Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

So, some brief thoughts after re-watching the first game:

McCormick - looks like he has a great lineout throw and carries well enough. He's not as dynamic as Tom Stewart or as good a tackler, but he's a bit bigger and moves really well.

Wilson - he's not the biggest for a tighthead, but he locked out the scrum really well against a much larger pack. Need to see him against another team because the welsh just didn't have power behind their size tbh. Looks quite mobile and can hit a good line. Still another year at this level which is great.

Crothers - I can see why he gets a lot of credit from coaches, he's a typical workhorse. I'm still unsure about him as a prospect because of size concerns and he doesn't really have a standout skillset or something that sets him apart from other players in the senior squad. Got knocked back in the tackle a few times as well. This write up comes across as overly negative but he actually had an impressive outing - he was involved in everything.

McNabney - didn't really standout tbh. He looks a big lad but didn't really use it much this game, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the main backrower that will be rotated. Still a year young so plenty of time.

Hanlon and McNamee didn't get much of an opportunity, trying to form an opinion wouldn't really be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I know this is nothing new but catching up on the highlights and the wheels on Balacoune, my god.

https://youtu.be/RRXZJxTR0CM?t=144

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

The stuff about Crothers is a similar narrative to the one that used to be bandied about as regards VdF, so I'll wait and see on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Crothers would have to follow the JVDF blueprint as a 7. Big ask.

True, but he could get most of the way there and be a valuable player for Ulster. Crothers might not end up the same quality of player, but he could well be a similar style of player.

• Advertisement

Will Addison posting on Instgram - running up steps at Ravenhill, Rocky music and "Comeback number 1025 pending… "

The sense of humour is probably what makes him able to deal with the constant rollercoaster of injuries.

David O'Connor away on loan to Ealing. Presume with returns from Murphy and Izzy on the horizon, he knows his days are numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Good luck to him, but top end Championship, maybe even lower end Premiership squad spot would be a pretty decent return for him.

I was reading on PR forum about the players that may be leaving Leinster at the end of the season.

Three names stuck out to me, Max Deegan, Dan Leavy and Ross Byrne.

Personally I'd be really surprised if Leinster let Leavy go. They also seem fond if Ross Byrne, but I can see Deegan moving on. He is a player that I think Ulster should be looking at. He's what 25 pushing 26 so has many years left. I think he'd be a really good addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭launish116

Was reading that on UAFC also, surely Leinster don't have the depth with injuries/international call up to let both Deegan/Leavy go? Murphy already gone and Connors not having any lucks with his knees.

Deegan would be the natural fit surely.

Yeah I'd be surprised if they all went or any of them, but I'd take either Deegan or Leavy. Leavy at his best is incredible. But maybe Leinster aren't convinced about his long term prospects. It would be ironic if he joined us given how he got his injury.

• Advertisement

McCormick was very good - great carries, excellent lineout.

Crothers was even better than last week. I can see why people think he'll carve out a career with us, he was industrious tonight.

McNabney was much improved this time round, had a fairly poor opening 10 minutes but really grew into the game. He's not exceptionally powerful so he got driven back a couple times by some strong french defenders - but he's a big lump for an u19 and had a few carries which made me take notice.

McCormick impressed me, ironically Ulster could probably do with him at the moment given all the injuries. Unlike many I wasn't sold on Declan Moore last week, he did some good things to be fair, and it sounds like Herring is out for a few weeks and I assume Stewart is injured.

Thought Declan Moore did well enough for where he is in the pecking order. Would prefer to see his minutes next year go to Stewart if he can stay fit.

To be fair couldn't of been easy for Moore to come in and play like that, limited match fitness and time with squad. Wasn't he sent back to Munster in the middle of it all? Thought he added added a level of physicality we have lacked. If he can sort his throwing/lineout he could be very handy going forward. I'd be worried if I was Andrew especially with Stewart/McCormick potentially looking game time next season. Really not a bad position to be in going forward.

Getting slightly optimistic about our pack, might actually start to fall in place next season. Some reasonable depth/competition forming.

Ethan McIlroy sustained an ankle injury in the recent URC win against Connacht. He joins Rob Herring (calf), John Cooney (calf), Luke Marshall (knee), Will Addison (lower leg), and Jacob Stockdale (ankle) on the list of injured players currently unavailable for selection.

Cormac Izuchukwu (knee), Jordi Murphy (knee), Tom Stewart (toe), Matty Rea (hamstring), and Stewart Moore (knee) have all resumed full team training following their respective injuries, and are available for team selection.

With Gilroy's ban, we're very stretched in the back three.. Can Lyttle play FB?

Would like to see Izzy back.

Scratch that - all Ulster players bar Henderson and Herring allowed back to Ulster.

Pretty sure Lyttle could do at 15.

McIlroy wasn't right from about the 15th minute of that match. No idea why they didn't take him off because he was a liability with his injury. Hope they didn't make it worse.

With Moore and McCloskey both available maybe Curtis could play in the back three somewhere.

So Doak, Burns, Moxham, McCloskey, Moore, Lyttle, Curtis.

Something like that...feck knows....maybe Lowry and Baloucoune will be available, or they try Sexton at 15.

Well, we've almost everyone back.

I'd let Baloucoune and Lowry start in the backs but in the forwards, I'd like to see McCann get a full game. Maybe Stewart as well.

We want five points if possible, but we also need young forwards to start getting game time.

Some reinforcements in the forwards, quite a few players needing game time now. Bit of rotation/rest for Timoeny & Vermuelen.

Be interesting to see if Kearney is let go now that Izuchukwu is back.

Crazy to think our pack has better depth than our backs currently.

• Advertisement

If everyone is back then I'm sure Lowry will play 15.

Something like:

1)    O’Sullivan

2)    Stewart

3)    Moore

4)    O’Connor

5)    Treadwell

6)    Rea Jr

7)    Murphy

8)    McCann

9)    Doak

10) Burns

11) Lyttle

12) McCloskey

13) Moore

14) Baloucoune

15) Lowry

16) McGrath

17) Andrew

18) O’Toole

19) Izuchukwu

20) Jones

21) Shanahan

22) Curtis

23) Moxham

Stockdale posted a video on instagram of him walking with crutches four weeks after his operation. Looks like a tough rehab ahead for him - hopefully he comes back strong, Lowry is the only player I can think of that can produce a fraction of his magic and excitement with ball in hand.

As long as he is played on the wing!

He's kind of the forgotten man of Irish rugby never mind Ulster rugby.

A back three of Stockdale, Baloucoune and Lowry is very exciting on paper.

I like Burns, I think he often serves Ulster well and think he is unfairly derided by some, normally from outside Ulster, but we really are a top international 10 away from having an outstanding backline.

9 Doak/Cooney 10 ???? 11 Stockdale 12 McCloskey 13 Hume 14 Baloucoune 15 Lowry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The quality of Ulster forwards with the u20's is encouraging. Quick! Pack em off to Leinster! God forbid Ulster produce their own forwards! Lol

Crothers is a real work horse, just seemed to be involved in everything! If he can gain some weight and maintain the workrate he could be a very good open-side.

Very good to see some promising forwards on the horizon!

Ulster team to play Dragons, United Rugby Championship Round 12, Sunday 20 February at Rodney Parade, 2pm kick-off, live on Premier Sports:

(15-9) Rob Lyttle, Robert Baloucoune, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Ben Moxham, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, John Andrew, Tom O’Toole, Kieran Treadwell, Sam Carter, David McCann, Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney (Capt.). 

Replacements: Brad Roberts, Eric O’Sullivan, Marty Moore, Cormac Izuchukwu, Matty Rea, David Shanahan, Ian Madigan, Stewart Moore.  

Very good to see Izzy back!

Firs time both McCann & Rea jnr start together?

Dragons: Josh Lewis, Jonah Holmes, Adam Warren, Aneurin Owen, Rio Dyer, Sam Davies, Gonzalo Bertranou; Greg Bateman, Taylor Davies, Chris Coleman, Joe Davies, Joe Maksymiw, Harri Keddie (c), Ollie Griffiths, Dan Baker

Replacements: TBC, Aki Seiuli, Mesake Doge, Huw Taylor, George Young, Rhodri Williams, Ioan Davies, Will Talbot-Davies

No international players released - No Basham, Wainwright, Moriarty.

I like the Ulster side. I do want to see Stewart given a proper run at some point soon, but McCann and Izzy there instead of Murphy and Kearney is good to see. Don't know if I've seen McCann at six before?

Any Ulster side without Michael Lowry is frankly disappointing to see.

Hopefully he isn't injured.

Perhaps he is in line for a start against Italy.

• Advertisement

Do like the balance in that back row, still think McCann is suited to 6. Ollie Griffiths is truly under rated and will give them a right battle.

Advertisement