Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Usual green fees are €90 out in Portmarnock Links. I'll just be happy to get out at a decent price. Amazing how the green fees have soared out there in the last 3/4 years or so

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

They’ve gone up everywhere unfortunately, made booking events this year a bit tougher.

I'd imagine so. I remember 10 years ago where you could get out in the Links midweek at particular times for €25. Really miss those days.

Also knowing how much prices have gone up makes me even more appreciative of all the work gone on in the background to get the society set up this year

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The last two years have been a shocker - boom in golf , reduced space for victors.

Look - I loved them years too , and things have got a bit too expensive - but if we all put our hand on our hearts , we were getting rounds for daft prices - below cost in reality.

All I can say, from the committee, is, that every effort has gone into keeping prices down (in the current market). The rewards of this will be felt over the course of the year. Again - all money goes back into the society and we hope to put together some good prizes as has been the case over the years I've been going.

Guys - Can I just thank everyone again, for engaging so actively in the new process.

We will obviously review how things go over the next few weeks - and make changes that are necessary. The concpet around the time sheet could be out the window by Monty - so please be patient as we see how the outing goes.

Again - thanks to everyone - was fearful I would be out last , on my own, taking on myself and the rest of the world on an empty course.

(In fact, not an unfamiliar space 😄)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Just to add re the prizes

we have been very lucky over the years to get an odd sponsor here and there to donate prizes

hope to have one or 2 on board again this year

if anyone is in a position to sponsor and event/ prize it would be very warmly appreciated

drop a pm to myself if fix if you can

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

I made that mistake on my first visit to Portmarnock Links lol.. but then again I'm a southsider :D but all the years I have played it in the society. I still double check I have the right one when entering it into google maps for travelling over to the dark side... lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doublecross

Is there a course in the country that you haven’t got lost on the way to 🤔

🤣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The January drought is over, so hopefully can get signed up to this next week. Can't be missing Portmarnock!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

Signed up for this year. It's been a few years since I played in the society, looking forward to it.

welcome back SEORG

OK guys - just when the forum is overloaded with Boards Golf Society stuff - I wanted to post about Carton House and Monty . This outing is not at the same week as normal outings - this is because of Paddy's day. So it will be a quick enough turn around to the next outing on 12th / March.

I picked Carton House Montgomerie , because I wanted to pick courses that are dry early in the year - the one concern I had about here is , it is too tough, too long and perhaps not suitable for a society.

So - having the day off today , I said I'd have a reconnaissance mission out there. It was all rather spontaneous (I can be like that).

I told the Pro, why I was playing - and they gave me a great rate - and there was no need to. They were very sound in the place. The one thing that you notice straight away , is the place is in stunning condition - the grounds, the pro shop. It has a real 5 star feel.

The only course in play for men is the green course and this will be the case on the 12th March. I'll be honest, you would be mad to play any further back in March anyway. (stone mad). The trip alone was worth working this out.

On the first tee the place seems very open - The wind was in my face and I hit an ok drive, but landed in a fairway bunker (thanks Monty!) - when you get to the bunker you go - welcome to Monty , you are basically just progressing / getting out and you are chasing a bogey - a quick 3 putt with a new putter - a Double , great start.

I was looking out for general course condition. The first thing I noticed was a poor effort by some golfers to replace divots - can be a thing on resort courses, but was disappointing to see. I didn't notice any divot bags on entry , but some lazy golfers around. As it turns out, the first and 2nd were a bit out of place - and the divots were few and far between the rest of the way. How dry the fairways were was extraordinary - and I was delight to feel that solid ground under my feet. Why we are going.

The bunkers (wow) - I actually haven't seen bunkers like it in Ireland - at times an 8 or 9 foot rise. I noticed there wasn't massive amounts of sand in the bunkers - but the more you get around, the more you realize, it actually would make the bunkers even harder to get out, if there was deep layers of sand. I'd still rather see a bit more sand.

By the 3rd - a tough uphill par 3 you feel, this course is going to kill you. But then you turn and the fun starts. It is a fantastic run of holes that provides a very different challenge. Avoid bunkers or die. The green complexes are stunning - and just like nothing else you see in Ireland. The green conditions are some of the best I have seen at this time of year.

To highlight how good the greens were - As I hit the 10th, I looked back towards Carton house and in the distance they were watering the greens - amazing. Not sure I ever seen that before at this time of year.

You eventually turn back for home at the corner after a very interesting drivable par 4 (13) . Whilst you are into the wind, from the greens the holes are now more managable and you have a feel for the place. The finish is stunning with 17 and 18 almost the best holes on the course.

I left after playing good golf (with a bad short game) - and was 9 over for the round - and that was good to great golf to get that.

In relation to our outing.

1) I'm delight we are going. There is nothing like it on the list of courses.

2) The bunkers are seriously hard and need lots of loft , and a quick action. You need to rise the ball quickly - no hero shots

3) It is a long long walk - have decent fitness if you can - good few walks coming into it (your talking 10km)

4) Pulling a rental trolley here would be mad - push or electric - even borrow an electric (I might after today)

5) Wind a big factor - don't be short or in bunkers.

Anyway - more for info and to warn of outing coming up - we will stick to Portmarnock Links for now.

Typical green complex - Par 3 7th , Don't be short. (Tee box been forked / seeded / sanded)

The 17th - what a golf hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭a post punk

Great Update Fix, Thanks for the pre round run down. Any chance a few could join you on the next reconnaissance mission 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

I concur with everything you said there, played there at xmas time and it could have been like playing summer (ground conditions) in any other club.Fantastic choice of course for this time of year

Good to see you back Golfhead ...we need characters in the society ...

I'm beginning to enjoy this too much ....I'll keep you in mind ...once you can go golfing with 1 hours notice..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Slot available for 10.50 in portmarnock people. The work gang are after organising a hen party for me so havnt time to golf before hand. Sorry, hopefully see ye later in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

FFS, you better be booking your honeymoon at carton house or nenagh or something 😣

• Advertisement

I’m more disappointed that we haven’t got the nod to go on the hen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

Did you not get the pm?

......well this is awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Ye’d all be fabulous hens. I’m sure Benny could sort ye out for the wedding 😂

Oh, we’ll be at the wedding alright 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yeah, I already sent you the invoice for my appearance fee @OffalyMedic

You'll need someone to get the crowd on the dance floor 🕺

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

Could you imagine her face if we all happen to be playing golf there that day.

FFS Break80 dont give the game away! lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

Sorry slipped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Apologies folks.

Another slot available on the sheet for Saturday,this one at 11.50.

Circumstances etc.

Advertisement