Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

It depends on what area of commercial property you are looking at.

residential property is playing a a bigger part In commercial property but we have already discussed this.

The warehousing and industrial estates are in high demand and seeing growth as businesses hold more stock following Brexit and supply chain issues.

Office space is still in demand and I think there will be a lot of churn as companies consolidate offices spaces on the back of hybrid working resulting in more availability of smaller office space.

Retail space have an uphill battle as they had before covid but overall commercial property seems in demand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Seeing lots of comments on foreign exchange pages about people cancelling flights with just a few days to go because the housing situation is so desperate. Even the foreigners are asking what's stopping the Irish government from building houses.

It's a disgrace that investment funds now run the housing market. A shameful thing Fine Fail, Fine Gael, Greens and Labour have done to this country.

They empty units should be thrashed. Run the funds out of the country. Make it uninvestable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

word is already out that ecb are looking at 2 interest rate rises later in the year - the proverbial s#!¥3 will hit the fan here once debt repayments rise on top of the current inflation spiral

Yes 2 rate rises of 0.1% and has already been priced into market and the proverbial did nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

10y is already near 1%. Governments don’t fund themselves on floating 3m rates. Inflation will keep pushing until rates are at 4% and the entire “needs based welfare state” is history. High commodity prices need demand destruction not just higher rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

The fact that it ha done nothing probably mean its not enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The IT and Indo starting to drum up the herd to feed the inflation beast with clickbait articles on interest rate rises. I've seen several articles now almost stating the ECB will raise rates soon and what that means. Inflation expectations are going to continue to increase with this talk of rate rises being needed to calm the whole thing; people will believe that the price of everything is going to keep going up until rates rise which of course will convert into a reality where inflation continues and the herd feels that rate rises are necessary. Hysteria and fear are probably the appropriate follow on reactions to a sustained period of irrational exuberance.

Here's two articles from today feeding the narrative that the cost of everything will keep going up and interest rate rises will be necessary.

Irish 10 year is 0.845% and that is after pricing in the expected rate rises and news from the US today. It has been trading at about 50bps for the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

The only way irelands bonds will fall is when big tech falls.

I assume you are talking about bond prices and not yields as prices move inversely to yield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Yes not sure how I would be talking about yield falling now? Also why do you think irelands risk of default is so low now...

Because the market believes that it is low and as a result the yield is more similar yield to France, Belgium and not priced like the following EU countries:

• Greece 2.564%
    • Italy 1.9178%
    • Spain 1.174%
    • Portugal 1.116%

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Two interest rates hikes would be 0.5-0.75%. it's quite possible we will have three this year. Maybe 1%. On a 300k--25 year mortgage that is 100/month. However rates are fixed for 3-5+years by 90% of borrowers. Anybody with 10+years paid will have a chunk paid off so you are down to 60-70/month.

Most mortgages have dropped by 1-2% over the last 3-5 years as competition from the likes of Advant money forced them down.

It will effect discressionary spending more, the loan for a honeymoon, wedding, special holiday ( family trip to Disney), car loans and house extensions. This is where it is supposed to dampen inflation.

The better half pays the ESB bill. She is running around making sure we turn off lights etc.

Slava Ukrainii

Those rates are very low for the risk they carry. Its not so long ago that Ireland was in the same bracket as those countries and since then our national debt has ballooned. As they say its not till the tide goes out that all is exposed

The market is phoney because of QE. The central banks have become the new Bear Stearns

Renters have been seing increasing costs of this level for a decade on lower incomes, yet not a peep out of government. Really is quiet stark how different sections of society are treated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Don't you know, renting is for poor people and students - grown ups should buy houses..

Seriously though, you would wonder whose interest the govt are acting in, by propping up these absurd rents and simultaneously driving small landlords out of the market. REITs do not vote, do not pay tax on rent received, where is the benefit in catering to them? Politically? Financially?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

In Wexford you can rent a former classroom for 275 blips a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

As grim as it may seem on first reaction, I'm not sure for the price it's that bad if that picture is anything to go by. Just replace the furniture and it wouldn't be a bad space and it is smack bang in the middle of town. If there was a proper lock on the door, secured post boxes and decent security around the place, it would for sure have a market. Obviously I would still imagine there's shared bathrooms, no wired internet to the room, but would be grand enough.

Snapped up fairly quick. Gone from Daft

I have snapped it up, as an evil LL, I will sublet it, I will get 30 Asians in it at 30 euro a head a week. That is 3900/ month. They pay cash as well. I am on DD at present buying up bunkbeds. It's a pity you cannot get 3 story bunkbeds as I would get 45 in there. However I will get a few with double beds at the bottom. Couple's will takes these at 50/ couple. That will take me over the 4k/ month.

Recruiting a few heavies at present for a bit of crowd control. The Viper wants 250/ week to be there on rent collection day for 2 hours. He is a bit dear at that. These are costs you come accross in business. Getting 6-8 buckets, 4 blue barrels for water and a few sheets to extent sanitary faculities.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

The way we are going an Asian has probably snapped it up and is looking for 30 Bass Reeves to fill it. Closely matches our child class ratio also so all perfectly above board

Just out of interest, where are you getting figures on those on fixed rates. A person could be on a 5year fixed rate but that could be ending in six months. Is the date of expiration of the fixed rate visible in the data.

They are in effect adjustable rate mortgages which crashed the system last time out. I know there were other factors at play but there are different negative factors at play now

You have data on the central bank website but if you look at the banks financial statements it gives a better breakdown including a maturity profile. Yes there will be people impacted by a rate rise such as people on trackers but they will have a low LTV at this stage. And the majority of new mortgages are all fixed and these are the ones that would be at risk of default as rates rise as will have higher LTV.

The other thing that is worth looking at is the LTV of the overall mortgage books that is circa 50% which is substantially lower than in ‘08

It was the spread between base rate and 3 month Libor that caused the issues in ‘08. Basically the libor rate increase when the base rate didn’t because inter bank lending froze. This has all been replaced as the unsecured interbank has more or less disappeared since central banks moved away from an interest rate corridor and any lending between banks is done via repos which means collateral is backing up the lending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Considering this list is not counting Hines, Roundhill Capital, Avestus or other smaller players and is using just publicly available data, can it really be argued funds don't have a fairly strong foothold on the Dublin market, especially when the countless BTR developments nearly complete are added.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭yaknowski

Viewed gaf in Templeogue today.

On way into viewing estate agent: "It's at 540k".

On way out of viewing: "It's at 550k"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

Things looking up for banks here - mortgage holders not so much...

Irish banks among winners from ‘expected 1.5%’ ECB rate hikes, Deutsche Bank says

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/irish-banks-among-winners-from-expected-1-5-ecb-rate-hikes-deutsche-bank-says-1.4799892

So rates expected to increase by 1.5% over 3 years bringing the ECB rate to 1%.

I don’t see rates getting to this as see the economy cooling before the ECB rates to 0.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

This is less than 2% of the housing stock. Totally irrelevant vs the media attention.

There is more net migration in a single year than that (assuming average 2 person occupancy)

• Advertisement

The stock is almost entirely in Dublin and amongst the most expensive available. They would be unaffordable for the vast majority of Dublin workers. They in turn are pushed out to the regions with poor stock levels driving up the prices with Dublin salaries

Far from being irrelevant, they define the market

Advertisement