Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Another Beaut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Probably a better third goal.

Coutinho setup Ramsey again, excellent finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Ah Villa, making it difficult.

How does Mings lose out on a header with Dan James to concede a second?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Mings is easily the weakest player in this team now. The leeds fans are totally correct with the song they are singing about him. he is the first player Stevie G needs to replace in the summer. He is costing us a least 1 goal every other game.

Couthino and Ramsey have been immense.

This game is far from over the way we have been at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

3 brilliant goals. Disappointing to give the one away at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Leeds are killing us in the wide areas. Overloading our full backs every time.

We will need another goal or two cos we're all over the place at the back.

It could be 4-4.

We've scored some savage goals though...we need our full backs and centre backs to hold their positions. We won't need too much width to score against Leeds...we'll score on the transition into Coutinho and Beundia as we have done 2 times.

Buendia off injured, that's becoming a thing.

Chukwuemeka on for half hour.

Bollox

Mings at fault again, shocking from him again.

Throwing away this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

He's a liability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Coutinho has been immense. Ramsey links up well with him. Mings is having a typical day at the office. Can’t see him being first choice CB next season.

McGinn, Luiz missing again.

Watkins zero impact.

Cash and Digne not getting forward at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭chases0102

Luiz non existent, no influence. Seems another Leeds goal inevitable.

You can nearly feel the frustration of Watkins, you’d love for him to grab the winner!

That we have only had 39% possession in a home game says a lot about McGinn and Luiz influence

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Braindead from Konsa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We’ve been terrible. Coutinho and Ramsey papering over huge cracks.

• Advertisement

Shocking 2nd half performance, we only seem to turn up for one half under Gerrard.

The spine of the team needs upgrading, Mings, Luiz, McGinn, Watkins not good enough to get us to the next level. Maybe Luiz and McGinn could improve if played higher up the pitch.

Mings and Watkins just lack quality.

We desperately need a DM. The system doesn’t work without one. We’ve been dreadful since Marv got injured. Would love to see Iroegbunam get some minutes. Carney and Ramsey look like they belong.

Carney is slow, no pace at all.

This made me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes was really disappointing but probably lucky to not lose in the end, Ramsey and Coutinho were decent but too many others were anonymous in the 2nd half, I’m not sure what Ollie offers and despite the hype I’ve not seen Chuck do anything to merit his reputation.

Anyhow let’s hope SG can see the issues and sort them out ready for next season.

• Advertisement

Don't be saying that about Ollie, some lads in here will jump on your back when they read that, the same lads keeping the faith that Davis will still come good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I know Ollie divides opinion but we all have and are entitled to our opinion. My view is that if you want a centre forward to run the channels and create space for others then maybe Ollie is fine, others will argue that he is good at holding play up but I’m not convinced. if however you want a centre forward to score goals then the truth is that Ollie isn’t doing it ATM. He’s shown he can do it and I appreciate he’s been injured but he hasn’t been on form all season.

Post edited by pavb2 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I’m probably one is the people you’re referring to here but not sure what the point of the snarky comment was - Watkins poor tonight and has been for the last few games. He’s still a good player but might not fit this way of playing, defo some concerns.

Davis currently tearing it up in the championship by the way. No one has ever said he’s a superstar but the criticism he’s faced is unwarranted. Probably not the player to take us to the next level but he’ll be an effective backup or will earn us a few quid in a transfer fee for a promoted side.

Thought Watkins made a great run for the 3rd goal. Ran across Coutinho, bringing a load of defenders out of position and leaving acres of space fro Ramsey to run into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Well that was disappointing last night. Mings and Konsa looked like they’d spent the afternoon in the pub.

Coutinho was on a different level though. I saw someone say that we’ve loaned a cheat code, and his connection with Ramsey was great. That’s 4 goals that they’ve assisted for each other already in just three games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Aye it was definitely him that conceded the goals.

Its actually bizarre that people seem to think our problems are up front.

Bizaaaarre.

How about we look at how goals are being leaked! Rather than squibbling about whatever shape the attacking 3 look like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I didn’t think Ollie had his best game last night, and has definitely dipped a bit this season, but still think the criticism of him is harsh.

Hes still in our best 3 players IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

It's very good analysis imo and def on point but again I feel it could be boiled down to ... we need a top DM.

There were so many links to Bissouma (if he was cheaper had no court issues it might have been done, in the summer that may change and he will only have 12 months left but if thats the case they will need to move fast imo) and then the move for Bentacur (the cheaper option so they went for it but Patrici got in before us and then we didn't have a chance) shows that one would assume it will be addressed but obviously now not until the summer.

I also think Mings in particular would benefit a lot more from a bit more protection. He can be a great defender / leader at the back but when he is stretched and overloaded he makes mistakes.

Such a pity that Nakamba got injured when he did. One of Smith's big failings imo was not giving him more of a chance as he was an actual DM unlike our other CMs. He will still be out for a few more months now.

We didn't sign a DM but we might have a LANS on our hand - Leon Bailey may be back as early as Newcastle apparently! I'd not expect him till the following game but still it's be nice if he could finally make an impact and prove the club right in loaning out El Ghazi and Trez. Could be a great option off the bench at least initially

Traore injured with hamstring injury, disaster of a season for him.

Given that Buendia looks unlikely to make it, I’d consider moving Ramsey to 10 and bringing in Sanson. It will probably be Chukwuemeka though.

Let's hope the talk about Trippier being out for this one is on the money, he's had a huge impact on them and with Targett also unable to play for them it could be an ideal time to go up against them despite them having their tails up atm.

The app I often check for potential lineups has Chuck and Coutinho behind Ollie and Newcastle's FBs being Manquillo and Burn (usually a CB).

Trippier is starting, for Villa Chambers in for Konsa only change.

Was worried he'd make it as I think him being out might have been a big psychological blow for them. And yeah that app I was checking at least had chambers and has now updated itself with him in their lineup although unexpectedly it also now has Beundia in instead of Chuck. Hopefully Chambers has a point to prove with Konsa absent.

1 down. Had a feeling about this game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Pitiful stuff from villa so far

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's like Newcastle have an extra man.

We seem to play in halves under Gerrard. This is very worrying. Why does it take going a goal down before we might decide whether to turn up in the second half.

We are still capable of winning the game.

Yep, seems to be the same every game. Shouldn’t need to give them a rocket at half time every week.

We’re beginning to resemble the last few games of Smiths reign again. That mixup between Martinez and Mings was almost comical. Maybe we need to circulate another note?

It really looks like our midfield is totally misfiring again. Nobody to come and take the ball off the defence resulting in hoof ball and Shelvey and Joelinton are bossing the physical exchanges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Looked fully on Martinez to me. Mings the only one of the back 4 who hasn’t looked like a lower league player today IMO.

**** sake. If it takes 2 minutes to see it he’s a cm offside just give it ffs

Much better this half but this lot seem jammy

• Advertisement

Disagree with the latter part. Villa were awful, can’t remember a single chance created. Lots of **** crosses from Digne and Luiz, Watkins and Ramsey not in the game at all

Advertisement