Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Sexton out, Carbery in. Would have gone with Carty myself. Can't see us winning now in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Negative short term might be positive long term.

It’s very difficult to see 37 year old Sexton getting through five weeks, hopefully even longer, of a World Cup. Carbery obviously has his own injury issues and wouldn’t like to bet too much on him doing so. Ireland need to be getting third choice and fourth choice 10s plenty of game time in the next 18 months.

That's very disappointing. With Sexton I think it was doable, I don't see it now.

That's really taken from the spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I think our chances have gone from 50/50 to 75/25 against without Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭A-Train

What ever chance we had is gone now. I would have went with Carty to start. Carbery is only returning from injury and wasn't exactly on fire before the injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Great chance for carberry. And a great chance to see how this new system with multiple playmakers functions without sexton pulling the strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Big ask for Carbery. But also a great opportunity to start in a full strength team with hopefully quick ball from JGP and starting pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don't know how many Ireland starts Carbery has had in an Ireland team that is settled and playing well, not many I would wager. Let's see how he gets on this weekend, I'm optimistic about him.

15. Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 17 caps

14. Andrew Conway (Munster/Garryowen) 28 caps

13. Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 38 caps

12. Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 34 caps

11. Mack Hansen (Connacht) 1 cap

10. Joey Carbery (Munster/Clontarf) 28 caps

9. Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 13 caps

1. Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 41 caps

2. Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 17 caps

3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) 53 caps

4. Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 26 caps

5. James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 41 caps CAPTAIN

6. Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 13 caps

7. Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 36 caps

8. Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 23 caps

Replacements

16. Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne) 3 caps

17. Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 113 caps

18. Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 19 caps

19. Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy) 65 caps

20. Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 80 caps

21. Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 93 caps

22. Jack Carty (Buccaneers/Connacht) 10 caps

23. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster/Buccaneers) 53 caps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Carbery to fail a HIA after 10 minutes.

MOTM Carty to drop kick the winner in 81st minute.

Heard it here first.

Seriously though there's a bizarre relief knowing Sexton is out. Dampens expectations a bit which makes it a less stressful build up... Daft logic perhaps!

But no harm to expose Carbery and Carty to a Cauldron like Parc de Princes.

The only way it would ever have happened is through injury to Sexton. Here it is.

As long as we throw the kitchen sink at them I won't mind losing this one too much.

Still think a LBP is essential though. (and the likely minimum return)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Hard to believe this is Carbery’s first 6N start considering he made his debut in 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Bad news there. Carberys performance left a lot to be desired coming on. Hope he proves us wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Huge opportunity for him. Hopefully he can grasp it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'd be very interested to see exactly how you think this is going to go well for you....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

And this is why planning to go to the RWC relying on a 37 year old fly half to be fit is suicide. I honestly wouldnt be against giving Sexton the 2022/2023 season off with Ireland so we can focus on building depth at 10 with the RWC in mind, this idea that we can be relying on a 38 year old to be fit for 5 weeks in the sort of planning id expect from a tier 2 nation, not Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Sexton is like a tampon.

In for one week out for three.

I cant see anything in Carberys gametime this season to suggest that he is physically able for this game and i cant see anything in his form this season to suggest he can guide us to a win even if he holds up to the physicality of things.

This would be a most famous win were they able to pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Downlinz

To be honest we should have been starting Carbery with or without an available Sexton for this Six Nations.

This is huge for building the team ahead of the RWC, how Joey plays this weekend could be a defining moment for the team moving forward. The end of an era and the beginning of a new one perhaps.

Much more excited for the game now!

What did he actually do wrong? There isn't much he can do if the players around him keep dropping the ball.

Maybe this could be the best thing that ever happened to Ireland with the RWC in mind, if Carbery has the game of his life and he manages to guide us on to a famous win in Paris then his confidence will be sky high and then we will know for sure that we don't desperately need Sexton to win big matches, yes we are improved if Sexton plays of course but the key issue we need to fix is NEEDING Sexton to win a big game, we have so many quality players in that Irish squad that we shouldn't have to be reliant on one player to make us tick.

The big winner in all this is Ben Healy.

And one other thing I'd say about the situation at 10 is since this new style started clicking, from Japan in the autumn until now, we probably arent as reliant on Sexton as we used to be as the way we play now is much more of a 1-15 game whereas lets say under Schmidt it felt like everything had to go through Sexton as the gameplan was much more system based rather than based on the individuals in the team. Like I said previously we shouldnt be dependent on one player being fit if we want to win a RWC no matter how good that player so this may not be a bad thing.

• Advertisement

And this is why planning to go to the RWC relying on a 37 year old fly half to be fit is suicide.

We aren't planning on it. We just don't have any better solutions. Sexton being old doesn't make the other guys any better unfortunately.

But this weekend we'll get a good look at Carbery at least.

We are planning on it because not enough has been done to fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

A disaster for the Grand Slam, pretty bad for the 6N but a blessing for RWC preparation.

If Carbery is No2, then he needs to start some big games.

If it goes belly up, then we need the time and games to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I don't think Joey Carbery is as good as Jonny Sexton - but that is not the problem here.

The problem is that switching Sexton in and out is not a case of changing the player. It is a case of changing the systems and re-distributing all the things he does among the rest of the backline and leadership team. The team is built around him in a way no other team is. Carbery isn't just being asked to fill in, he's being asked to fill in with three degrees of separation from his nearest provincial colleagues, to replace broken cog in a machine he wasn't built for.

The choice to replace Sexton (when it happens) has to be a commitment. It can't be a transition. This game will not be a preminition of Ireland without Sexton. Joey has the world against him, I hope he goes really well and Carty has a great one off the bench - but I won't judge him based on how it goes, and I have very low expectations.

Yes, there has been. Plenty of lads have had plenty of chances and none have grasped it because only Carbery has the potential to be good enough and he's too injury prone.

Is anyone actually surprised sexton is injured?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Honestly, when people say things like this what on earth are they actually expecting? Through a combination of poorly timed injuries and players just not being good enough there was not much more than could be done.

Anyway, this is bad news for this 6N. Remains to be seen if there are silver linings I guess.

Carbery's first start in the 6N, that tells its own story.

Just throwing someone to the wolves isnt "giving someone a chance". You need to actually back a 10 rather simply say hold the jersey for Sexton, its the sort of thing Ireland have done in the 2000s which is why before 2013 or so we always struggled depth wise as we didnt back enough players outside our starting team.

Carbery has the talent to be a good test level 10 but he needs confidence and with that he needs to be backed this weekend, maybe a blessing that Sexton's injury has come up in the media until today as now any preparation France had with stopping Ireland's attack is affected as we all know their plan would have been to rattle Sexton and to be fair Carbery is a very different kind of 10 so its hard to know if the same tactics will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭crossman47

I can't believe all the people here who are glad of this because it will help planning for the WC. For God's sake, we don't wing Grand Slams or championships very often and now our hopes have taken a big blow. These were winnable while the WC is a slim chance, with or without Sexton. I'm old enough to have suffered through the many years we struggled to win a few games each year so I certainly hoped for something big this year and let next year look after itself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Its a big blow, but as said above takes the pressure off us. If the plan is as good as we are led to believe and definitely seeings signs of it the last few games we still have a chance, a slim chance. But it was never a sure thing we'd go there and win. Really hope Carbery doesn't get injured and can hold up.

Wouldn't fancy being any of them and getting hit by Atonio, he is an absolute monster.

Advertisement