Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical cert issue with Electrician. What to do?

Options
  • 09-02-2022 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Hey,

So i got an Electrician to wire a garage for me on a site with an old cottage. The plan was to live in the garage while i build the house. The Electrician was well aware of this and i even asked before paying him and him giving me a cert "Do i need anything else to get connected to ESB" and he said to my face "No".

Anyway i rang to get the ESB connection moved and i found out that he has not sent in the cert and he wanted more money to come out and certify the garage and send off the cert to safe electric. I have already paid him for his. I later found out the cert he gave me is useless. I just wish i paid closer attention to it when he gave it to me as it says can not be used for connecting to ESB.

You wouldnt mind but i was so happy with him as he was the only guy who showed up when he said he would that i recommended him to a few friends and he made around 10k from work from the 2 of them.

What are my opinions here. If i pay him again to get it certified he may do this again. From what the ESB told me they said he(Electricians) have to send in the cert to safe electric.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

What Cert has he given you

a Cert 3 like this?

if so then the tests should already have been carried out and he already has a copy of this

he also should have given you a copy of these test records

https://safeelectric.ie/help-advice/periodic-inspection-reports/test-record-sheet-sample/

you need a Cert 1 for esbn connection

see can you discuss and resolve this with your rec. safe electric will not get involved with financial disputes

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭grimeire

Thank you for the prompt and detailed response.

He only gave me the Cert 3.

If i get this guy to come back and test and do a cert 1. Does he have to send in the Cert 1 to safe electric or can I. When i rang the ESB they said he or an electrician does which means i could get him to do it and he could do the same thing again and want more money to send it in.

He must of planned this from day 1 since he never asked for more money and never complained. He was there less than 2.5 days on the job and was not cheap and then he does this.

The rec sends the certificate to safe electric(RECI) who put it on the Esbn system

you should already have had a site visit from esbn if you are repositioning services and ductwork in place to new meter cabinet

also you need to pay them asap as this process is time consuming

im assuming you are connected temporarily to the existing power supply

btw

it’s not permitted to certify a temporary installation if that’s what’s in place at the moment.

Ok it sounds like I am better off getting someone else to certify it so as after the way this guy has carried on i would not be surprised if he does not send on the cert and looks for more money to send it in after he tests it and certs it.

I never had a site visit. They told me the process takes about 4 weeks and thats once the rec sends in the cert to Safe electric. Should i pay for repositioning services fee now or wait until i can get it certified do you think?

Yeah so basically, the garage is currently connected to the old house as i needed to get the inside of the garage done before i could disconnect the supply to the old house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

no real help here but getting another electrician out to cert that is likely to be a massive pain for you. It’s not something many would have any interest in getting involved in. Unless the electrical contractor for your new house was willing to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Fire off a solicitors letter and the van will be in the yard the following day with book of certs.

It’s not permitted for a rec to certify someone else’s work

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

Apply with reci for a change of contractor ,

Yeah that’s one way to go. the work has been finished and certified albeit incorrectly if service alterations are required. A change of contractor request is a time consuming process and I’d be surprised if another rec would be willing to take it on.

i wouldn’t take this on as there’s nothing to prevent op or anyone else from completing the rest of the electrical work once esbn do the reposition of services (that’s why temporary supply isn’t permitted)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

We use the interim cert for that , a follow up cert is needed or power is cut , stops a handy man coming in and wiring ,

• Advertisement

the REC came today to test everything again. He is telling me he cant give me the cert and the test-record sheet as he has to send the cert in first and then has to come out and retest everything before he can give me the cert?

is that correct or is he just looking for me to pay again and not send in the certs?

Yes he’s correct. He has to fill out the post connection test when Esbn do their connection into the meter and record results

he then gives you a copy of certificate and test records and returns one to safe electric

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He would have to do post connection tests alright. I was more industrial so would have worked differently but final certs would certainly be post connection and that would include the test record sheets.

Ask your rec for the Cert number so you can keep an eye on it and speed the process up.

prefix AR

cert number *******

Type pre-connection

https://www.mycertstatus.ie/

Advertisement