Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I think myself that there is alot of people from many different countries and cultures that we know nothing about. Another aspect is it would probably be easier to get records on people from UK and certain parts of EU but I think records of convictions of people from say Africa or middle east for example would be very slim.

Why do you think that?

And why it how would we get records of UK or EU citizens if we don't even know that they live here?

Think your making my point for me, you don't get people's records if you don't know they live here.

Well exactly. So do you think that EU and UK citizens should have to register their domicile here, so we know who they are and where they live?

I never get the logic of this. Sure, maybe with the UK, but even then, the vast majority of people go through one or more points where they need to identify themselves to State officials, with their details being taken.

• Advertisement

Yes definitely, I think every country should know is living in it.But anyone who is here legally would surely have to do this wouldn't they.

No, noone from the UK or EU has to tell anyone that they live here.

I think everyone living here should have to register at a local council office.

Far too many people here that we know nothing about.

No. Noone takes any details of UK or EU citizens entering the country. Why would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

There's a deliberate attempt by our political class and media to make Ireland multicultural....I mean its not like there's no near examples of how this, more often than not goes ar5eways...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40804200.htmlhttps://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40804200.html

What is wrong with encouraging people to join AGS?

• Advertisement

When I fly into an airport or enter by a port, my ticket details are logged. Those tickets will generally have my name and passport ID. Passport control often happens on both sides of the travel, so it would be easy to log details of people entering the country. There are plenty of places where people's details will be logged, which can provide a record of travel or arrival in a country. The same with the automatic car readers on motorways which automatically charge a persons credit card, and those details would be logged by revenue.. allowing the State to know if EU citizens are in the country.

You have an extremely limited viewpoint as to where our identification is logged when travelling across borders.

If someone had to go looking for such details then yes such things can be found, flight manifestos are often used by law enforcement.

Investigation only takes place after a crime, no one is going looking for these details until something has happened

Nothing to do with the point that nobody coming into this country as an EU or UK passport holder has to inform anybody that they live here.

do you think there is a massive database somewhere that holds into credit card details of car rental users and matches them with flight manifestos from arriving planes?

There is no record anywhere in this country of those people who live here.

Personally I think that is a massive mistake, maybe a costly one

If someone had to go looking for such details then yes such things can be found, flight manifestos are often used by law enforcement.

You make it sound like nobody is interested in such details, but the system is already in place to detect those travellers coming in from non-EU countries.. and so, it's far more likely that everyone who arrives with such details is recorded.

During covid, all travellers coming into Ireland, were required to fill out forms and identify themselves for contact tracing, but also for other reasons too. The idea that the State is not aware of who is arriving into Ireland through conventional means is ridiculous.

I agree that those coming by land from N.Ireland or those coming into Ireland by small boats without registration can enter without being detected, but the numbers would be small in comparison to the whole, and your claim was about the whole.... which simply isn't true.

As for the rest, I agree that all aliens should need to register and be tracked while in the country (regardless of whatever agreements Ireland has with the UK/NI).

Non EU people arriving into Ireland have visas, they are recorded on entering, why do you think there are different passport control queues?

UK and EU passports are not recorded entering, merely looked at to compare photo and person.

Passenger locator forms were completely 100% for covid reasons. They cannot and are not and would not be used for any other purpose.

I have never said that Ireland cannot find out who has entered the country, should anyone need to look for that information. I have always stated that Ireland does not know who lives here. In particular UK and EU citizens.

I believe everybody should be registered at a local council.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Come on.... you know they have a problem with certain types of people

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

No, Bubbly, EU passport holders will be checked on entering the country coming from a non-EU nation. I know.. I've always had my passport checked when arriving back in Europe from China.

Secondly, in most cases, you will have to pass over boarding information to the flight crew, and those tickets (and passports) will enter a system that the airport, and State officials will have access to. Never mind the security control points who also check ticket information and identification for people travelling, which would also be recorded and sent to the authorities. In many airports, even when there isn't a actual passport control, tickets/passports will be scanned to allow access into the airport itself after leaving the plane.

Covid forms would be recorded, and those records would hold information on the identity of travellers, allowing them to be tracked.

As I said, you have a very limited viewpoint on how our identities are registered or detected. You're clutching at the idea that people don't need to show their passports for inter-European travel, but in reality, there are many areas where our identification is required, and considering the power of computerised systems, it's relatively easy for information to be passed between different organisations.

Agree totally. Anything that will help.

But if someone is here to work legally will they not have to register for a pps number to work or a tax clearance or credit confirmation.

I love the show on TV about Australia border force. I wish Ireland was as strict to enter as Australia.

What types are these.Go on and let me know what types you think were against.

• Advertisement

I am well aware that those things can be tracked, as I said, we can find out who entered the country, should there be reason to check.

EU passports enter Ireland in the same queue, no matter where they have come from. A.cursory check to make sure photo and person match is all that is required.

data protection forms, used for covid only, and nothing else

I'm not clutching at any straws. I am well aware of how to track people, however that is not done unless there is a reason, such as after a crime has been committed.

I have consistently stated that Ireland do not know what EU or UK citizens may be living here as there is no requirement for anyone to register their domicile here. I believe you agree.

If they work here legally, then yes.

if they undertake illegal employment, or perhaps live of the proceeds of crime, then they won't need a PPS number.

That's why I think a massive effort is needed by the government to seriously start rounding up anyone who is not working legally or getting a conviction and shipping them out asap. Something I don't hear about or see happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Its unimaginable that rather than being against people, you could be for the interests of Irish people in their own state.

The whole EU/non-EU distinction is a bit of a red herring. There are very clear differences between EU and non-EU migrants in terms of economic contribution/drain (that in itself is a red herring) and they are not even comparable really - EU "migrants" are simply exercising their ability to live and work throughout the EU. Irish citizens benefit from the same ability. Whereas there is no such trade-off or benefit from non-EU migration.

We're already seeing how the carefully curated grievances of non-EU migrants and enclaves are being leveraged by NGOs and so on to run the same narratives that have been applied in every other country that has attempted mass-migration. To the complete disadvantage of the indigenous Irish who will be taxed to fund the NGOs acting against them.

But despite those differences, it all comes down to numbers ultimately. Mass migration that forms ethnic enclaves is bad for the indigenous people regardless of its source.

I have stated many many times I have no problem with any person coming to this country to work, contribute and integrate with others. I have a massive problem with people coming to do nothing and expect to be kept by this country. Kept by tax payers. We have enough of this kind of our own.

You even said yourself that most of the recent posts are just foreigner bashing. Like why ask me for evidence when you even highlighted the evidence yourself very recently.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

They negated that by using habitual residency requirements

The term habitually resident is not defined in Irish law. In practice it means that you have a proven close link to Ireland. The term also conveys permanence - that a person has been here for some time and intends to stay here for the foreseeable future. Proving you are habitually resident relies heavily on fact. If you have lived in Ireland all your life, you will probably have no difficulty showing that you satisfy the factors which indicate habitual residence – see list below.

As for getting housing - have you seen the mess that is DP

You're deflecting. As usual. You made a claim about the AGS. Past comments on the thread don't relate to that claim.

So, back up your claim with evidence.

Im not deflecting at all. You asked for evidence. You even admitted yourself that a lot of this thread recently was foreigner bashing. Thats the evidence.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

EU passports enter Ireland in the same queue, no matter where they have come from. A.cursory check to make sure photo and person match is all that is required.

Bubbly, I'm telling you that EU passports into the EU coming from countries outside of the EU will be checked just the same as any other passport. They'll go to a booth with EU written on it, but they'll still be checked. I know that because I've lived in China for close to 13 years and came home twice a year during most of that period. Dublin often has lax security checks but usually they'll check the passports.

But as usual, you've got your fingers in your ears, and will just continue repeating the same points. Forget it.

Advertisement