Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

"Yeah, WFH, that's over now at least until June, get back into the office five days a week until then"? Can't understand how staff (including management grades!) aren't up in arms over that! Can't understand how Fórsa aren't up in arms over it, either!

It makes no sense. Especially when more sensible departments/offices are going the opposite way and saying "Continue to work from home until we have a blended working scheme up and running."

Can we get a list of the no-WFH departments/offices?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The Secretary General in my Department, and the senior management team, were in the office for the majority of the pandemic while most of the Department worked remotely. A message was sent to staff about returning to the office and blended working on the day the Taoiseach addressed the nation to announce more restrictions, I think a number of them can't wait to go back to 'normal'.

Feedback coming through Management Board at the moment is apparently that the Sec Gen wants to start seeing people back in the office, as of next week, building up to three days in March. Remote working is not on offer, maximum of two days at home in a blended arrangement. Will be interesting if people start lumping in requests to work remotely.

Haven't seen any policies about how to return safely, it's a case of go back in and it'll be grand. Working in an area with no windows and poor ventilation, going in the odd day when few people were there was one thing but a more comprehensive return will be a different story.

Tried to initiative constructive discussion about how to ensure we'll use our days physically in the office to best possible effect, otherwise people will start asking why they're coming in. My manager tried to shut that discussion down quickly to indicate that we were required to be there and that was it, the response to which was that staff will start exploring their options if that type of rigid mindset is adopted.

Disappointed, but not surprised, that we've ended up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Gusser09

But what does any of that have to do with your employer though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

There are genuine costs in returning to the office. I have a 40min commute (no public transport available). I've been saving about €50 a week in fuel by working from home but that has long since been eaten up by increasing costs elsewhere thanks to the huge inflation we've seen.

Where am I going to get the extra €50 a week to pay for fuel? I can't take it from rent or bills. I'm going to be a lot poorer than I was pre Covid and so is everyone who has to commute.

That's not even getting into the mental health benefits of working from home or the drastically improved work/life balance.

We're starting to see that some employers/departments care and some just don't care.

Fórsa as useless as ever.

I understand that people don't want to connect their username with their department when sharing their departments policies. Is there anywhere we could compile this information anonymously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As I think I posted already, the longer it takes to introduce a hybrid policy, the more watered down that policy will be. The dinosaurs already have their feet wedged in the door (the door that Covid was keeping closed) with the "max 2 days remote" stuff. They will resent allowing any WFH and if people are working 2 days at home, 3 in the office, they will be on a mission looking for evidence of "underperformance" related to WFH. They may have to get creative but will manage it given enough effort.

The unions should be eviscerated over this but they won't be - people will continue to pay their sub "just in case" and will grumble about being told to get back to the office but that's all most will do.

Some top performers and those with other options will leave. The pool of people willing to take up positions in PS organisations will possibly shrink to those who live near to the office and mediocre performers. Hopefully people are copping on that the PS isn't the land of milk and honey and that the pension for new entrants is far from being a "gilt edged gold plated Rolls Royce" pension as per the gutter press.

We've seen what happened in the HSE with hundreds of unfilled positions, especially in rural locations (e.g. Kerry mental health services consultant position) The problem here is, as usual, the people in power and making decisions are not those affected by this.

I've made this Google Forms survey. It's anonymous, and doesn't look for an email address. I'll share the results here. Link: https://forms.gle/BFKSKmzNAfhfH1aq9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

DSP arranged a party to welcome staff back to office at end of month telling sections to meet up together. Were told it is cancelled today.

Jebus... 🙄 Why can I never find the facepalm smiley?!

I mean, I know the vast majority of restrictions have been lifted, but talk about tone deaf!

26 responses covering 15 different organisations so far, including 9 departments. I'll post the results tomorrow evening, see if we get more in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭billyhead

So cringe. Whats there to celebrate being dragged back to the office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

In fairness there is alot of people that miss the social aspect of going to work. I know of colleagues who used to go on their tea break together and actually used to holiday as a group together also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I should add that it I agree it is cringe to have a party to celebrate being back in the office tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭xeresod

That'll be expensive, your NCB will have expired as they're only valid for 2 years from the last policy date!

Post edited by xeresod on

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Office123

Hi everyone,

Despite covering for several absent colleagues over the last while and my absent boss this week, I have been told I need to “buck up” and should have returned to the office one day this week. My reputation and overall career is on the line.

I do not have accommodation in Dublin, as I’m based down the country and can’t drive. It would be a 3 hour bus journey so I’d need accommodation one night a week to make it in in the morning.

They have not even stated a set day. Making planning very hard. It could vary week to week and depends on boss’ schedule so hard to book anything. Does anyone have a spare room or couch please? I will not be mixing with many people as my folks have underlying conditions and recent surgery so I will just stay in my room that night and watch Netflix. If you hear of anything please send me a private message thanks.

PS It seems the Union is doing absolutely nothing and the support service doesn’t understand my individual predicament.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

The savings on stress and time are the biggest of all

I'll close this at 19:00. Nearly 70 responses. Plenty of replies from Revenue and at least one from each of the following departments:

DAFM, DECC, Defence, Education, DFA, Health, Housing, Justice, DSP, DTCAGSM, Finance, DETE, DFA, DFHERIS, DPER, DSP.

Could do with a wider spread of offices/agencies. Link: https://forms.gle/BFKSKmzNAfhfH1aq9

74 responses in total.

46 from these Departments: DAFM, DECC, Defence, Education, DFA, Health, Housing, Justice, DSP, DTCAGSM, Finance, DETE, DFA, DFHERIS, DPER, DSP.

The rest came from agencies/offices/other: AGS (I'm presuming civilian), CSO, CSSO, NSSO, OPW, OSI, Prisons, Revenue, and the WRC. Two from local authorities but it wasn't specified which ones.

Where multiple replies came from the same department/office, generally they had the more or less the same responses, with a few discrepancies (outlined below).

Filled-in answers included:

• Been in the office for 3 days and WFH for 2 since the March 2020 & that's the plan indefinitely regardless of whatever the official policy may end up being
    • No clarity - there's a vague notion that this is to be decided by local arrangement but that managers can generally offer their staff flexibility until there's a formal WFH policy agreed by DPER. Staff can return to full time working in the office should they wish. Long-term no staff can work remotely 100% of the time but blended working will be available for the majority of roles. Some staff are being told to come in to the office full time, some are to come in one day a week, some in two days a week and some haven't been told to come in at all yet. If staff transfer internally or are promoted internally they have to figure out their working arrangements with their new manager regardless of what was agreed in their previous role. Waiting for DPER to formalise WFH policy before developing DFIN policy. Flexitime still suspended for all staff, regardless of whether they are working in the office or remotely.
    • Initially 2 days increasing to 3 in mid March with intention for full return which must occur before a blended policy is in place. (local authority)
    • Must come in full time until there's a formal WFH policy (local authority)

The answers here point to poor communication internally within organisations. Where there were multiple responses from people working for the same employer, there were often different answers. E.g.:

• DAFM (6), people saying they have to come in 1 day a week; or 2 to 4 days a week until there's a policy; both categories saying it's a blanket policy.
    • DECC (5), all agreed, 'continue on as before'
    • Defence (1), 1 day a week
    • Education (8), blanket policy, 1 day a week in the office, one person on 2-4 days/week
    • Finance (1), see comment above
    • DETE (4), 1 day a week, all agreed
    • DFA (2), 1 day a week, all agreed
    • Higher Ed (2), 1 day a week, 2-4 days a week, blanket policy
    • DPER (1), 1 day a week, blanket policy
    • DSP (8); a mixture! continue as before (4), 1 day a week (3), 2-4 days a week (1), with two saying it was a blanket policy, the rest saying it depended on unit
    • Tourism (1): 1 day/week, blanket
    • Revenue (13): 12 'continue as we are', 1 in 1 day a week and increasing soon, 1 in 2-4 days/week; most saying blanket policy, 2 saying it's dependent on division.

This one on COVID measures being introduced or already in place had the most discrepancies between people from the same organisation. 42% saying no special measures are in place at all. Where there are measures, "wear a mask when circulating" is by far the most common. The write-in 'other' responses included:

• This varies depending on the building the staff are working in. Wearing of masks recommended when moving around buildings but not enforced. No social distancing required.
    • social distance gone, no masks except in public parts of building
    • Face masks, distancing etc. are recommended (not "must", as far as I know)
    • Must wear a mask when circulating, Must maintain social distancing/2 metres, Masks & social distancing as ticked above are not enforced and lots don't bother

Air quality monitors (they cost €50 to €80 retail) and HEPA filters (from €170 retail) are mentioned as being introduced by the CSO, DJustice, DETE, and nobody else.

And last one:

42% of us still don't know what employers' plans are (100% of employers don't know what their plans are?! 🤔 ) There is a lot of confusion here. Where there were multiple answers from people with the same employers, they were often contradictory. Where there was consistency, these were:

• DECC: majority expecting a policy in Q2
    • Justice: 2/2 expecting a policy in Q2
    • Revenue: majority don't know when a policy is expected, 5 expecting one in Q2

Interestingly,

• DSP: 4 don't know when a WFH policy will be introduced, 2 expect one in Q2, and 2 say there already is one!
    • Prison Service: no policy being introduced.

My takeaway from this is we that don't communicate enough with our peers and colleagues; and probably our unions should be communicating more with staff across and within departments and offices.

Thanks to all who answered!

I think you've done more work than our unions there TaurenDruid. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Thanks TaurenDruid. Great work on the survey and results. As said, it's a pity the unions are sitting on their hands on this. It may be likely that the momentum for WFH benefits will be lost soon with such discrepancies. I think I'll reconsider paying into the useless monstrosity that is Forsa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Speaking as someone that for a few years at the start of my career worked in the PS (Semi state body) and now in a management position in a private multinational company I cannot for the life of me figure out why any good performer would want to stay in the PS. It’s like something from the dark ages. Salaries and benefits while OK are nothing standout , especially for technical skilled positions.

Reminds me of being in school with all the various regulations and dictats people cite here. I know the pensions and job security are a big pull but that would not be enough for me to cancel out all the utter pettiness. Might as well be back at school. I knew the PS wouldn’t embrace wfh. Too many vested interests in management and snouts in the trough (like landlord friends of government)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Did management actually use that kind of threatening language and approach with you? Christ. Were you previously based in Dublin but moved hone during the pandemic?

if you could find some kind of cheap accommodation in Dublin the day you were working in the office like a hostel or b&b?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

The pettiness depends on the department in my opinion, but I agree that the job is less attractive than before. I worked longer in the private sector than the CS. I'm fairly well qualified in my field. When I started in the CS I thought I'd never leave. Now I'm looking at what else is out there in the private sector. I'm lucky to no longer be working under petty managers but I experienced it when I first started in the CS. Anyway, thanks again for organising the survey, time will tell what/if our unions will do.

Re: Good performers staying, I think there are various reasons and people can sleepwalk themselves into a rut. There appears to be very low staff turnover in PS organisations which outwardly seems like a good thing. Not so good if you consider that fear, institutionalisation and the "golden handcuffs" (pension) are factors IMO.

Private sector employment is IME very difficult to obtain after an extended stint in the public sector - a private employer would rather employ someone straight out of college rather than someone who they'd (rightly or wrongly) regard as an institutionalised, lazy as sin, professional tea drinker.

I've seen people in the PS who realised they were in a rut but it was an ok rut. They enjoyed the job and were performing well. The key factor was they were lucky to have one of the few good leaders as head of their dept. When that person left or retired and was replaced by someone with zero leadership skill, the house of cards collapsed. Those with the power to rectify the situation were completely apathetic - shur why would they do anything, they'll get the same pension either way.

As for the resistance to WFH - change is bad and a lot of problems in the PS relate to fear of looking foolish. We have offices, we can't be having staff WFH as we'll look stupid if the offices are under occupied. Get everyone back to their typewriters.

It is school-like too. There are plenty in the PS who went in straight after school and never left, their "management style" is like that of a teacher. Extremely patronising emails full of bold and underlined fonts directing people what to do. Insisting on printed memos for the smallest thing, then correcting small errors in these memos with underlining and red biro and sending them back to be redone.

Yes, management did use the above language with me. And quite senior management.

Previously based in Dublin but moved home during the pandemic as family member needed to cocoon so I rented here.

ideally, I would love to find a cheap accommodation b&b or hostel as the commute is three hours each way. however they have not given a set day. I will not know what day until next week and so on. It seems week by week. And even at that, management hums and mumbles that they’re not sure yet about meetings schedules etc so it ends up a day or two before.

I feel anger at HR for not giving a month’s notice so I could find something. Not even a set day so I could book something. It has created uncertainty, anxiety, conflict and a toxic atmosphere on return. They had two years to plan this and the best they did was, be in the office next week sometime your manager tells you. I really don’t see anyone from outside Dublin working in the PS or CS anymore.

As someone who has worked in the private sector and the public sector, I've come across shite managers and excellent managers and leaders in both. I've never come across the other situations you're describing, though, in 25+ years. Who has time for that?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

We have a staff member who moved home and now has to try move back to the town we're in for 1 day a week.

I Know they were considering quitting

Thanks but where will I go? I have thought about it. Believe me I am thinking about it. But I am good at my job and have some years experience in CS now. Where wud I go? what would I do? I’m seriously open to moving abroad if opportunities are to be found I’m just afraid of leaving CS I guess.

Who has time for that - answer, a micromanaging, paper shuffling, wannabe teacher! Also likely to be vehemently anti WFH.

There are all manner of strange practices and problematic personality types in the PS but it's not in every organisation and the CS is likely to be better than the wider PS.

The point I was making about bad leaders is, if you get one and you've been in the PS for some time, what do you do. IME, private sector employers don't want to take on public servants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,257 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I was just about to write the same post, except for 20 years in my case. The scenarios outlined are unrecognisable to me.

Advertisement