Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Naturalisation Service are a catatonic

• 04-02-2022 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Afaik it is a really straighforward application that should be waved through, I got acknowledgement of receipt of my documentation 18 months ago but nothing since then.

But there's no phone line to enquire, an email is met with an automated response "we're really busy, if you sent any more emails we'll be even more busy".

Is there any other options left other than going to a TD to make representations for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭victor8600

It's part of the process. There is a sort of charm to be found in the long wait, the intrigue. Will the Minister deem your application worthy or will it be thrown out due to some misdemeanor found in your past? Was your file lost? Will you get the letter tomorrow? Nobody knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There's been this little global pandemic, and you submitted your application in the middle of it. Naturalisation applications don't just involve Irish officials, they involve officials and police forces in your native country and any other country you've lived in so delays can come from many places.

Brexit has led to a massive increase in the number of applications too so there's a lot of factors.

Wait, or go to a TD. Chances are the response the TD gets will be "wait" too, they won't give a timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

I am aware of external exigencies. I submitted my application post Brexit but pre Covid.

Come on, it's basic disneyland queuing theory - give some feedback that application hasn't been lost down the back of a sofa. A simple "you will receive a response in x days", even if that is just to say it's in the queue.

But they have an actively hostile attitude, the subtext is "enquire any more and you'll be sorry".

Yep, I guess it's time to get off my high horse and make representations via a party political. Actually, maybe that is the test - unless you know to do this you aren't sufficiently naturalised.

Not being affiliated with any of my local representative, who should I choose? the incumbent because they have more leverage, or the electoral hopeful because they are more motivated?

It needs to be a sitting TD, a candidate has no more rights to contact them than an ordinary citizen.

Re correspondence, I'd rather they spent the time processing applications than replying to emails.

I was involved in a case two years ago where the application was delayed by years because of backlogs in the police service in the applicant's home country. You may be blaming the wrong people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Tow

I have often wonder how much checking applications actually get. I have been a reference for well over a dozen applications and have never once been contacted to confirm my/any details etc.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭ThreeGreens

Do they really expect people to wait more than 18 months without any contact, not to get concerned that their application is lost?

How much trouble would it be to automate a reply, say every 6 months, to let the applicant know that their application is still being processed and an estimated time when they will hear something back?

It would probably save a lot of worry for the applicant and a lot of wasted time for the service dealing with queries from people getting concerned that their application is lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

The sitting TD will also only receive a “wait and be patient” response.

They have absolutely no influence in how any government department process applications for citizenship, visas social welfare etc.

I know, it's what I said above. They cannot get the application accelerated. But they can sometimes get the reason for the delay as in my post you quoted where the delay was the applicant's home country police service.

fwiw I got (without parliamentary representation) a postal reply that various more recent documentation was required.

Joseph K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Naturalisation applications don’t involve any interaction between Irish officials and officials abroad. Any evidence required from abroad has to be sourced by the applicant before they make the application. I have been assisting people in making applications for Irish citizenship for 17 years and it is by far the most inefficient contrary inconsistent illogical department to deal with by a very long chalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Are you saying those same documents are not verified and checked through inter government contact?

I was involved with a situation which involved submitting official documentation from another country. That documentation once recieved here had to be verified and confirmed by officials contacting their foreign counterparts. Only then were things signed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭hello2020

so more documents required after 18 months of process !

I can only assume that you were not dealing with the Citizenship section because once documentary evidence is proffered it will be simply returned to the applicant if it’s not considered sufficient and the application suspended until the applicant can supply what is needed.

Often the applicant is given only 28 days to rectify the situation.

If you were under the illusion that Citizenship staff double check these things then you are wrong.

Syrian refugees brought here from refugeee camps in Jordan and The Lebanon by the UNHCR were interviewed and selected out there by the Dept of Justice. The vast majority didn’t have Syrian passports so they were given Travel Documents by the Dept of Justice in order to be able to travel here. A Travel Document has an expiry date of 2 years hence.

When you get here you get a GNIB card (means you are living here legally) with an expiry of 1 year. In order to renew your GNIB card you must have a valid Passport/Travel Document.

So, in order for you to renew your GNIB card for the 3rd year you need to have renewed your Travel Document.

When the Syrians apply to the Dept of Justice for the Travel Document to be renewed the application is returned to them refused with a request that they send their Syrian Passport.

Thats the Syrian passports that they knew they didn’t have when they invited them to come to Ireland and awarded them Travel Documents to make that possible.

Does that make sense to you?

I can assure you that individual documentation is indeed checked if and where that is necessary. Obviously requirements for individual applications vary as does the need to provide bone fide information.

www.thejournal.ie/nigerian-family-deported-after-long-running-legal-appeal-181103-Jul2011/%3famp=1

I also assisted people with naturalisation applications for many years and I will tell you you are very wrong. Police clearance needs to be verified for starters.

This is not a citizenship application. It’s a refugee status application. Not the same thing or even close.

Police clearance is only occasionally requested and if you can demonstrate that you can’t get police clearance then that is accepted. Occasionally Syrians who were in refugee camps in Jordan are asked for Police Clearance from there. But Jordan only provides Police Clearance for Jordanians. Citizenship section have had this pointed out many times. But that doesn’t stop them from continuing to request it, occasionally. The same as they keep requesting Syrian passports from applicants who they already know don’t have one, and couldn’t get one.

I never said it was or wasn't. I stated there were varying requirements and checks depending on the documentation required

Neither did the OP did refer to any refugee status Application. Only you did. The thread concerns Naturalisation.

You may be eligible to apply for Irish citizenship by naturalisation if you are living in the State or if you are living on the island of Ireland and married to an Irish citizen. You may also be eligible to apply for Irish citizenship if you are of Irish descent or have Irish associations* or have been resident abroad in the Irish public service or have been declared to be a refugee or stateless as defined by law.

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/how-to-become-a-citizen/become-an-irish-citizen-by-naturalisation/

Mecanudo applying for naturalisation IS applying for citizenship. You posted an article from the Journal about a Nigerian family being refused residency. Being refused residency has nothing to do with applying for naturalisation/citizenship.

The case that stands out in my mind had nothing to do with refugee status. It was an established businessman from another continent. Police clearance check backlog in his home country was years long.

• Advertisement

Look I'm not arguing with you. But you are tying yourself in knots. Regardless of application, official documents do get checked where required. Youre kidding yourself if you think otherwise. The link detailed that documents are indeed checked (in that case for refugee status)

For some odd reason you went on a spiel about citizenship and Syrian refugees. Not everyone is a 'Syrian refugee' nor does the OPs comment relate to that particular scenario. My comment stands. If you chose to believe otherwise that's up to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Tow

You may be saying, but they are not checking References. Never one have I been contacted, from well over a dozen applications. I asked another person who has done over 50 and he has never been contacted.

I have been a reference for people applying to work for a security company. The company have sent basic once page tick box questioners and an envelope to post my reply to.

Is it too much for the State to do the same?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭xeresod

Had you made even the most cursory check online, you would have seen that an application takes around 23 months for processing...

Become an Irish citizen by naturalisation - Immigration Service Delivery (irishimmigration.ie)

Holey moley! Thats' new btw- I was told 12 month at time of application.

Advertisement