Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sock-Puppetting and the Current Affairs Forum

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If you have evidence of sock-puppeting then present it to the mods. that is the process. i'm not sure what speculating achieves apart from making SF supporters feel better when they say "It isn't just us". Or maybe SF supporters are not smart enough to get away with it. I admit I do enjoy the irony of discussing this with a relatively new account.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Sorry, B, I thought someone would have told you. I’m not going to try “searching” for the posts talking about it.

From what I gather it was very sudden. Nothing drawn out. There were some jokes about him “doing an Elvis”, which I’d say he would have liked.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Yeah, it’s been a bit blatant, and obvious, since the “sock puppets” have been removed.

New, and dormant, accounts springing up spouting the same, populist, pro-SF drivel. Best just to not “engage” and do your best to ignore them.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Astartes

Oh ok so all sympathetic SF posters are sock puppets.. I suppose it's comforting delusion to cling to until polling day lol

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

You need to review your logic - All sock-puppets thus far have been pro-SF, no one is suggesting that the inverse is true.

I do cast a jaundiced eye at clearly pro-SF posters who come to this thread to warn about potential, but unevidenced, pro-gov sock-puppetting while in no way acknowledging the above fact. Is this not a rational thought processes? do you disagree with it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod: In case you missed it, @Beasty advised on 14/02 to report any such accounts to him or @Mickeroo or @Neyite or any other active admin.

This discussion seems to be going around in circles, and the main issue has been identified and dealt with. There's some substance in forming a breakout discussion with suggestions on how such behaviour could be detected and reported effectively while mod tools are still in development. I'll leave that up to yourselves but bear in mind this thread is lurching towards being closed.

-Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That's very sad, didn't know him outside of boards, but he had a great sense of humour on it.

To be honest, S, this issue can’t just be “swept under the rug”. As the user @blackwhite said above, the Big 10 pro-SF sock puppeteer was found through Beasty’s hard work. The “mod tools” aren’t much use, it would seem.

I could report, and have, users in this very thread who are remarkably similar to that McMurphy user. It’s like they aren’t even trying to hide it because, more than likely, they feel like they don’t have to.

The point needs to be driven home that all new, and, recently dormant, accounts who jump straight into threads pushing a pro-SF “agenda” should be viewed with nothing but suspicion and incredulity. Users should be encouraged to avoid engaging with them.

I have to agree that it's going to be a big ask from mods, after years of having to put up with SF sock puppets all over the place but never allowed to mention the SF sock puppets all over the place, after SF sock puppets have indeed been found all over the place, to please let's not act like SF sock puppets have been all over the place and likely are back already

will the mods give due weight to this event in future modding or will mods just try to continue as if this was an "all sides" issue?

yes, there's loads of SF voters and anti-govt posters on boards, course there are (it's not a very good govt) but I don't believe a genuine poster can read this thread and still be asking innocently stupid questions like "oh why isn't it both sides?" after its been clear from the start and answered several times.

this type of obvious coordinated rubbish deflection will rightly be considered deeply sus from now on (in fact it always was, we just were told time and again by mods to shush up)

• Advertisement

Thats the nub of it

Politics threads on boards are currently a farce regardless of what side of the fence you're on since what was obvious to most of us was exposed and long before

Short of having a vetted application process to take part which would be impossible and pointless, there is no cure

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

It's really woke von abominable that you would think that!

Closing an account and opening a new one is not against the rules. I've been here years, my first account got to 13.5k posts and since then I've gone through at least 10. I've never had two accounts at once or had a ban. I close my account at least every year, I usually close my account to give myself a full detox from the place for a few weeks. This has actually become more normal because others do the same, as this site transitions away from a very friendly community it was years ago to what it is today with posters who have no real affiliation to the place

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You could have something there .

As another poster said ‘For Reals’ a former mod rings a bell , who I never in a million years expected to be made a Mod.

Alf Stewart, Banjo String, Baggy Trousers, were prominent around the Water Protests events.

Id be very surprised if one of them had not some link with McMurphy.

‘Hoist with his own petard’ is how I would describe Francie.

Instead of putting the hand up honestly, he tries to drag you down every rabbit hole possible.

victory for honesty and good modding.

We can sleep more easily in our cots now.

I seriously doubt any political party would pay someone to post on Boards.ie.

Has anyone ever wondered why Boards almost never gets mentioned in the Irish media? The same media that literally feeds off any other social platform? It's because this place is utterly irrelevant for any rational discourse. Just look at the childish delusional content of this thread for confirmation of that. Someone said there's a whiff of cordite about this place, I'd say it's more the whiff of a nursing home.

The Irish media, radio, TV, online and print, will jump on anything possible to fill their vacuous airtime but they won't touch Boards with a barge pole. What does that tell you?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts deleted. Never openly claim posters are re-regs, be that of banned accounts or simply people who have decided to make a fresh start with a new account. Report suspicions, but do not post them openly on the site. I am sure none of you would like such accusations thrown about concerning your own changes of account (whether actual or imagined). Posters are entitled to make a complete break from an old account without having to state they have done so.

This thread has veered away from its original topic and I'm closing it. Posters have had plenty of opportunity to discuss the issue

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement