Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭deisedude

A little off topic but the throw in rules need to change to just 2 men contesting and the rest of players need to be a few yards away

Most throw in these days just result in more rucks of 10-12 lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Bring it in that you have to pull. Rucks are awful.

Waterford lucky enough today souldvhave been beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Funny had the same thought earlier. At both throw ins at each start of the half, you had players way beyond the 65 so by the time the ball was thrown in, you had about 14 players in a group and a rush for someone to sit on the ball. It seems to be the thing to do over the last few years that no one gets a clean possession anymore if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Real winter hurling for both sides.

A good exercise for February is all it was. Dreadful ref though

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The young lad loved being out on the pitch at half time today. Same again next week please Waterford CB!

As for the match, poor weather, terrible surface and a terrible ref means it's difficult to take a lot from it. Altho despite all that it was entertaining fare especially in second half. Tom Barron impressed and prunty was his usual colossus type self.

Cahill was patrolling the sideline in front of where we were sat, he isn't shy in giving players a piece of his mind. Game definitely matters to him anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Just finished watching the game on GAAGO. It was a strange match in that we were fortunate to get the draw but also disappointed in a way not to do a smash-and-grab and snatch the win near the end. I thought after their player got the line (around the 60th min) we could have pushed on for the win but at the same time also recall thinking I'd be happy enough with the draw.

To be fair, before the game if offered a draw I would have taken it. Given the players unavailable, the new lads that did play, away to a Dublin side that have a more full panel to pick from and having a bit more work done it's not a bad result.

Felt the Dublin corner back should have got a red for taking out Colin Dunford in the early minutes. I honestly had no idea black cards were a thing, does this mean a player is "sin binned" for a defined period of time? And can come back on?

Stephen Bennett stood out again, took his frees and the penalties very well.

Laois at Walsh Park next week, should be another chance for the newer faces to get more game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Black card is ten mins off the pitch, given for a deliberate foul that prevents a goal scoring opportunity inside the 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,305 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Story going around about antics of a certain player from a club that faced Ballygunner recently. Horrible stuff if true

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

Not a great game.

Some positives Tom Barron played well whole game. DJ showed scored a few nice points. Cathrach played well the last 10 minutes when we needed someone. And obviously got a draw when for a lot of the game we were not looking getting anything.

How many of our lads would have made their senior debut yesterday? I think 2 or possibly 3 - Tom Barron, Carthach Daly and Ciaran Korean came on as a sub. Can’t remember if the latter played any senior league or championship last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Yesterday was a very physical game where a very rough and soft surface, combined with a strong wind contributed the the continual procession of rucks, along with a very inconsistent referee. Thought a sin-bin was correct decision for first penalty until i watched a recording of the game last night and to be honest the Dublin corner back was lucky to avoid red. Referee was very frustrating, he seemed to take absolutely no count of steps, how he managed to penalize Waterford twice in the space of five minutes for throwing the ball, now i am not saying he was wrong on those two occasions, but how he left another probably 20 similar offences go was ridiculous, referees really have to get some consistency into this part of the game. He gave some really soft frees to both side, but i feel Dublin managed to engineer their free a lot easier., but look i suppose it was a difficult game to referee with both sides so physically committed, but still am at a loss with the amount of card issued. .

It was a real first round league match, with lots of guys looking rusty. With even a small bit more composure, we had at least three really good goal chances outside of the penalties, so not too unhappy there.

Quite impressed with Catharac Daly, big and mobile and has plenty of pace. Great to see Patrick Curran's for continuing to improve even though conditions did not suit him but showed plenty of willingness to battle and won quite an amount of his own ball. As many posters have said going to Parnell Park is always a difficult place to get a result, and considering the early season form Dublin had been showing a draw was a good and i believe fair result in eh end, neither side for me did enough to deserve both points.

Looking forward to next Saturday and Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Cake Man suggests that Tom Barron and Ciarán Kirwan made their senior debuts for Waterford yesterday. Barron made three appearances for Waterford in the 2020 National Hurling League, twice as substitute (against Cork and Westmeath) and once as a starter (against Limerick). Kirwan came on as a late sub for Waterford in their championship game against Clare in the same year.

Could you say Munster council made a mess of pre season compared to the Walsh Cup in which all teams got at least 2 games

Munster teams bit rusty compared to Leinster teams

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Stephen Molumphy would want to calm down with the interviews as Kerry manager. He is doing about 3 x interviews a week this last 4 weeks.

Keep the head down and get a few results in the league first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭decies

Can I ask you about that GAAGO sub I just signed up tonight . Seems to be working fine on android box via android app . Can’t get anything via browser or iOS app . Do you need a vpn to watch ?

No I just watch on my iPhone but in saying that I usually don't watch them live with the awful time difference where I am (throw in times 1/2/3am) but watch them when I wake up. No VPN or anything needed. Go to the GAAGO website, purchase the game (or season pass I guess, if you have that) and the stream loads up. It can be a bit of a pain as the first 20+ or so mins of the stream is just blank screens of fan pics with elevator type music so you need to fast forward to the start of the game and be very careful not to touch anything else! Made the killer mistake three years ago when we played Limerick in the league final, I was playing around trying to skip to the start of the game, went too far and tried rewinding back but it bloody took me to the end of the stream where I saw the Limerick captain on the steps of the Hogan stand accepting the cup....

living in ireland having it working on Android box for catch up or through chrome browser on I phone . I will see what it’s like for live but seems expensive for what it is and they don’t show every hurling league match like Waterford Laois next Sunday .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Which would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Don’t know where this came out of, but I know you couldn’t meet a guy less bothered about media and interviews than Molumphy. If he is doing lots it’s only because he sees it as part of his role.

• Advertisement

Are all the tickets gone for Saturdays club championship final at croker ? All I could see is juvenile tickets !!

Doubt it's sold out, atm it's only lower Cusack and Hogan open (and probably stay that way). Really looking forward to the trip and hopefully a Ballygunner win. First club final for myself and its a pity its not on the Traditional Paddys Day but is what it is

All sorted for tickets thanks to the mystery man the very obliging mystery man sorting me out .

Decent previews of the club finals, really looking forward to the game. Ballygunner winning would be fantastic for Waterford hurling no matter what club you support

Also looking forward to Sundays league game against Laois. Let's hope for a solid performance and some of the new players yet again impress. WIT bowing out of the Fitzgibbon tonight at the hands of NUIG

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I travelled to Parnell Park last Sunday with a certain feeling of trepidation regarding Waterford’s chances against a highly-committed Dublin team playing on its home ground and with an amount of wind in their sails following their success in the Walsh Cup. Apart from Liam Rushe, they had what looked like a full deck on the field, whereas Waterford were short nine or ten of what I expect to be their regular starters and/or finishers come championship time. This meant that Dublin would be a settled side with a well-practised game plan, whereas the Waterford team was largely experimental with several players in unfamiliar positions.

Once the game started it became clear how far ahead of Waterford Dublin were in terms of hurling preparation. They looked better organised and their first touch and decision-making were better. Their game plan, like Limerick’s, was built around flurries of short hand passes designed to get players in space. I counted 42 hand passes in all compared to Waterford’s 20. They had by far the best player on the pitch in Danny Sutcliffe, with Eoghan O’Donnell also superb in an excellent full back line, midfielders Chris Crummey and Conor Burke not far behind and Donal Burke giving a free-taking exhibition. Conor Prunty was the only Waterford player to come near this level of performance.

In the circumstances, Waterford did very well to get away with a draw. Given that Dublin had put 3-29 on Galway and 2-29 on Wexford, holding them to 0-21 was an achievement. Dublin did not help themselves with some poor shooting with wind assistance in the first half, but ultimately it was two pieces of hurling excellence which saved Waterford’s bacon. The first was Colin Dunford’s excellent take, turn and burst of acceleration which left his marker in his wake leading to the first penalty. The second was the best passing movement of the game, with Dunford again involved, finding Tom Barron with a good pass with the ball being moved on to Austin Gleeson who in turn sent a superb no-look pass to the unmarked Jack Prendergast in front of goal, leading to the second penalty which Stephen Bennett was lucky enough to get over the line.

Even then, Dublin passed up three opportunities to seal out the game in the last minute. First Sutcliffe chose to pass when a handy point looked to be there for the taking. Then Davy Keogh dropped a shot short into Billy Nolan whose overhit attempted stick pass to Stephen Bennett gave Donal Burke a last-gasp potshot which, luckily, he put well wide.

Waterford did not do themselves any favours with a second-half tactic of hitting long puckouts into the Dublin goal area. Billy Nolan struck eight of these, six of which were gobbled up by O’Donnell & co. Waterford would have been better served by trying to work players into space in the midfield area, from where it was relatively easy to hit scores with the prevailing wind (as DJ Foran showed). Wexford tried the same tactic, with an equal lack of success, against the outstanding Limerick full back line in the second half of their match on Sunday. In their case, they did manage to be ahead at the finish, thanks mainly to a clearly illegal goal and some poor Limerick shooting.

Most of the Waterford team had their moments, but few performed consistently over the 70 minutes, with Conor Prunty and Iarlaith Daly honourable exceptions. Tom Barron frequently caught the eye going forward, but he was also the player who was supposed to be marking Danny Sutcliffe. On the other wing, the experiment of playing Jack Fagan at half back did not really work, although again he made some good contributions moving forward late in the game.

Jack Prendergast had a very good first half, and while he faded after the change of ends, he still managed to get forward (to more familiar surroundings) to earn the second penalty. Cárthach Daly had little enough impact at midfield but, crucially, played the key role in setting up Waterford’s last two scores. Once again, DJ Foran had little impact as a ballwinner but certainly paid his way with three well-taken points. Patrick Curran also put in a hard-working shift, albeit far from goal where some would consider his potential contribution is greatest.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭DeHorse88

Not a Waterford man but living in the county, would there be any support for Ballygunner in the likes of Passage or Mount Sion or what way would things stand there? I remember in Tipp, Borrisileigh would have got a lot of well wishes off rival clubs 2 years ago, wouldn’t appear to me to be same with Ballygunner

Good point, hard to know really and more of a personal choice. I'm from the city and would support any Waterford club from Waterford getting this far and it's an opportunity that doesn't come around too much for a Waterford club to be lining out in Croker.

Ardmore winning in the AI Junior in 2017/18 was a great occasion for the club and Waterford hurling and by god did they make work of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

I have some spare tickets for tomorrow. pm me if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Best of Luck to the Gunners tomorrow, 100% behind them to bring home an All Ireland trophy to the Deise - really hope they do their club and their county proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Not supporting a Senior club influences my viewpoint, but the Waterford champions are OUR champions as far as I'm concerned. I was utterly crushed when De La Salle were beaten by a last-minute goal by Clarinbridge back in 2011, and I'll feel the same if Ballygunner suffer a similar fate tomorrow.

Advertisement