stuff of dreams fingers crossed we keep ourselves in the game for next week. I do feel like we have been better performance wise since the wolves game. COYIII ⚒️⚒️💜💙

Yeah looking forward to this, 5.45 kickoff for anyone who's expecting an evening game

Soucek with a trademark header. Thought Antonio had given up the chance initially.

Two "Villa" teams in a row in the Olympic Stadium resorting to hitting the deck at every opportunity. It baffles me how referees constantly fall for it.

What a fcuking team!!! First time since 2019 that Sevilla have lost in that competition (Soucek scored that night too). Not a single player had a bad game. Cue Barca in the draw tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Superb result last night. Great team effort

One minor thing I love is that even though Rice is captain from the start, when Nobes comes on, the armband goes straight to him as club captain with no drama. Just a small thing but shows how everyone's pulling in the same direction.

Lyon in the quarter final. Happy enough with that. Would have been nervous had we gone in as big favourites against the likes of Rangers or Braga.

Win that and we're likely to be facing Barcelona!

Was clear from the start that we were still struggling after the efforts of Thursday. Though there's more evidence as to the utter uselessness of VAR. Cresswell slapped in the face but because he doesn't roll around on the ground like Son does, the deserved red card isn't give.

Nice to see Spurs win their cup final. First time for a while.

Allez les Clarets et Blues!

Benrahma's performance aside, if we'd played as well in the first half as we did in the second with 10 men, we'd almost certainly be taking a lead to France. A win at Lyons does look doable mind.

Well I didn't see that one coming; Man U lose to Everton, and Arsenal lose to Brighton. Sixth spot finish an actual possibility, if the other contenders keep slipping on banana skins. Tough one tomorrow for us away to Brentford.Looks like Lanzini still out after his car crash.

Dawson has to be one of the best signings of the Moyes era. He's a brick wall at times. Loved the tough challenges he was putting in towards the end of the game.

Referee was one of the worst I've ever seen on Thursday. Bizarre that they let a proven corrupt referee return and referee at the highest levels. He made it abundantly clear from early on that he was going to be giving pretty much everything to Lyon. From stopping the game twice for no reason while we were attacking to allowing Lyon to take a foul throw again. Bowen was flattened on the edge of their box and he gave nothing only for him to send Cresswell off 30 seconds later when for minimal contact. Lyon were pretty poor and I'd be relatively confident in us getting past them on Thursday.

Not confident about today. All season when we've been given an opening by other teams around us, we've generally managed to mess it up.

Looks like Bowen and Coufal back in the starting team. The end is sight, and now is not the time to blow it. Obviously, we can't rely on winning the Europa League for a place in Europe next season, so for a slight chance of a sixth spot finish, this is a huge game. Oh, if ever there was a time for it, now is it for Antonio come back with a bang; full thrust with afterburners.

Zouma off injured. That doesn't bode well for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement

Antonio gone in reverse instead of turbo.

Another bloody hangover after a European game. That's what we get for having a threadbare squad. We're looking at the possibility of Diop starting away to Lyon which is a disaster waiting to happen.

Zouma is out for Thursday. We're fcuked.

Let's not be having the negativity not this week please.. the excitement levels are rising now certainly the biggest or massiveist 😊 game in my life time... We have alot more room to improve on last week than they do I feel. Johno can slot in a left back without weakening us and diop can deputise for zouma I'm sure dembele is still having nightmares about virgil van dawson from last week. Moyesie has got us this far I've faith in him to get it right again and that we can pull it off.. we haven't suddenly become a bad side overnight and here's hoping tomorrow night will eclipse our Sevilla night if that's possible. The rational side in me is thinking that win or lose we've had a great run and to look at everything positively I'm sure that will be gone by tomorrow morning

COYIIIII

Not looking promising so far.

Holy fcuk.

Allez les Clarets et Bleus!!!!

3-0. Our favourite scoreline.

• Advertisement

46 years since last in Euro semis. What a proud moment.

What a season. Just an incredible performance. Every time the ball came into the box, it just seemed like Dawson was there. Antonio was phenomenal even though he never got a sniff of goal.

Not sure whether to be disappointed or not that we're not facing Barcelona.

What a **** feeling. The moyesiah has put a good chunk of the fan base to shame again tonight this is the stuff of dreams honestly it's so special.. Exceptional from 1 to 11 and now I'm thinking a trip to Barcelona would have been nice but nobody left in the competition wants to play us.. checking flights to Frankfurt although there's no chance of match tickets with 50000 capacity

Stunning all round.

Superb night, rode our luck for the first half hour but top class from then on.

Winning this would be a turning point in our clubs fortune, you'd like to think we could keep Rice andget in a better quality player for a couple years run at Top 4.

On the other hand, we could be pipped at the post for 6th spot and the Europa cup, leaving us out of Europe altogether; which might just be the tipping point for a Rice exit. It's all hanging in the balance at the moment; potentially nothing, or Champions League. With the Hammers fcuked after last nights performance, there might also be a dead cat bounce for Burnley on Sunday after Sean Dyche getting the heave ho, with Man U breathing down our necks. With such a small squad, all the efforts look like going into the Europa games, which is a big gamble. If Moyes pulls it off though, he will truly be the Moyesiah.

• Advertisement

Ugh I know it's a great problem to have but it'll be a very frustrating end to the season if we don't manage to win the Europa League given that we've basically thrown away our chances at fourth over the last 4-6 weeks. Should have won it yesterday were it not for Pope.

Absolutely horrific injury to Westwood. And as well as him, I really feel for Vlasic. This was his first league start for over a month and he's involved in that and he was obv. Think we probably would have won that were it not for the injury.

Diop potentially out for the rest of the season now. We'll possibly see either Rice or Johnson at centre half. Either that, or give James Collins a shout!

So how do ye think we should manage the lack of a centre half partner for Dawson? Loads of options mentioned. Rice moving into defence is one option but that would likely cripple us in midfield. Johnson moving into the centre is another. Alese making the step up from the U23s isn't a bad shout as he was fairly decent against Zagreb. There's even been mention of Kral coming into defence though he's played feck all this season. Personally, I think Alese would be the best shout if he can be started against Chelsea.

Impossible to know from the outside really isn't it, I haven't a clue how Kral V Alese measures up as a CB but would trust that the management team do.

I agree you don't go robbing the midfield to booster defence. My preference would be to keep a defender there, I presume we're going back-4, in which case someone like Cresswell/Johnson slotting in there, leave Coufal wide, then the other one of Cresswell/Johnson slotting in at LB. We're a tall team anyway so should be fine for height at set pieces

Any chance Winston Reid is still knocking around?

Wouldn't suprise me to see us switch it up to 5 at the back again johno and cress either side of big daws coufal and Pablo as wing backs. Cresswell and Dawson are obviously comfortable in that set up and johno did play rcb against spurs in the cup and has always been better defensively anyway so I think it could work. Could mean lanzini is at risk or we give him a free role off the left keeping Bowen and Micky high up or benrahma would be more suited to it I think

At 13.05 the BBC website literally changed the West Ham line-up before my eyes from a 4-2-3-1 to a 3-4-2-1 system. The inital one is obviously more defensive, but with Rice and Antonio on the bench, switching to the 3-4-2-1 seems odd. It's all very odd, so we'll soon see how it plays out (and if the BBC got it right).

• Advertisement
Advertisement