Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Weight loss is definitely a diet thing, first and foremost. It's far more important than exercise, and a proper diet of just eating less and eating healthier can result in significant and sustainable weight loss without any exercise at all (I did similar myself, any exercise was just a bonus to help, but all the weight I lost was through proper diet).

But I think for some people, they need the extra restrictions and incorporating exercise routine into it. Some people need that kind of routine because the more restrictive and the bigger change it is to their normal routine, it's easier to stick to.

I agree OT is a terrible show because it puts far too much emphasis on forcing the people on the show into a very strict and particular path, and forcing them to do things they're not going to do long-term. A good weight loss routine, including meal plans, exercise routines and how they incorporate that into their normal everyday lives, is very dependent on the individual. It's also about accepting that you'll have some bad weeks or not lose as much as you thought, but it's about progress over time and to keep going.

OT is about "This is your meal plan and what you have to eat this week because it's what they're selling in Dunnes. This is your exercise routine because Karl wants to show off these other exercises and don't forget to go out walking in the dark too. You've to do a challenge that normal firefighters do in their day to day job even though you're obviously not capable for it. And if you don't lose at least what we told you to lose last week, we're going to f*cking hammer you!"

I watched it one year and swore never to watch again. A year or two later I lost 8stone by not trying to do what they do on OT. It's a bullsh*t show.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Complete and utter hyperbole for about 90% of that post. They do not 'hammer' people for not losing the recommended weight. They've clearly moved on from weight loss being the absolute focal point. They do look at the bigger picture now

"Now" being the main word there, and only because of growing public pressure over it. Same with allowing them to weigh in wearing a t-shirt if they want. But yes, while that part of my post was pretty hyperbolic, the point stands that there have been numerous times where they've given out to a contestant for not losing weight or not losing enough weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Ciara is a right cnut anyway, no harm to have her off it, that's disgraceful carry on from her

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I am very bit as qualified as those people, actually.

Did you know that when it comes to exercise it will give an extra 5 to 10% is weigh loss - once you've got the diet nailed first. That's all, which means in effect that will get to where you want to be that bit faster time wise. But that's not huge is it.

When people are as overweight as the people on that show are there is no better way to start off than 100% concentrate on fixing your diet. And that should be done over months because there's a lot to learn, a lot to focus, a lot to get used to, new habits.

I never said there was anything wrong with excise plans per se, but I am saying that people starting off in the state they are in should forget about exercise and leave it until they've got the weight loss going by diet alone, then start getting into exercise if they want later, instead of taking all these things on at the same time.

The diet is the most import part and it is the hardest part. Exercise although physically strenuous is only something you do for half an hour to and hour per day. The diet is something you have to do the whole day. And there is a big issue with novices that they think it's the exercises that will do it, leading many to think that'll take care of their problem, and ignore the diet bit. Many loose some weight though exercises at the beginning but months later it stops, where people give up altogether and go back to their old ways thinking 'they can't do it'. Nobody 'can't do it'. People who think that are just doing it wrong.

One last comment on exercise, once one has lost significant amounts of weight, doing exercise will be so much easier. Because one doesn't have to carry that weight with you. Why start off exercise when you have that much weight on you. Psychologically and physically it will feel very hard which will make one feel like giving up altogether.

Loosing weight though diet alone will also have huge self esteem mental health effects on any person. Especially because if will make one realize they've solved the problem. So it's not like you say that exercises is needed for mental healthy benefits either. If might make you feel better for a while but not if your not shifting significant weight. Many people are slim, don't exercises, and get on just fine mentally.

The whole weighing yourself weekly thing is totally wrong as well. Psychologically it shows you have the wrong attitude. That weight loss is something you can expect to do fairly quickly. It's not. A watched kettle never boils. If you don't feel you've lost weight they you prolly haven't and if you have it's insignificant. You'll feel it in yourself, in your clothing, other people will notice. You just don't need to weight yourself at all.

So, my comments are not just wanton ott criticisms as you are suggesting. They are based on my expertise in this area.

Remember, this show is about people who are severely overweight and basically haven't got a clue. My comments are in made in respect of those types of people, and not those who just carry an extra stone on them.

• Advertisement

I don’t care how qualified you are - they are also qualified and are going about things their way on the show.

That extra 5-10% of weight loss from exercising is key as you’re increasing fitness levels at the same time (while naturally toning up, hence not a drastic weight loss from it). Everyone on the show has decreased their waist, neck measurements. It has to be seen as a success on that front.

The people aren’t being goaded into anything horrible - if they don’t want to be on the show they don’t have to go on it - they all wanted a change in their lives.

But the trouble is the experts are ultimately there to serve the show, not the contestants. They don't tailor the meals to the contestants because they have to fit into the meal plans they've arranged for sale in Dunnes/Supervalu. They don't tailor the exercise to the contestants because they have to get the contestants ready for the 5k at the end of the show regardless if running suits the contestants schedule or physicality. And if the contestants don't reach their target, prior to this series at least, they were given out to. Same with those ridiculous challenges they used to do (the series I watched had a bunch of challenges in a fire brigade training area) where they're expected to do things that they're clearly not capable of.

None of that is in the contestant's best interests, it's for the show.

What's best for the contestants is finding the meals they individually like and showing them healthy versions of those. What's best for the contestants is working with their individual schedules, finding the exercises they like and doing those, because it's easier to stick to. What's best for the contestants is acknowleding that people slip or have events with family/friends where they're going to go over their limits, and that one bad day won't ruin 6 good days. What's best for the contestants is helping them realise that even weeks with a minimal loss doesn't mean they're not working hard enough or that the program isn't working, because there's a huge range of things that can affect weight at a particular time/day.

Again, I haven't watched this series so far and I know they've tried to change things (because they were mostly forced to due to public pressure and criticism), but in previous series', the experts, as experienced and qualified as they were, were there to serve the show, not the contestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭hawley

Interesting article in the Irish Examiner at the weekend. It's behind a paywall, but it seems that OT is creating quite a few problems for the younger generation.

Unfortunately, not watching this series kinda debunks most of what you've said. The coaches have been decent to everyone - and flexible to their needs.

This show could be the reason 2 men have completely given up cigarettes and the reason all the leaders (and potentially many more) get healthier, not just from weight loss. The people complaining (not saying you specificially) just need to calm down a bit and go find something else to moan about.

And again, I've definitely acknowledged that this series is noted to have changed in several respects, on the back of public pressure and criticism. If they keep moving in the right direction, good. But I stand by my criticisms of the show regarding previous series'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They don't tailor the exercise to the contestants because they have to get the contestants ready for the 5k at the end of the show regardless if running suits the contestants schedule or physicality.

Absolutely agree with this and its one of my long term bug bears of the show- all contestants must run so they can do the 5k on the final episode. That in itself is all for the tv cameras and for making tv.

As a supposed fitness expert Karl cannot seriously stand by a one size fits all approach to exercise but thats exactly what he has done for god knows how many years now, 5 participants a year and every single one of them has to run. Not everyone likes running, I cant stand it and Im not alone in that. But I love cycling, swimming and the rowing machine at the gym. If people are forced into doing exercises that they just dont like then there is no way they will continue them long term. Whats needed is to find them exercise that they do like so they adopt it as a long term habit.

But as you say it is all about the shows interests and them making TV, its not about the participants interests because if it was they would be tailoring the exercise to something they will do long term. Making someone who hates running train for a 5k is basically a waste of time becasue theyre not going to keep it up once the tv cameras leave town. Not finding them a form of exercise that they like probably goes some way to explaining why when we do see former contestants a year later they are still over weight after the show.Ive yet to see a former contestant where I thought wow, they continued to lose weight after the show and now have a healthy BMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Niall_76

The 5k is to drum up interest in the viewers to follow plans and have a target event. I suppose they could arrange a run and a cycle event but would be a lot more logistics. Also, in my experience, cycling when heavy is very hard. At least with a 5k people can walk. I wonder will they set times for them with the change in this years edition. Or did they already and I missed it? Certainly a lot less focus on it than previous years.

I am sure there are leaders that maintained a healthy bmi after it. But it’s a bit like Ramsay’s Kitchen nightmares. There’s a reason why someone is on the show. It’s very hard for anyone to turn it round permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Ciara Kelly is one thundering cnut. "you're supposed to work hard every week".

What an ugly person for saying that as if weight loss isn't about developing long term sustainable habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

And what about those renting with 3 others who only have 1 shelf in a fridge for all their stuff? 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭sully123

Karl is getting very giddy about the fridge. Seeing a new side of him

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Achilles Knee

Celine doesn't bother too much..in the pyjamas. Fair play to Johnny, I think she's dog rough personality wise.

An awful lot of truth in your post.

I hate seeing obese people pounding the pavements, putting serious pressure on their back, hips, knees and ankles. You have to lose the weight through diet first. Or if you want to exercise, use an indoor bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In that clip from a few years ago your one Eilish was acting the bollox and got drunk at the races. Not a few, but plastered, taking the complete piss. She was a shite leader. Ciara Kelly was right, but went too far.

I don't like Ciara Kelly though in general, think she's full of herself, knows it all, and loves the sound of her voice.

But I remember that Eilish wan and she was taking the place of someone who might have put in some effort.

• Advertisement

Poor Stefano, been there. Worst for me was after 3 or 4 weeks and I had 10 days to two weeks where I couldn't sleep properly even after a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Well done on the weight loss.

however, you appear to have some bizarre agenda against the show for your own reasons.

I don’t know if you actually watch it because there’s a huge change in the leaders from week one. There’s an emphasis on total health/ lifestyle not merely weight loss.

the leaders are loosing weight to a greater/ lesser degree and appear to be a lot happier.

personally I followed it last year and lost 4 stone.

dismissing the exercise contradicts your assertion of ‘expertise’. There are a wide range of benefits to the exercise programme besides the pure calories burned.

Post edited by digzy on

once again, your bizarre agenda against the show….

1. Practically every tv show is about viewers and ratings. The basic premise of the show is that avg joe sitting at home picks a contestant with whom they identify with and follow them on the journey. I’ve only watched 2 series but it appears as if they pick two men, one the traditional culchie type and a gay man. There’s the younger girl, a lady who has a hectic work schedule and there’s the one with a back story. The plans have to be kept simple for joe public…they’re tweaked for each contestant as the show progresses. They’ve basically ‘partnered up’ with every supermarket bar tesco. I’ve never had an issue buying any of the items on the shipping list all year round. Suggesting that’s there is some conspiracy between dunnes/SuperValu and the show is laughable.
    2. the 5k is picked as a realistic goal for the vast majority of viewers. If you watched the show you’d see that mist of the leaders don’t actually run the 5k. Andrew last year ran it all but the rest walked/jogged it. The ethos of the show is that you can do an exercise that’s free and that you don’t need any expensive equipment or gym memberships. All of the resistance work is core exercise such as planks, lunges, push ups, leg raises and ski squats. All reasonable low impact options and leash likely to cause injury.
    3. the show serves the contestants. That’s plain to see if you spent as much time watching it as ranting here about what happened on it a decade ago. Assisting the leaders and the public aren’t mutually exclusive.

This is just typical attention seeking rubbish. As if there’s a whole cohort of snowflakes who develop eating disorders from watching a programme on rte!

if anything that group watch love island which I’d imagine would have a greater role to play in how young people see themselves.

You’re missing the basic premise of the show….they’ve picked a free and most accessible exercise for both leaders and viewers alike. No gym membership or equipment required…..

god forbid if they did there’s be a new snowflake gang ringing liveline moaning about having to buy a bike to keep up with the show

That’s just personal abuse. Shame on you.

I don’t like her tone on that clip….but she hit the nail on the head. Snowflakes don’t like the truth sometimes though..

That’s typical misinterpretation of the show…

’ fatties pounding the pavement..’

they're out walking. Big swing. What should they be doing.. sea swimming?

walking/running is the most accessible excercise for both viewers and leaders. It’s free and no equipment needed.

• Advertisement

Really like the leaders this year. All people you’d be rooting for. Besides the weight it’s great to see the happiness and increased confidence levels in all of them.

Advertisement