Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

The likely issue is getting Finance to sign off on even the extra 500 million for option 2, and the accelerated capital program. Though even if option 3 is selected the report suggests 2040 before the fighters could be generated, from my quick read. Option 2 for both the Navy and AC/AF looks like the best short/medium term option.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Brilliant news in the report on our defence service .Just what the citizens have been crying out for. Everyone happy to park those pesky things like health service, housing, transport and the cost of living while we hurl bundles of cash at the wannabe top guns and wannabe marine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭roadmaster

You mean those areas that have had multiples of funding year on year and could consume the entire suggested budget without making a blind bit of difference? Jog on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

What a stupid and uninformed comment to make, you do realise that Defence has one of the smallest budgets of government departments don't you?

Defence had been neglected for decades and it needs to be corrected, the proposed defence budget from the report will still result in a budget a fraction of that provided to the departments you mentioned.

The funds have been available for the last 30 years but because of attitudes like yours it's been spent on anything but defence.

Edit : I know, I know, don't feed them.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

What needs to be done that will take 5 months? The report has laid everything out on a plate, in black and white, this is what to do now, this is what to do next. We are already in a situation that any decision hanging over the DF was held up pending this report. Sitting on our hands is the opposite of what was recommended.

Indeed there is nothing at all stopping the minister today allowing the DF representative bodies having ICTU recognition, as has already been recommended by others.

the "after hours" forum is not this direction. Back to the rock from under where you came from. Adults are talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Interesting type of " adult " who wants to play with guns and jet planes .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The Air Corps has tested dozens of potential aircraft in it's time and yet, it has been continuously denied them by the DoD/DoF. The Alpha Jet is a case in point; our pilots constantly urged that they bought and the French were more than willing to sell them to us, at a reasonable price, as we had a strong relationship with them. A fine aircraft, with twin engine safety, excellent performance and firepower....and we ended up with Fougas. Obsolete before they even landed here. Same with transport aircraft, same with medium lift helicopters. Rinse and repeat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

They are tools of our trade. If you don't like having a military, vote in politicians to abolish it.

[Moderator]More to the point, if you can't be civil, you will be gone. This is your warning.[/Moderator]

• Advertisement

Getting Finance to sign off on the budget increases and the manpower retention policies I would be, remember pay was outside the direct mandate of the Report but really needs to be dealt with first to both end the losses and to start trying to build up to the numbers from where we are now.

Pay may have been outside its remit, but it didn't stop them giving a good summary of where its wrong. MSA for example, if everyone is getting it, why isn't it part of wages, why is it an "allowance"? Other flaws in the pay system were also flagged. Its for others to decide whether to increase core pay or not.

We ended up getting the aircraft the Alpha Jet replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

That's true. None of this good stuff will ever happen unless they can make this vocation into an attractive career. I like the idea of establishing an apprentice college (which the Brits used to do)....to be able to offer candidates an opportunity to pick up a marketable skill when they exit the force....apart from soldiering skills which don't translate into a post service door opener. I'm generally quite delighted that the report has come up with such an abundance or good ideas to kick the services into the 21st century.....in fact I'm working up some good suggestions as to the future shape of all three services starting with the 12 SHIP NAVY, ( which will probably get shot down in flames anyway)....update to follow on another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Better to get 12 fighters of quality I guess then cheaper versions.

As for ships it's going interesting to see what dod will agree to purchase/if

Anything of the 4.5 gen fighters would be able to meet our needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

If we need fighters, our needs are European needs. 4.5 generation fighters that cannot be usefully integrated with their aircraft will not be up to much.

Waving at stricken airliners or Russian bombers in peacetime does not strike me as a valuable use of resources, which will always be in limited supply even if tripled, as is now proposed.

It's F35 or whatever else is adopted in Europe or nothing, in my view.

The 4.5 gen fighters will still be in service for the next 25+ years even in top tier forces, hell the USAF has just started bringing new 4.5 gen F15's into service this year, both Germany and Spain are buying Tranche 4+ Typhoons that will be in service for 25+ years, France is still upgrading the Rafale. The next gen European fighter won't be entering service till 2040+. Even assuming the most aggressive Irish FP imaginable any fighters would be used in the common usage right now (ie either patrols or bombing things that can't threaten them).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Cathal Berry on RTE saying that the basics would be addressed if the Defence budget was increased to Eu 1.5 Bn. Given that the majority of the existing budget is spent on wages and allowances, how much more would be consumed from the extra Eu 400 m he's talking about? It won't go very far if you take a chunk out for wages. The public think that the entire DF budget is spent on guns and ships; it isn't. As for MSA, it is deliberately defined an an allowance to stop it being rolled into basic pay and forcing pensions up.

Forget an extra 400m, if RTE's Mícheál Lehane is right, who thinks it might end up with €100m extra annually, so Option 1.

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2022/0209/1278809-defence-report-analysis/

• Advertisement

Thing is, Option 1 gets us back to where we are now, and is considered a non runner by the commission.

Oh I agree, but that might not mean the politicians listen to the Commission, I mean Coveney said that Option 2 was a "huge ask", €400m, a huge ask??

Remind me, how much over budget is the childrens hospital again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Notmything

It's a huge ask because for every extra million spent on defence you will get cries of "we can build X houses", "hire X nurses/teachers etc".

The problem will be those voices drowning out those advocating for the increase. Just look at Twitter and the number of idiots who think we just need neutrality to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If it's €100mn increase then we will continue sponging off the neighbours essentially.

Question is are those neighbours going to start asking questions themselves as they burn money scrambling jets over the airspace of a country that can't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Newoven

If we had jets to scramble, and a radar system to inform them it’s time to scramble, and pilots and ground crews sufficiently skilled to operate them, what would they scramble to do? Unlikely they’d shoot at any other country’s planes so what’s the practical benefit in having them?

For me the first question is not what else might be more deserving of the expenditure, it’s is there a practical benefit from spending it on better planes or more soldiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

to be fair, you will not add €400 m extra in one year, incremental steps of €100m per annum, that’s €200m in year 2, €300m in year 3 and so on. The capacity to absorb the additional expenditure needs to be ramped up. Level 2 is a credible and achievable medium term target. Reality is stage 3 will be a push, the usual suspects will balk at jet aircraft etc. To be fair to Coveney he seems to be genuinely committed to increased investment, backing of cabinet is key

3025 post before now and we never thought of that.. JEES!

Google: Air Policing. Come back when you understand what that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

yes its called being in the army.

it's time as a nation to grow up and start spending real money on our defense force so they can be much much more effective.

plenty of money for the other issues, it's management that is the reason why they aren't being sorted effectively.

nobody, nato/britain/america are going to bother helping a country who can't be bothered to even make an effort to insure they have some sort of defense capabilities should we ever need it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement