Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I've a problem with the young lads in 170bhp diesels thinking they are fast. Had the Glanza out Monday, just driving along at 70kph and a young lad in an A4 stuck to my bumper for ages. I dropped to third and took off poor fella tried to catch me but all he was doing was making black smoke and going nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭passatman86

"Car enthusiasts are just glorified boy racers"

Ha ha your previous comment aged well after filling us in with your GALANZA outing

Remember the old done deal adds. "no swaps for glanzas"... How times change all the lads reaching mid 30's wouldn't mind one now

Only having a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Decent price75

OTW

I've had mine since I was 17 so have it 11 years now. I absolutely love the thing, it's on engine number 3 since I've owned it and its had years of being abused but now it's getting a restoration now. The 4efte engine will take 230bhp without doing internals in a car weighing 920kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Thanks for that detailed reply. The location should not matter. Its just a lack of consideration for your neighbours poor or posh.

As I say I am not anti car enthusiast. Do what you want with your own money and property but it shouldn't impact negatively on other people. And that noise is invasive.

One other trend I dont understand is the yellow registrations on the back of Irish registered vehicles. And sometimes no front registration. Surely you are only asking for AGS to pull you over with that kind of thing?

Their car, their business. Just seems an unwise choice. Is there a particular reason that its becoming more popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The yellow plates stems from Donegal, a lot of the guys that are into cars up that end started using yellow plates because generally, they have more common heritage with Derry than Dublin. Cultural fashion.

The front plates is different. It has spread to the point of nonsense but if you look at a lot of sports cars, many will not have a space on the front bumper for a plate. They are designed for a part of the world that doesn't require front plates and as such, requires drilling holes in places that were never meant to have holes. The standard used to be putting the front plate on the dash board (days before passenger airbags) which would do most AGS fine, they are more strict now though.

It is law to have your plate visible on the front of the vehicle in an upright/vertical position. No getting around that, needs to be there.

Saying that, I've had cars without and my solution was to carry cable ties in the event of being told to stick it on and just cut them off once I was out of the car again. Looked terrible on my RX8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

If your near Dublin, Meath or Louth I'd suggest trying Sean McManus in Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Now that you say that, I remember being in Florida and noticing very few cars had front registrations on the bumpers.

Would it not interfere with toll cameras? Or speed cameras? The registration on the dash in the front window could be distorted etc?

I would have thought the nationalists in Derry would be more likely to change their rear car reg to white to display their Irishness etc

Maybe the PSNI wouldnt tolerate that kind of thing in the same way as down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

They've gotten to the same point as "white" DC2's.

They used to be everywhere, now if you see one you actually stop and think "Jaysus, that's rare enough these days"

Nice welcome change from Audi's with 2 coils left in the springs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I went to the Galway international Rally over the weekend. Saw the cars at service and went to a couple of stages the weather wasn’t the best but I really enjoyed it. Something very nice about watching rally cars tearing through country roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I went the Saturday myself. Decent field of cars. Not a single Subaru though which was a first for any rally I've ever attended.

A mighty shame that Kevin Eves and Chris Melly in the ae86 corolla crashed out. He was on a serious pace considering the very challenging conditions.

Road closures were very poorly signposted coming from the Ballinasloe side not sure if things were better coming from Loughrea.

Thankfully we managed to get some good viewing 3/4 of the way up a straight just after a slight left hander. Cars passing at the top of 6th and hard on the brakes 20yds after us for a shicane and tight right hairpin more than made up for the p1ssing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Out of curiosity what thread depth would people change tyres at typically ? Would you change at 3.0mm or let them go lower ? Thinking in general I’d change them once they are down to 3.0mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Quick rant.

How to get over insurance random number generator? The same numbers but different ip/connection give vastly different results, from as low as 400 to over 1000.

My luck that can't get the 400 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Go incognito in chrome. That is if you actually did get €400 quote. When was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Was looking at AXA site today, was checking one car which I think I'll end up buying. First try I got 406€, was surprised as my last contract with them on younger car, 2013 vs 2008 was over 800€. Did put second car, same brand but few miles less on the clock and got 560€.

And from that point I'm getting completely different numbers.

Got home, on pc on first try it shoot up to 789€.

Really like Wtf....

3mm or as soon as I'm not happy with performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Once those steel tread wear indicators are showing.

• Advertisement

I fit new tyres, forget about them for 2 years until I bother checking them then give out I've to buy new tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Exactly my strategy. But new tyres, ignore for several years, not so much as checking pressures. Buy more tyres when i realise they are long fooked when washing the car one day.

Does no one else check tyre pressure once a week or am I a freak?

I check absolutely nothing on my car unless I get a light or message on the dash for something then depending what it is I might ignore it

That makes me shudder.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How often do you find a tyre that needs pumping, say you check 200 tyres a year on your car?

Yeah, i honestly cant ever remember checking my tyre pressure ever.

Obsessively maintaining things is over rated.

I wouldn't knowingly drive a POS, i service on thr button but not before it and if the car needs something it'll get it but i also use everything right up.

None of this oil changes every 5000kms or other OCD appeasing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

once a month, as should everyone - shocked to read some here ignore it

TPMS have been mandatory on all cars sold in Europe for almost a decade and were popular even before being mandatory. If the tyres are low, the car will let you know, in the case of most cars from the mid 00's onwards. No need to be manually checking them the whole time.

• Advertisement

Needs is probably a grey area but I get really anal about my tyre and alignment. I'll usually just have to ad a couple of PSI on each once a month but it also helps to know I don't have any slow punctures in between.

No TPMS on a 2007 Suzuki so I can see why it might seem excessive for those with the luxury.

To be fair, I can usually feel a drop before I check it. Constantly analysing cars while I drive them is just a hang up from being in the garage I guess.

Advertisement