Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guidance for PC Building

Options
  • 06-02-2022 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Current Dell processor does not meet Windows 11 requirements, so I will need to upgrade at some stage. I'm not in a hurry, but want to start thinking about it.

I'd love to build my own PC this time. I only use it for home/office, but I want to future proof it as much as possible.

What I would require are as follows:-

1. Fast - speedy OS load times and general speedy response e.g. loading programs (advice on how many storage devices and what types)
    2. Don't game, so APU preferred, but might consider basic gaming in the future (on my APU)
    3. Not interested in cooling other than the normal requirements
    4. Definitely no LED
    5. A closed case. Not interested in seeing the insides.
    6. Mini-Tower
    7. High level of connectivity, across all types (and futureproofed as much as possible)
    8. Must have wi-fi and bluetooth
    9. Fast data transfer (Libraries only to external hard drive)
    10. Fast internet connection

Any ideas where to start?

Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

1. Any SSD is generally fast enough for daily operation. NVMe (the fastest) is now the same price as SATA (the slowest) so there's no longer a point in not going for it.
    2. Ryzen APUs are better than Intel for any gaming-type tasks. Do note that Ryzen 7000-series desktop chips are due in Q3/Q4 2022.
    3. Never hurts to have good cooling; you can run fans slower. I recommend Arctic or be quiet fans if you don't fancy spending a ton, though many bundled case fans are good enough too.
    4. But RGB makes your build 30% faster! 😋
    5. Fair.
    6. Hard. Many cases without window panels don't have USB-C. I found one though.
    7. Generally you want to spend a bit extra on motherboard here.
    8. OK
    9. You mean USB-C 3.2 or Gigabit LAN?
    10. That's on your router 😉

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/DTckLs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor (€270.54 @ Computeruniverse)

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 7 X CO CPU Cooler (€17.46 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€89.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix MAX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4400 CL19 Memory (€100.41 @ Computeruniverse)

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€87.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 400 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€58.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Case Fan: ARCTIC F9 Rev. 2 43 CFM 92 mm Fan (€7.04 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Custom: Inter-Tech IT-6865 schwarz (€45.41 @ Computeruniverse)

Total: €676.75

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-02-06 17:20 CET+0100

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭pinkfloydian

Thanks  K.O.Kiki

That's a very comprehensive reply and very much appreciated.

Can I ask some further questions for clarity.

1. (1) - For fastest possible response time, is it better to have OS on a particular type of storage and programs on another and data on another. If so, can you give your best advice, including connectivity.
    2. (3) - I should have said water cooling. I don't want.
    3. (4) - 😂
    4. (9) - USB
    5. (10) - I should have said fastest ethernet port (and future proofed)

Regards,

Tommy

Hi K.O.Kiki

That list has a Compatibility error attached as follows:-

Warning!Some AMD B550 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Cezanne CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

I have no idea what it means or even how to resolve it.

Tommy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The CPU in question came out after the motherboard, with the result that the BIOS on the board couldn't originally recognise the newer CPU. Those being sold now usually have updated BIOS's already, and if not, there's various ways to update the BIOS despite this.

Thanks Spear.

Would it be worth selecting a later motherboard that would resolve the issue. If so, any recommendations (given the above requirements)

Tommy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The 5xx series of chipsets are the most recent AM4 boards. This isn't realistically an issue, unless you happen to be sent a board that was among the first manufactured nearly 2 years ago, which is very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

MSI B550 boards all have FlashBIOS anyway.

All you need to do is insert a USB key with the latest BIOS and it will update it.

Advertisement