Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things that can last your entire adult life if you take care of them.

• 10-02-2022 9:43pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We live in such a throw away society these days. Phones, TVs, Computers etc seem to last less and less time before you need a new one. But what are somethings that could last a life time and not go out of style if cared for?

I'll start with stainless steel cutlery.

Easy to use, clean and maintain. VERY little wear over the course of a lifetime. Don't really go in and out of style. As long as you use them as intended and not as screwdrivers or paint can openers you'll be laughing in your 80s with the spoons you bought in your 20s.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Rustyman101

Regrets !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

I've been holding a grudge against someone for almost 30 years now. I reckon I can make it last for the rest of my life. (Or theirs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Probably a bit of a niche item but a Kamado Grill smoker will last more or less forever if you take care of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a pair of sennheiser headphones which cost me IR£150 24 years ago which are still going. thousands of hours of use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

your teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Handsaw, hammer, garden fork, any amount of manual tools can last several lifetimes. To be honest, there's a huge amount of things. Furniture, clocks, crockery, books......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

The wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭blackvalley

A good sweeping brush . Just change the head and handle every few years .😉

My Father wore the same watch as long as I can remember......He passed over in 1993..........Its sitting on my wrist ever since...........needs a wind every other day.......but a great timekeeper.

• Advertisement

I have a family heirloom woman's pocket watch that is nearly 180 yrs old now I inherited. It's been always cleaned and maintained through the years. And even though the inscription is faded beyond reading, it still keeps good time. I plan to pass it onto my daughter one day and hope she maintains it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭phormium

Not an item I bought myself but I am still regularly using my grandmother's knitting needle set. Not something everyone wants I know but will definitely last if minded and will last several lifetimes.

I recently knit a cardigan for my grandaughter with her great great grandmother's knitting needles, nice bit of history!

Alas I don't know where they will go next unless my grandaughter fancies knitting when older!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Musical instruments… are generally meant to last..buy a good one, it will..

my Aunt who is 85 has the piano with which she learned to play on when she was about 8…it’s circa 77 years old in great nick…

I’ve a guitar, a Rickenbacker thats 22 years old, mint..an Ibanez artwood that’s about 8 or 9 years old, even better end of mint…they are well made, made to last..but you gotta take care..

also my clarinet is about 45 years old, it was originally my cousins…mint.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’ve got a 20 year old snooker cue. I’m prettt sure my older son will be playing with it in another 20 years. Keep it cleaned and oiled.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I've a lot of records from the 70s and plenty from the 60s. I didn't think much of it in the 2000s when I was buying some of them and they were 30+ years at the time but some of them are 50 to 60+ years old now and still play fresh as day. Save for a flood or fire they should do for many more years to come.

I read somewhere before "You don't own a record collection, you're just minding it for the next person."

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Your willy. But I'm afraid I've worn mine out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I have a Honda lawnmower from the 1980s which has not been pampered and the only thing that has gone wrong with it is a cracked clutch arm when it was over 30 years old.

Cars - if they are well maintained and kept in a heated garage when not in use, they can last several decades without major expenditure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Fallout2022

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I have a little electrical multimeter that I was shocked to realise I've had for 35 years now. Still works great.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Your dignity. Just try to be a good person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

My brother's super Nintendo still works and it is 30 this year. It actually is in better condition than the PS1, it's lid doesn't close unless you set something on it.

Also my father has had the same alarm clock since the late 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

We have a garden fork here that is over 100 years old. Was passed down from my grandfather's grandfather. In all that time we've only had to put 12 new handles and 4 new heads onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That Joke's been done to death.

I have one in it's original state that's about 90 years old. A wood plane over a hundred years old is still in regular use.

I have a teddy bear that was bought for me when my mother was pregnant. He is 47 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sure there are any amount of county council shovels that age that are as pristine today as they day they were made.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

NM

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

The real Donald trump would have had a better shovel joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Most men will maintain and use anything for life once its still functional and practical.

Unfortunately, once the lady of the house deems it obselte, out it goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It was the breastfeeding that got them off to a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

My dad got a gift of a razor for his 18th birthday (or possibly his 21st). He turned 76 last week and still uses it.

A good gun can last for generations never mind a lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭mikethecop

not your knees anyway ,

really would have hoped evolution would have solved that one for me by now

have a wee swiss army knife I found some where about 30 years ago ,

still in great nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Shauna677

He's ha reminds me of this joke. What's the definition of an alzheimer's patient.......they forget everything but the grudge :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Shauna677

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

microwave oven - have a panasonic and its pushing 30 years old 😶

Your virginity if minded!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

My Panasonic boombox and there's an old Phillips fridge at home still on the go but after that most modern electrical devices are disposable. Oh my ipod still works but it's a bit butchered after trying to open it to replace the battery.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a wooden wood plane, or a cast iron one? i've about half a dozen bailey planes; you can see the drop in quality as they get newer (younger?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Le Creuset cookware. There is a vibrant second hand market for old Creuset pans as the thinking is newer versions aren't up to the same quality.

Stainless steel knives - sharpen them regularly and don't put them in the dishwasher. Some of the premium Japanese brands might seem expensive, but think of it as a lifetime investment.

Handmade shoes - again, expensive to buy, but will last for a very long time if you get them maintained by a cobbler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Le Creuset is and always was overpriced and overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

"Things that can last your entire adult life if you take care of them."

I would think your wife, if you treat her right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I’m still using the pig gut condom my grandad wore the night my dad was conceived 92 years ago.

Hopefully one of my many children will inherit it one day, as I did from my father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

My Dad has an ancient but really good kitchen knife with a dark wooden handle that he bought about 40 years ago. He sharpens it with a stone every week. He still also has a Phillips alarm clock radio that he got back in 1984. It used to wake me every morning from primary school up to the time I finished my last job in Limerick in 2004. I still get a chill in my spine to this day when I hear the alarm tone from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭blackbox

No reason why a bicycle shouldn't last a lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

funnily enough, ive never actually bought a smart phone, yet i own 4 or 5 of them at the moment, the oldest one i use regularly is easily 10 years old...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Facetious answer: my lungs.

Serious answer: the army shoes I was issued with c.1992. I still wear them to every formal family occasion. I reckon they'll outlive me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Impressive but to last your entire life you’d have to have bought them when you were a. baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Advertisement
Advertisement