Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I could have sworn McConnell had flipped on the insurrection several times at this stage.

Post edited by kowloon on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

After what Pence said as well, maybe the tide is turning. And mental Marge saying that civil war within the party is necessary. It's going to be an amusing watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’s the one bloody thing he’s been fairly consistent on. His speech on the senate floor after the objection to Arizona was fairly direct and called what the others in his party were up to out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well I doubt it’s anything new. I think they are finally realising that the big lie over the election is starting to backfire(shouldn’t have taken 13 months but however) to figure this out. You can’t keep casting doubt on an election and the voting system and be shocked when the base you keep telling it to, decide to not turn out to vote for you. It happened in Georgia last year when the GOP turn out was down because for two months they’d been told the voting system was rigged.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,641 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Maybe not new, but the timing directly after Pence, is notable.

Apart from that speech he has been relatively quiet about it, not saying much one way or another.

Until now. So why? Why say anything and why now? He isn't doing it for the love of democracy or whether its right or not. His track record would suggest he is more focused on what is most advantageous to his agenda that actual rules.

So why come down so hard against Trump, when all indicators are that such a move is a losing strategy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Cody montana

“In the past week:

- Mitch did a 180 on Trump

- Pence did a 180 on Trump

- Graham did a 180 on Trump

- Troy Nehls posted Capitol Police propaganda on his Twitter page 10 hours ago.

- McCarthy was seen fleeing from journalists

Something is off.”

Something big is definitely coming and it doesn’t involve ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Careful.

While they may give the impression that they are stepping back from the QANON/white-hood red hat brigade they are still pursuing an agenda of trying to rig the next elections with their voting restriction acts. They still actually did censure Cheney et al. They still believe that people storming Capitol building was "Legitimate Discourse". They still vilify anyone who even hints at the idea that trump is not the very model of everything the GOP stands for.

Trump and his ideals are the gold standard of the GOP party. This is POLICY! EVERYTHING he stands for is GOP policy. This has not changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

he is a 79 year old senator who is not due for re-election until 2026. not sure what he has to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Advertisement

Not to us. God no.

I meant the people who revelled in his ruthless advancement of the GOP agenda.

What does he have to lose? We are told repeatedly that Trump controls millions of potential GOP voters, that their support is vital and that rocking the boat will do damage to both the person and the GOP.

So why would he do it, and do it now?

The easiest thing, the thing he has done for almost a year, is to say nothing. But he chooses now, along with the likes of Pence to make this statement?

They may in fact be taking the view that there is nothing to lose. That Trump does not hold the sway he once did, that his hold over the GOP voters is declining and that it is time to start to shift away from a candidate that will find it increasingly difficult to win the next election.

even if trump does hold some sway with GOP voters in 2026 (and I find that unlikely) it will have little or no effect on McConnell's re-election chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm afraid you are thinking too much in the vein of Trump on this one. It has nothing to do with McConnells reelection chances. He, if he decides to run, is a 100% shoe in. That is not what he is doing. This isn't some play based on his own reelection. Not only is he pretty much guaranteed, but its 4 years away so not even on the outside of an agenda.

So, he has nothing to lose but what is he trying to gain? For the easiest option is to say nothing. Something that most of them have been doing for months. This is a noticeable, and targeted, statement for McConnell.

you said it was a losing strategy. In order to be a losing strategy there has to be something to lose. what is it?

Sorry, I meant that indicators that are presented to us, such as Trump satisfaction rating and followers, would assume that such a statement would be a losing strategy. And that is certainly how the GOP have acted over the last year.

So what has changed? Either McConnell has been overcome with a sense of duty and to hell with the negative consequences, or - and this is by far the most likely - something has actually changed. Be that polling numbers, funding returns showing Trump is not generating the expected cash, pushback from Corporate donors, pushback from international partners etc etc.

I certainly don't believe McConnell simply said what he was thinking at the time without any clear objective, particularly given Pence and others statements recently.

So, he has nothing to lose but what is he trying to gain? For the easiest option is to say nothing. Something that most of them have been doing for months. This is a noticeable, and targeted, statement for McConnell.

Don't run in 4 years. Book deal.

Lets' assume that there is a smoking gun that's about to be revealed. Something that will not only scupper Trump's re-election chances but is actually an absolute nail in the coffin. Some final PROOF that he was behind the insurrection (Doubtful but let's assume). Something that will leave the GOP CO CHOICE but to abandon him.

They have gotten into bed with him. Have actively courted, endorsed and wholeheartedly embraced everything Trump. From his trust of Putin over his own intelligence communities to his abandonment of moderate Republicans. To his embracing of more.... um..... fringe elements.

So, assuming there is a smoking gun, they will reluctantly distance themselves. He can come out as the voice of reason (BS of course. The GOP has more flip-flops than a beach in Ibiza) dragging them back to TRUE Republicans. Can be the saviour of the party. What a book deal that would make

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Rawr

If there is a smoking gun, I'm perplexed as to what it could be at this stage.

Because even if they had photo of him proudly holding a signed copy of "My Plan to take over America as President for Life, no matter how many of my idiot supporters are hurt or killed in the process. By Donald J. Trump"...I still think he'd hold onto enough of the people who delight at how sh*t of a human being he is.

It would have to be some very spectacular smoking gun I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The 74M who voted for him did so before all the stuff emerged with respect to the ineptitude of trying to bring cogent cases of election fraud, the disastrous people around him during that time namely Giuliani, Mike Lindell, Sidney Powell etc. The released phone calls of him trying to force Georgia to find just enough votes so that he could have been declared the winner, inciting an insurrection, allowing it to continue as it did and promising pardons for those involved. His lack of dignity in how he left office and now it emerging that he had tried to destroy official documents and remove more of them.

Maybe McConnell is seeing that while some will stick with him, many more are more likely to stay at home. Trump has never really been a good person to have endorse you so maybe he's concerned that a Trump message in the midterms will also not be as positive for them as they thought it would be.

Or maybe Mike Pence has played his card and let it be known that if Trump is still being favoured by the party ahead of 2024, that he will comment on what he really was like as President to scupper his chances.

More probably I expect that McConnell knows that if Trump runs in 2024 that the Democrat media and advertising strategy has literally been written for them through his ineptitude the first time around.

Probably only a few people know for sure what is going on, maybe it's another trick by McConnell and he might pivot once again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

The Republicans resolve that the Jan 6 attempted and failed insurrection by Donald Trump was “legitimate political discourse?” Ask Police officer Sicknick. Oh, you can’t? Why not?

Ask the 140 Capital Police Officers that were injured defending the US Congress that day. Defending Vice President Pence, Senate, and House members that were in session that day doing their constitutional duty.

Ask Ashli Babbitt? Huh? Why can’t you? Ask Metropolitan Police Officer Jeffrey Smith or Capitol Police Officer Liebengood. What? Why can’t you?

Watch the vids taken that day. Many posted online by those Trump supporters bragging about what they did. Crushing and beating Capitol Police Officers as they smashed windows and broke doors into the nation’s Capital.

“What does the future hold for Donald Trump?” If he loses again in 2024? Will he concede the loss? And allow for the democratic peaceful transition of power from general election to general election? Or will he scream stolen election again, challenging his followers to attempt yet another violent insurrection like Jan 6? What do you think? “If at first you don’t succeed (2021), try, try again (2025)?”

Agreed. I'm trying to think. It would have to be something that would lose even his white-hood/Red-Hat brigade. Something that would lose him the GOP vote. But as far as I know, he's white, male and straight.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

But it really doesn't need to be something that turns the MAGA crowd away, as others have said it's hard to see anything that would change those minds

All it needs to be is something that guarantees that the GOP loses about 500,000 votes across a half dozen states which would be more than enough to lose them the election and a few Senate seats to boot.

McConnell couldn't care less about Trump (or any individual really), he wants to win elections and nothing else matters.

“What does the future hold for Donald Trump?” If he loses again in 2024? Will he concede the loss? And allow for the democratic peaceful transition of power from general election to general election? Or will he scream stolen election again, challenging his followers to attempt yet another violent insurrection like Jan 6? What do you think? “If at first you don’t succeed (2021), try, try again (2025)?”

And if that is not the definition of a terrorist, then what is? On that political jokes thread, one of his klan posted something about how Biden is losing his mind because he called these people terrorists.... Except... y'know, by Oxford English Dictionary, they were. BY DEFINITION:

terrorist

/ˈtɛrərɪst/

noun

1. a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

adjective

1. unlawfully using violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Definitions from Oxford Languages

Were there law enforcement in the building they attacked? Yes

Were there politicians in the building they attacked? Yes

Were there civilians in the building they attacked? Yes

I know, I know. I am preaching to the choir. His klan have long since stopped posting here because they have no valid arguments. But it IS worth noting that the GOP now officially endorse a terrorist, a quantifiable enemy of the state, as their presidential candidate.. That sentence alone is damning. But they will continue to endorse a terrorist and embrace his klan if it means they win.

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The National Archives has asked the Justice Department to examine Trump's handling of White House records.

Wonder what else he stole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Perhaps this is the reason why Pence and McConnell have broken ranks, pure conjecture of course

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Jesus fúcking Christ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

That actually seems kind of restrained for Trump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement