Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seplos BMS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭irishchris

Keep us updated on how this works out today. Would love to see some pictures or video of your battery setup too. In process of ordering some lifepo4 cells later this month but with having a Solis 6kw inverter I'm a bit apprehensive in terms of the BMS issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I'm in the same boat with the same Solis inverter. Following this closely 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭championc

So what you are looking for is for the inverter to be told your capacity from the Seplos BMS. You may have an option on the Solis to decide things like the DOD, but otherwise, the Solis should become pretty dumb, and receive all it control from / by the Seplos

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Sweet that’s sounding promising. I must check do I have that battery option. Do you have a copy of that Solis firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

• Advertisement

Has anyone noticed battery cycle counter in seplos software. I am not sure how it works or waht it counts as in one day it counted 4 cycles even though there was not even one.

From @garo The cumulative discharge capacity setting should be set to 80% to reflect one cycle at 80% DOD.

Thanks @reklamos if needed I’ll come back to you - how’s it been running?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Yep. It defaults to 20% which means it counts a cycle as soon as 20% of the capacity is discharged.

BTW I have found the Seplos support engineer I am dealing with quite helpful. We are still trying to resolve the issue with my Growatt but he provided me the Growatt CAN protocol documentation and understands the issue pretty well. I suspect it is a new product and they are still ironing things out. Having a BMS support tons of inverters is hard work. They probably overpromised and some of us here are unwitting guinea pigs. But we should get there soon. The engineer in me quite likes the whole process of figuring all of this out.

The setting are confusing on Seplos. Chinglish translation does not help either. Cumulative discharge is at 20% and does not allow me to change it. But today I have not lost a single cycle so not sure what is going on. Is there a document that explains all the settings?

We had a good day today with sun and I was able to track Seplos in operation. Seems like AoBo battery profile is working as expected. Once the battery was getting close to full SOC and coltage breached thresholds Seplos told Solis to throtle down and I could see that the charge limitation was changes to 10A on Solis. Once the voltage dropped the limits were raised back to normal. It is still in testing phase but does look primising.

Post edited by reklamos on

• Advertisement

Did you login before trying to change settings? admin/admin

There is a user manual that explains all the settings. It's on google drive.

I got the manual and am logged in with admin/admin

Still confused why I can some change parameters in software and not the others even though the manuals says they are configurable.

Wanted to do full charge/discharge for BMS to calculate capacity but ran into problem. Charge went ok and it cut of at high voltage but I could not discharge the battery to low voltage point as the BMS did not allow to dicharge below 15% SOC. But there was still juice as all cell were above 3.1 and total at 49.5. Has anyone done full calibration cycle succesfully?

You can change the low voltage protection and the min capacity parameters. Also note that forsome parameters you have to hit enter after entering the button and click download.

Then the value you are entering is not within the acceptable range. Most likely you have conflict either in this value and the alarm recovery value or some other pair of parameters. For example if the capacity alarm recovery number is less than 10 the BMS won't allow you to set the Alarm value to 10.

It was not allowing to me set any value for that alarm, be it lower or higher than 15%.

The solution is to use Set all button. But you need to make sure that the other values are also ok.

Yeah its weird. Some values are settable by the Download button and others aren't.

Seplos BMS appearing in a lot of server rack batteries. In the 220 Ah one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 batmaxpt

hi

great discussion, big fan of Seplos here also :)

for ex. i have 3 used cell 60ah in parallel 14s, what setting should i use for seplos bms measure the real soh ?

• Advertisement

Overstate the SOC and after a few full charges and discharges, it will calculate the capacity

Finally it got calibrated, here's what worked for me:

I've set battery rated capacity and Soc in software to whatever battery rating is and also remaining capacity alarm to 10%(I am not sure if this is needed but with original rating it does not discharge low enough, even with 10% my cell were over 3.1V)

Discharged the battery till it stoped, then charged it at constant rate at 20Amps overnight. Once some cells reached monomer high voltage alarm, the charge rate dropped to 10Amps but it still kep charging. At this point sock was 74% the remaining capacity was also was not close to what was rated . It still kep charging at 10Amps and once it reached the overvoltage alarm the charging stopped, both SOC and Remaining capacity got adjusted, and that was it.

I have been told by Seplos support that you have to set battery rating within 20Ah range of battery capacity otherwise calibration may fail.

If you get errors while trying to download new settingh then use Set all button at the top.

Just dont forger to raise remaining capacity alarm from 10% once calibration finished.

So interesting thing I noticed while testing Seplos in regarding ro discharge SOC.

When discharge SOC on inverter is higher than it is on Seplos, it works as expected. That is when discharge SOC is reached battery stops discharging.

If discharge SOC on inverter is lower than on Seplos, than it does not work as expected. The battery goes into alarm state and drops discharge current but it is still discharging at ~100W. I would assume that it would do that till inverter discharge SOC is reached or battery low voltage is reached.

So basically first option the way it should be configured but this is may not be possible with inverters that do not/cannot communicate with BMS.

As I said previously, if "talking" correctly, the inverter becomes completely dumb and therefore gets it's SOC from the Seplos. Your setup has meant that the inverter is calculating the SOC from the battery voltage it sees.

Maybe it's worth trying to engage with the engineer who @garo is working with, to try and get to a point that the Seplos fully supports the Solis.

Oh no, the inverter is talking correctly and is getting SOC from BMS. It just depend which low point is hit first, on inverters or on BMS.

Oh yeah you need to set the Inverter discharge limit to be higher than the Seplos discharge limit. Otherwise the inverter will keep calling for power and the Seplos will discharge at 250W in my case, 100W in reklamos' case. I have mine set to 16% on the inverter and 15% for alarm and 10% for protection on the Seplos.

Apologies for my misunderstanding @reklamos

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭E30M3

Recklamos you seem to be the trailblazer on the Solis / Seplos journey and well done on the progress you have made.

When you get a final configuration that you are happy with would it be possible to show the inverter and Seplos S/W settings you utilised? I think a few of us are slightly behind you, (I got my batteries over the last two days and currently have the first 8 top balancing).

Goes without saying that this is for info only and is what works for you but may not be optimal for others.

I will keep reporting as I am progressing. There are still many things to learn. Probably the one diference from most is that I will go with 2 separate packs instead of 1 big one. I'll keep you posted.

• Advertisement

Finally got the time to get up and running - had to change the SOC to get it to discharge and a reset but copying reklamos settings for the Solis and it’s discharging away - I’ll have to read through here but I’ll have questions re settings once it does a few cycles. Thanks to all for the help, it sure it nice to see more then 1.2 kW being discharged

Advertisement