Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running injury , compensate with swimming and cycling ?

Options
  • 08-02-2022 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

In the middle of the base phase of training for iron distance event and i have gotten a tweak in the ligaments in my foot

bit like a bad sprained ankle, not a disaster , just needs to be rested, so no running for a week to 2 weeks

what i am curious about is would it be better to just not do anything when i'm supposed to be running or should i be doing a cyling or running session instead,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

cycling or swimming session even

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Are you able to aqua swim in the pool ?

I would personally would be doing a bike (providing its not causing any issues with the foot); this would be just basic endurance work,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I’d agree with Benny if the foot isn’t giving you any issues in the pool and on the bike then go ahead.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

yeah its fine on the bike and in the pool , once i stay away from fins, il probably use the pull bouy a bit more just to keep the pressure off , its the ligaments at the top of the foot and then also along the side of the shin, cant remember doing anything specifically in terms of injuring it, i think it may just be an overuse injury , i had a couple of weeks there where i doubled almost everything up monday to friday because the weekends werent available,

started to get sore in the middle of a run last saturday, not quite as bad now but still not quite there for running yet so its going to be another few days at least, supposed to be doing setanta duathlon in 2 weeks, was hoping to have a good crack at it, will probably have to take it easy enough now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Really a question for a physio. Swimming is lowest impact, cycling is low impact but nobody here can say whether it impacts on your ankle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

It would image it depends on where in the foot the ligament issue is; if in the foot its self then cycling should be ok; with the shoes been as stiff as they are there is little foot movement to aggravate the ligament,

if it was closer to the ankle then it would be different as there is continuous movement and it might not help.

yeah its a funny one, started out as foot ligaments, top of foot, that calmed a bit and now its gone to a more shin splints type of thing

just above the ankle , outside of the shin , so il be chatting to a physio because shin splints , if thats what it is can be tough to get rid of and i dont need to make it any worse, easy zone 1 / 2 cycling is fine so far, any real pressure on the pedals seems to flare it up..

Advertisement