Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A) its not luck

B) just to clear, at this point here you want him to be carrying the ball in two hands to have the option of passing out to the 14 who has cover flying across ready to bundle him into touch and limit his ability to cut back inside against a scrambling defence, which is what he does to score the try? Cause that is just plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Did Ringrose **** in your cornflakes? 11 tries in 38 matches. RR89, you dislike Ringrose, it's obvious. Ringrose has more tries for Ireland than Henshaw!! Shocker! And Aki! Let's sit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I'd agree. Centre depth is excellent.

Back 3 has been better.

Take the lions as an indicator we had 2 centres on the tour and ringrose missed out after having been our player of the year in 20 (hemshaw in 21).

We haven't had many back 3 players starting for the lions last year or 5 years ago.

Id say There is potential in the back 3 but it's not worldclass yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Dont think FitzGlass ever started a 6N on the wing

He played every game of the 2009 GS and his injuries started later that year

Certainly is potential in the back 3. Hard to believe how good the options are when Stockdale is out injured. I think the quality has improved at the underage level. I wouldn't think that we lose a lot without the starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

In a way it is kind of luck. Ringrose didn’t create the space himself. So he was lucky personally. But he went and took advantage of that perfectly. He tucked the ball under one arm to take advantage of that space, and scored a good try from it. It’s interesting how some see a guy taking advantage of space to score a try as a bad thing…..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Really should have know that. Although it just shows the power of the mind. You can erase someone from your memory when you try!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I haven't watched it back in slomo but if Ringrose runs straight at Williams he forces him to make the tackle and the pass to Conway puts him clean through. Unless the FB is actively running away from him to cover the winger leaving his teammate needing to nail the tackle from behind. A tucked ball is arguably the best position if he does take contact as he can fend and pop a fairly straightforward offload.

But if the defence just gives you the Moses treatment you'd be a fool not to hit the gas and run in unopposed

The three-quarter line. not back three...to be specific & pedantic!

It's the level of depth across that line as a unit that is most impressive to me.

I would be equally confident in each of these lineups for sat:

Conway, Ringrose, Aki, Hansen

Baloucoune, Ringrose, Henshaw, Lowe

tiny bit less in:

Larmour, Ringrose, Henshaw, Lowe

& again in:

Baloucoune/Larmour, Henshaw, Aki, Lowe

With the weakest been; Larmour, Hume, Aki/Henshaw, Earls

Keenan can also play wing when needed.

Who is going to be the next 12 to get capped. Moore?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Frawley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

While I agree on the centres would either of our wingers, or even our full back have started for France last week?

I think both teams are evenly matched but they have dominance in the back 3 and 9 positions.

God no. I'd pick the French back 3 every day of the week....except when they don't get their coffee and croissants.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'd take Keenan over Jaminet but agreed on the wingers, Penaud is the best winger in the world to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Load of nonsense, Ringrose is well aware that the 2 midfield defenders have been turned infield allowing him space outside.

He tucks the ball to allow the hand off if needed and also for more speed, he sees the gap and backs his pace, top class heads up rugby.

Ringrose is our most gifted player at the moment and probably the best defender at 13 in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The strength of the Irish squad can be gauged by those that are not in it as opposed to who is in it. There are some very impressive players uninjured that can't get playing.

NZ tour. Three Tests in Auckland, Dunedin, and Wellington ...as well as two midweek games.

Didnt know that. Māori All Blacks and the other against a Super Rugby side. It appears that the three Tests are slated for Auckland, Dunedin, and Wellington. 

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Sure, but then you are just introducing the risk of a pass into the equation when it is completely not necessary. The FB there is set up to cover the outside man and is fairly motoring towards the touchline, he can not properly cover Ringrose cutting back inside and his support is not close enough to take Ringrose on the inside. He didn't score a try by luck, he cut back inside cause no one was in a position to tackle him if he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

On the basis that he has been in camp already (may have been capped in the summer?) then it should be Ciaran Frawley. However Stewart Moore is building a compelling argument as well.

But let's not forget Chris Farrell or Stuart McCloskey.

I'd rank our centres

Henshaw

Ringrose/Aki

Hume

Farrell

McCloskey

Frawley

But there are some decent options below that as well in Moore, O'Brien, Daly, Curtis and Will Addison could play there as well if needed. Flip even Luke Marshall is still about! Oh and Jamie Osborne coming through as well, maybe at 15 though.

I didn't see the 20s on Friday, but were the centres any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

there was talk of this recently, is it confirmed? This could be a stroke of genius , bring a slightly enlarged squad to replicate a World Cup trip.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,605 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ringrose knew he had tompkins for pace and that Williams had pushed too wide...

He made exactly the right call.

The fact he never took the ball into both hands showed that he knew what the right decision was all along

That Ringrose! Who utterly selfish of him to score while carrying with one hand! Could he be prejudiced against 2 hand carrying! The audacity. Fuckin Blackrock pretty boi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,473 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

So excited for this tour, really think we can do well. I love that 3 series tours have made a comeback over the last few years. Wish the SH teams would do the same when they come North.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Unless he can run as fast while holding the ball in two hands (which is unlikely) I think he did the right thing based on the picture that was developing in front of him.

I'm making a more general point. I think he'd have done the same thing irregardless of what the defenders were doing, hence my belief that he was, in a way, lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

So you’re saying a centre with 38 caps, 11 tries, just happened to do the right thing at the right time and scored an excellent try but it was only by luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,634 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Lukhanyo Am has to be the best defensive 13 in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

I think the Ringrose "lucky" is a result of us Leinster fans flashbacks to the 2019 European final when he butchered a simple overlap. However, in the context of this match, I think Ryan is the lucky player. He had two outside him to convert a simple score and got try line fever, It ended up being a try a few minutes later but it was a bad miss

In the interest of losing the run of ourselves, I think that Ringrose try is something I'd expect from new Zealand. Quick turnover ball, turning defense into attack, lots of simple skills executed with a little bit of individual brilliance thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Would recommend listening to BOD on OTB this week, can get it in podcast. Goes into an insane level of detail on how we're playing and honestly there's so much in it that us armchair experts just wouldn't have a clue about.

Advertisement