Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 No1F

Hi All, I have been lurking away on this thread and the information is brilliant, especially when I look back at some initial quotes I got awhile back I'm so happy I took time for some reading! Can I ask for some recommendations of installers please via pm. I am based in Dublin and have got a good few but I think the more the merrier seems to be the best way to get value and it would be great to get some names.

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Same as this, anyone have recommendations for Clare/Limerick area

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Would be similarly interested in any recommendations. Based in Dublin. Don't have a lot of roof space so limited by number of panels. Ideally would like a battery storage option as well. Have had a few quotes but not getting anywhere near the recommended figures. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Smaller system tend to be harder to meet the "rule of thumb" with respect to quotes. The reason for that is simple enough when you think about it. It costs a fixes amount mostly for 2x guys to drive out to you gaff to install 6 (or 14) panels on the roof. So you are more likely to get a better quote on a larger system than a small one as the fixed costs are the same and your money is going on the equipment.

Have you looked at "solar as a service"? Historically they've been pretty good at the smaller installations in terms of cost - albeit I saw one of the regulars mention that the prices had gone up a little recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

They are still coming in at 1200 per kW so still decent value for an 8 panel system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

Hi, looking for a steer on what I should be looking for.

currently use about 40kWh per day on average. 2 electric cars and an air source heat pump.

Ive no idea really what I should look at. Budget is €15k, don’t qualify for grant.

Think I need a battery for the house, usually during winter the heat pump doesn’t run during the day and only at night when the temp drops.

Maybe a hybrid charger so I can charge cars during the day if they are home.

Thoughts and advice welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mrgg

Some advice would be appreciated here, made my first enquiry about getting solar panels and was informed my house isn't suitable as the roof area is big enough. ( Nobody actually visited my house they made the decision via Google satellite image) Disappointing to hear but wanted to see if anyone thinks it could be possible given the layout of the roof. No point in going any further if others agree it's a non runner. For clarity my mine is to the left of white line

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Yeah I have a quote from them and in fairness they are the only ones coming near the outlined rule of thumb costs. I just found the level of detail in terms of what were getting for your money very poor with no information on panels, inverter etc. I get the economy of scale principle so will see what other quotes can get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

This could be a tricky one indeed. From this picture it look tight for anything substantial.

The majority of companies do the initial quote via Google maps. The hard sell lads come knocking and way over promise.

Can't send DM its blocked. Send me a message but its a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Bellie1

Wondering if should stall the search for a company and wait for the new deep retrofitting scheme grants which, even if they bump up the prices, should work out cheaper? Was quoted 26k by a company a few weeks ago for full retrofit.Even if that goes upto 30k, still get the whole lot done for 15k. Whereas solar panels on their own will cost 7k( based on quotes have gotten to date). Gas boiler needs replacing anyway so may as well get heat pump)

• Advertisement

No battery Grants after the 15th of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

DIY battery Powerwalls so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Anyone looking for a second hand 7.4 kw Garo Wall Charger (EV) - 1 year old ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Get more quotes for the solar, there are reasonable.BTW What did the full retrofit include?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Can't find edit facility but there are more reasonable solar companies out there, the quote of 26k for a full retrofit seems very good,what works did it include?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

There's a for sale section in the EV forum. Also if you're on Facebook the Irish EV Owners Buy & Sell page.

The battery grant is being dropped by the SEAI on the 15th of February. So that's €600 gone. You have a good price for solar now so its your call. You have less than a week.

If I was doing a full retrofit and I could hold off till the dust and material prices settle i would. Its going to be major cowboy time for awhile.

Just my hunch that's all.

The Enniskillen guy has quoted 7900, that's the cheapest from 5 quotes so far.

The house is 2 bed so retrofit quote was for 4kw panels,5kw battery, heat pump , 4 new rads, replace 2 windows and new front door. We had attic insulated and cavity walls pumped years ago. It's not that good really.

• Advertisement

So that will probably be €8500 next week, sadly.

Will they settle though or stay high. I totally get that prices will increase, but currently only my getting 1/3 of cost grant whereas could be 50%. Do you reckon prices will increase so the increased grant will balance out.. Hmm, probably will. Tbh I've a crazy week this week with health appointments and my partner is trying to set up a new business so won't be signing up to any quote by time battery grant is gone.Dont want to rush into anything to save 600 on the battery.

They didn't give much notice did they Or was this flagged and I missed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭rathbaner

Can anyone recommend a source for quotes for a 5-6kw system and installation in the Connacht area?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

AFAIK you can get grant approved before the 15th which gives you 8 months leeway before the grant install timeframe runs out to get the system installed so you don't loose out on the €600 reduction. The grant takes minutes to apply for so would be worth it for some to just get approval now and put a hold on the install for a month or so. Stand ready to be corrected though!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

Does the new retrofit grant scheme cover / include installing PV?

Announced today. Another smoke and mirrors stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

That's my understand also (and my hope). Though you have to specify your chosen installer on your grant application. If you change the installer you will have to cancel the approved application and reapply (cannot have two concurrent applications).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Beach.

Hi, got this quote....from my reading of posts here it seems High. As the Feb 15 th deadline is Tues I'd really appreciate if anyone could recommend a company who's fair on price. I'm in the Cork area...please PM if possible. Thanks.

3.7kw 10 panels 370 Watt all black (Peimar)

Huawei 4kw hybrid inverter 

Huawei 5kw battery storage 

Wi-Fi mudulsolar inverter 

Fireman's switch 

Roof mounting kit 

Scaffolding 

Total cost of investment €13750

Grant available €2700

Price includes VAT, survey and installation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Beach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement