Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

So some lies are OK then?

I wonder how many other lies were we told about covid?

I would have thought credibility in public health advice was important

They've basically admitted some of it was bullshit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Be that as it may, but clearly 'controlling the narrative' is not a phrase of 'conspiracy theorists'. Puts a different light also on that BS phrase 'the science' that's always been thrown at us.

The problem is - like in real, small life - once a liar always a liar. Justified or not, 'right' reasons or not, credibility becomes an issue once you get caught with one or two things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I know there were some on here, far more educated than me on this subject, that said PCR was the way to go, and antigen was a waste of time and we could not be trusted to use them. I used to wonder alright about those PCR's giving positive results due to old viral whatevers hanging around after you are no longer sick or contagious. And yet, most of the world still considers them the acid test. Confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Who says it was lies? What was said about SA, rightly IMO, was while it was great to hear that we needed to see how things went in northern European winter. At the time that couldn't be said and the type of caution we've seen over these two years was the obvious response.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

They are complimentary. PCR will catch more cases (asymptomatic and viral fragments from a recovered case included) and are excellent for diagnostic and statistical purposes. Antigen tests are excellent for allowing individuals to assess their own situation but with a much larger margin of error depending on the circumstances. It had been reported for a long time that antigen tests are highly accurate when someone is symptomatic and when the viral load is highest (i.e. most likely to be contagious).

Ideally PCR tests could have been primarily used to collect accurate statistics on spread in the community and antigens could have been used as a method of mitigation by individuals but we got the whole “snake oil” nonsense and heard how we should “trust the experts” so long as it wasn’t the experts saying the opposite of our experts. 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement

For 90% of us the real success was getting through these two years, as healthily as possible, both mentally and physically. That meant getting ourselves to a point of understanding ,of what was required of us and and of however much of the science that made sense. I really don't see what you hope to do with all of this.

As for CT folks, somewhere in the 6,000 CTs that exist about COVID, there was always a chance that one or two might get close, but very much by accident rather than design.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

Indeed Professor Mina stated this months ago in reference to Nolans and Holohans views on Antigen Testing. This testing is tracking infectiousness at a particular period of time whereas PCR will pick up everything.

Antigen tests got a vey bad press initially, mainly because many of them were useless but they evolved very well. As has been said they can be good at identifying the symptomatic but many countries wanted more that for disease management so that was the PCR route. In our case the NPHET belligerence towards them was puzzling and a bit childish. IMO, it's been one of their poorest stances and we could have been using them as early as June of last year as a backup to the PCR system.

Mina was one of the many US academics who made tools of themselves during this and it was all about ego over common sense for the vast majority. May we never hear from them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I see the normal winter trolley crisis is back in the news. Things getting back to normal in our hospitals it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I really don't see what you hope to do with all of this.

I despair a bit over an attitude like this. 'Ah sure let it be it was for our best and what can you do.' It so defeatist and subservient.

Lies and manipulation need to be exposed or it will happen over and over again. If you're happy with that knock yourself out I'm not.

This all seems to be a bit of a reckoning of accounts on your part, not something that resonates with me I'm afraid. It is/was a very unique event in all of our lives and we got some things right, quite a few things wrong and some of us learnt to ignore things that just weren't important. Post-mortems will emerge from this in order to do things (a lot) better but not to your level of granularity or finger pointing. What exactly will this exposing do anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

Was he though? Was he not right! What about some our own academics here! What have had some prize tulips throughout this! Not using antigen testing earlier was and will always be bullsh*t to me in our overly conservative response and unforgiveable in that the cost we are all going to pay for the Covid response in this country! They tools of themselves here too with their carryon over it!

Being right is not always the best look. He persistently butted into things in a condescending often aggressive manner, when silence was really the right call. My comments apply to quite a lot of academics, Irish or otherwise. Definitely not their proudest media moments collectively.

Exactly! We are billions in debt due to our response to this. We have record levels of inflation that the government are already changing from short term to medium term. The housing crisis is worse than ever due to being the only country to close construction for months in 2021.

Those of us with 2 functioning eyes could see that we were being lied to again and again by extremely wealthy people who got caught up in the hysteria and responded poorly again and again.

We need to ensure that some of our Draconian views on things can never happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

This is more than a little odd to me, but can allow you’re entitled to your opinion.

For me it sits complete wrong that authorities would deliberately minimise and obfuscate the first-hand observation and evidence of a group of eminent scientists, in order to maintain a desirable level of fear/worry.

I can’t accept that the fact that the population may make autonomous decisions with truthful information provided, (regardless of how those decisions align with public health advice), is any reason to mar the truth in the information dispensed. This is not the way.

Also in relation to this; - but in many countries antigen did not get bad press initially. They were identified for a purpose and deployed for that purpose, alongside PCR.

Still find it absolutely bizarre that a nation of 5 million people can have experts that disagreed so stringently on ‘science’ with their European counterparts, representing close to 450 million people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Also: Rather than saying Omicron "is milder", the politicians would probably have liked to buy themselves a bit of credit by saying "the vaccine appears to be more effective against this strain as hospitilisations are lower, see!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Hospital numbers have flatlined! 594 in hospitals tonight only a decrease of 1 from 8am

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

😆😆😆

She’s totally against what the UK did. Forever restrictions is her fantasy.

• Advertisement

She’s not okay at all! Never has been. It’s pessimism central with her and Independent Sage

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Croohur1

Could I ask what in particular about the points she raised do you have the problem with? I don't know anything about this lady, but the points she raised in that thread all seem self evident or sensible.

For me it sits complete wrong that authorities would deliberately minimise and obfuscate the first-hand observation and evidence of a group of eminent scientists, in order to maintain a desirable level of fear/worry.

This sounds more like you're trying to make data suit your own view of things. It was right to be cautious about it until we saw that Omicron behaved in exactly the same way in a European winter. The huge surge in cases took that all that autonomous decision making right off the table.

At public level some of the approaches have been extreme, perhaps unnecessary in places but they are looking at a lot more than one individual. As a variant it still had an impact on health systems and the general thinking that it was just a cold for everyone was what they were concerned about because of the sheer numbers of cases.

No the data was unequivocal that Omicron is mild. If by ‘how it behaved in a European winter’ you mean what effect it would have on healthcare systems then fair enough.

But that’s just a spin on what actually happened - Omicron was studied and evidence shared, and that evidence on Omicron virulence was deliberately and publicly maligned for political manipulation.

Have you read anymore of here tweets? She’s not balanced at all! herself and Deepti are worse then our lot here!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Croohur1

No, I havent, as I said, I dont know anything about this woman. I was just genuinely a bit confused about what issue you had with any of the points she laid out. They seem quite sensible ideas, she specifically says we cant go back to lockdowns etc. She wants more funding for the NHS, better masks ONLY if there is a serious threat, better air quality in buildings, better, more variant specific vaccines, invest in reducing inequalities that lead to certain sections of the population more susceptible to infection and death.

Anyway, was just curious🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Question for anyone who's had COVID, have you had COVID but antigen tests came back negative?

Im in bits but my antigen tests are negative, so im convincing myself its a bad head cold. But thats what people claimed COVID feels like.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Steveimitation

I've tested positive today but had symptoms the past few days. Took tests on Wednesday and Thursday that were negative but third time was a charm today unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Her mantra is that we shouldn’t have any normality again. She wanted the UK to go back into lockdown at xmas, she was quite upset when the UK lifted restrictions, are you not happy about that either? She thinks pre 2020 will never return. However most people have their normality returned already, i can do most of the things i did in 2019.

She is either deluded and thinks that we can win the battle with Omicron and a good auld lockdown will get rid of it. Not a hope it’s too transmissable or she’s happy enough to lockdown and restrict society indefinately.

The above is not viable at this stage. Our best bet at this stage is to build up natural immunity alongside vaccination. It’s our best defence at this stage.Lifting most restrictions was the best call imo so more people can gain immunity and Omicron eventually becomes like most viruses in the background.

Some people have really lost the plot though. I was talking to a lady who runs a very popular wealthy business. She says to me “ oh i loved the lockdown, it was great! I’d do another one in the morning”. Jesus Christ!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

You covered it there, it's a headcold, does it matter any more if its a covid headcold or a different one, take measures to minimise exposing others and carry on.

Advertisement