Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we integrate Unionism into a possible United Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

It's not an opinion, I'm simply stating the facts about your false claims on what we would have to do to protect the "British identity" after unification.

All of what you are saying are things we could do if we wanted to make a gesture to the Unionists if the majority of people in the North voted for Unification in a referendum, some of which I agree with you that we should do but none of it is obligatory under the GFA.

Some slight bigotry by a former DUP leader who was removed after just a few weeks in no way means the majority of Unionists feel the same way, the majority of Unionists are decent people who want to get on with their lives and don't worry about all that crap, they are far more concerned about more important matters than sectarian bigotry.

If the majority of Unionists 50 years after Unification still refer to themselves as British rather than Irish even though Britain doesn't even rule any part of Ireland anymore then we have done an absolutely awful job at integrating the Unionists.

It would be very illogical for people born into the Irish state 50 years after Unification to still refer to themselves as British, they might still identity with their Ulster Scot heritage which is completely different to refusing to identify as Irish and calling yourself British, there might be a very small die hard cohort of loyalists who still do but most people will move on fairly quickly like they did in the 26 counties and people did in former British colonies all over the world, very few of which today still refer to themselves as British.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Well from you previous posts. I take it you think NI should leave the commonwealth and that tricolour should be flown outside stormont to respect the GFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Until integration of schools happens, they will never integrate fully.

Agreed, they are all steps we will look into after Unification. The state of Northern Ireland was built on division and is still based on division to this day in so many ways, it's unlikely the divide will ever truly go away while Northern Ireland still exists, finally after Unification the constitutional status of Northern Ireland will no longer be up for debate and the people can finally move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

If 50 years after United Ireland they still identify as British who cares ?

As long as they are not causing trouble they can identify as Klingon for all I care.

Our forefathers emigrated many decades ago and six generations later they still identify as Irish. Have you noticed that they put the Irish first when they call themselves Irish Americans and they haven’t lived here since the Famine. Has America failed to integrate them or perhaps they accept multi-cultureism.

Tbh I find your insistence about them calling themselves Irish a bit disturbing.

You want a 32 county state, all peaceful of course, but you still want to judge them on how they label themselves.

Ulimately it is their choice not

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Out of curiosity, if we had a referendum and UI was rejected, and had a second one with the same result……would you accept it ?

I suspect not, would we have to go for best of five, or as soon as the one true yes vote was achieved.

Your unlimited devotion to brings us back to the status quo before the Ulster plantations is impressive and disturbing in equal measure.

That's a completely nonsensical comparison, people referring to themselves as American Irish or African American or English people referring to themselves based on heritage is completely different to refusing to call yourself part of Ireland and instead pledging allegiance to the Queen. They may still refer to themselves as Ulster Scots based on their heritage but they will not still call themselves British for very long, the same as the Unionists in the ROI and the Unionists in the former British colonies around the world didn't.

A good example is South Africa of which white South Africans have a very strong connection to Britain and only ceased being a British colony in the 60s, hardly any white South Africans today still refer to themselves as British, it's not really logical to continue to call yourself British when you are no longer part of it, especially for the newer generations who were never part of Britain at all, as I said the British identity will quickly die out after Unification as it has in the ROI and around the world.

I have no problem with Unionists keeping their British passports, what I think is a problem that we should try to prevent in a United Ireland is a large segment of our population refusing to identify as Irish and instead identity with a foreign country, we need to integrate the Unionists into our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Agreed, and surprisingly, the two biggest objections to educational integration are the DUP and SF. I wonder why.

Of course I would accept it if the majority of people didn't feel the time was right and voted against it after a long debate leading up to the referendum. That opinion and the circumstances around Unification might change again a few years later so we could then hold another referendum and have yet another debate to decide if we wanted it or not.

This is why a United Ireland is inevitable, we only have to win one referendum while the Unionists have to win them all for the rest of eternity.

• Advertisement

Why would it be illogical for people born into the Irish state 50 years after unification to still refer to themselves as British.

There are people born in the USA 450 years its creation who refer to themselves as Sioux rather than American. Do you want to take away their rights?

There are people born in South Africa who refer to themselves as Afrikaan despite the country having both being ruled by the UK and an independent state since they arrived there.

Blanch it's not going to happen, there might be a tiny minority of diehard unionists 50 years after Unification who still refuse to call themselves Irish and would rather identity with a foreign country but they will be very much a minority.

The vast majority of Unionists will move on fairly quickly although many of them will still recognise their heritage while still referring to themselves as Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

hitch us up with a failed state

So leave our fellow Irish people marooned in the failed statelet subject to relentless Unionist hatred? How noble of you. Congratulations though, you're getting there bit-by-bit by acknowledging that the north is a failed statelet.

reconciliation between both sides has yet to commence

The beginning point of reconciliation is the ending of partition which has extended the life of toxic hateful unionism far past its sell by date. Also when you mention 'two sides' you're spitefully othering our people in the north who have a constitutional right to their Irish citizenship.

This horrifies partitionists but when a border poll is held the problem you pretend is contained in the north will show itself to be a problem for all of us. The 'two sides' factor will manifest itself as either standing with those of us who want to unite the country or colluding with unionists to extend their gerrymandered, dysfunctional, statelet.

Post edited by Junkyard Tom on

That is no more than wishful thinking and very similar to the rainbows and unicorns picture of a united Ireland that has been painted here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In response to the OP, you can't integrate Unionism in to a 32 county Republic because, by definition, Unionism wouldn't exist as a concept at that point. The union with GB would be over.

You could toy around with some, pretty meaningless, reassurances for protestants - some of which seem to believe there is discrimination against them in the country.

But the whole concept of Unionism in a united Ireland wouldn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

I live in the North and I dread to think of what the outcome would be if unification was ever to occur.

The idealist and romantic in me wants to see it happen - I think of myself as Irish rather than Northern Irish, and in the course of travel and work (I deal with many work colleagues globally) it's very apparent that most people outside of the UK & Ireland don't see any distinction between North and South. It's just all Ireland to them. It's only those of us on these isles who can't see the woods for the trees that are obsessed with the dividing border.

However, I also know a lot of Unionists - some very well - who are deeply entrenched in their beliefs and I have no doubts that there would be a lot of violent protests and bloodshed in the likes of Derry and Belfast were it to push ahead. There would be a steep price to pay if it did happen and for those of us who live peacefully in the North, we'd be stuck in the middle of it.

But then again, great change rarely comes without a cost.

The question isn't really about how we integrate Unionism into a possible United Ireland. They see themselves as British, so the question really is how far should an open, welcoming, tolerant and inclusive republic go to make British people feel at home here. This is not about making them Irish as "republicans" seem to want, more about how this state can be both Irish and British.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Well Blanch, what would you suggest we should do to make British people fell part of the Irish nation?

I have made lots of suggestions already on this thread.

Within the next few years, those who identify as British/unionists in Northern Ireland are going to be in a minority. How are they going to deal with that? Some might come to the conclusion that they might be better off as a minority in a UI rather than a minority in NI!

• Advertisement

But nationalists won't be in a majority, they will be in a minority too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

We've made countless British people feel welcome here, Blanch.

I will certainly welcome efforts to integrate Ulster Scots culture into our country, to provide protection to it (as any country should for historically significant minority cultures within their state), but (I'm not sure if it is just clumsy phrasing on your part), we by definition won't be a British and Irish STATE, unless you're suggesting Unification via rejoining a sinking United Kingdom?! We'll without a doubt be a state made up of people who are British as well as Irish (along with Polish, Nigerian, Brazilian etc etc), but I do not foresee a future where the unified Ireland becomes some sort of joint protectorate of the British state and an Irish government.

Again, perhaps I'm misreading you and you're talking in cultural terms?

What I am saying is that we will have to do more than that, recognise formally that this State is a shared Irish and British one, otherwise how can we reflect the GFA that recognises both traditions.

This is a difficult compromise for republicans to even comprehend, I get that, but it is the only constructive way towards a united Ireland.

How do you want to formally recogise that this State is a shared Irish and British one?

edit: for example - do you want to fly the British flag over the Dail along with the Tricolour? I want practical suggestions not just waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

A UI would be in independent Republic. In a Republic everyone is equal by law.

The GFA is legal peace agreement. It is not subjective. A UI could easily hit the legalities of the GFA. We are not obliged to do most of the things you claim a UI would need to do to honour the GFA. Btw there is still no Irish act in the North, 24 years after the GFA. This is not breaking the legalities of the GFA even if your subjective view is that is.

Anyone who wants to practice their identity won't be stopped and not demanding that people can only hold one passport would be enough for a UI to meet the GFA. This is what the UK do today regarding the Irish identity in the north and they're not breaking it.

You seem to think the UK are not breaking the GFA but if a UI do similar to the UK then UI will be.

Do you refer to the UK as a shared state between the British and Irish?

And how do you figure that one out without a referendum on a UI?

To put it another way, how will unionist politician voters react when SF is the largest party in Stormont?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

that wont happen , given that there is a good chance that Scotland would breakaway , it would be smart politicking to have a "special relationship" with that new state, maybe to the point of some defence sharing. If such were the case it would greece the groove

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

I've no idea. The problem in NI has always been the extreme minorities; the vast majority of people here just want to get on with their lives and and share the normal concerns that we all do - education / health / infrastructure / etc. I have friends who would identify as British and/or Unionist and they have no major problems with a UI because their main concerns are their families and jobs and living standards and so on.

But we have somehow fallen into a 50yr+ recurring loop of being led and dictated to by the actions of those minorities who resort to violence and extremism and whose only unerring focus is always, always on the Union, often at the cost of everything else. I don't think any of those minorities are going to change in the next few years, even if they find themselves in a UI. It does feel that as time moves on and generational changes take place, their spheres of influence slowly grow a little smaller, but I think it will be a long long time before there is no influence at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭eire4

Advertisement