Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

Pearse "Social Media Outrage" Doherty was found out this evening when debating the extremely impressive Paschal Donohue.

Eoin was put back into his box last week during a longer debate, so would be interested in seeing a longer and more substantive debate between the MoF and Doherty.

If SF are proposing we renegade on our national debt, then say that. If they believe in an alternative model of how society works - then fire it out. At the moment it just looks like a move to the centre, with a smell of the right-wing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Get SF talking about policy and it all falls apart, they're much more comfortable trading jibes about terrorism.

Bring it to policy and they make fools of themselves because they don't have any new or different ideas, that's the worry about them in opposition, their budget plans are for the fairies and housing is undercooked and they'll cave to any and all demands from the public sector or whichever group of the week is trying to tug on the heartstrings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Seems pretty similar to what FFG have been saying after all those years, 'supply'. And still nothing has changed.

They're useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Its like when government fan boys talk about homelessness like its so passé. The housing crisis is still happening numbnuts, why would the criticism change? 😉

Post edited by Brucie Bonus on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If I hear "we'll put a months rent back in renters pockets" one more time I'll shoot myself. Its one of the soundbites that sinn fein love the most, crowbar it into everything they do, and is absolutely meaningless

This is the first time I've seen it. I still get a laugh out of "It's morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a person's home".

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

I know what the first vote was for. The point is that the council voted to seek tenders from developers on the basis that the developments would be 50% private, 30% council and 20% affordable. Then in 2020 SF voted against tenders BECAUSE they had the split that was agreed in 2017, claiming it was unacceptable. If SF hadn't voted against the plan those houses could possibly have been built and occupied already.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭FullyComp

Because it won't just drive up rents by that month of course.

We obviously need an institutional rental sector (especially one that builds its own properties) - giving the tax break and allowing permission here will only drive up supply and hopefully eventually even out the rental tariff in the long term.

Sinn Fein have got nothing for ordinary people who make a commitment to the state and buy a house/pay a mortgage here.

That's not fair

If any lesson should be learned from the crash,populism is not good for the economy in the long run

SF in their promise everything mode are behind the curve on that and from O'Broins pronouncements to developers to ignore what they say publicly, SF ain't genuine either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You must not watch or listen to sinn fein that much - pearse said it 3 times on prime time last night. Reminds me of Boris with his "get brexit done" slogan

I don't no. Barely ever go on twitter. Don't follow SF on social media.

When the same problem persists, it stands that the criticism would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

Welcome to boards.ie

I did not even know that there is a construction and planning forum, but I do know there is a mustard forum.

Did you read the post that I quoted?

Did you read my post?

I am not sure that you did judging by your post.

The poster made a claim. I wanted to see if they knew what they were talking about, and could back up their claim.

Turns out that they are not willing to back up their claim, which tells me that their claim is wrong.

Do you agree with them and their claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

O Cualann housing sold these 3 bed (A) houses in Ballymun for €178K.

O Cualann paid DCC €1000 per site and I think they take 5% of the purchase price to cover their development costs. A developer would be putting 15% to 25% on the costs.

I saw a social housing development by Kerry County Council of 56 houses of 3/4 beds cost on average €220 (the development cost 12 million).

When cuckoo funds control most of these To Lets, they just cut off the supply to increase the demand because they can afford to do so.

There is one of those developments close to me which is owned by a German fund. There is hardly anyone living there (yet) and rents start and are staying at 2K per month.

They are fairly soulless places (big windows so you can see in, all furnished more or less the same (Ikea).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

I see the cult has shifted it's views again because of dear leader costing up to Queen Lizzy.

Imagine if the leader of FF, FG or the SDLP came out and congratulated the Queen on her Jubilee. Imagine the reaction from the Cult members.

While personally I think Marylou did well you can't help but laugh at the mental gymnastics the cult members are putting themselves through.

I see Jonathan ‘I’m in the IRA’ Dowdall failed in his attempt to have his murder trial in front of a jury as opposed to the SCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Another good republican playing the victim card.

So you want MLMD to call her an aul geebag? If FF/FG did it you'd be calling it diplomacy.

Anyway, its important the future Taoiseach does such things :)

I see the TUV and DUP have agreed a pact for the May assembly elections

The UUP have been asked to follow suit

Would a pan unionist alliance like that be enough to prevent Michelle O'Neill becoming first minister ?

Disclosure: I would vote SF if I had a vote in NI because frankly the unionist brexity sectarian alternative is anathema to me

Thats entirely different to my choices where I do have a vote,which thankfully doesn't mean voting for centre parties allows unionist brexity sectarian parties in

Further Disclosure: I don't and have never believed SF candidates in the Republic today advocate violence anymore

They do praise it in the living memory which isn't really a deal breaker for me tbh as there's been plenty regret spoken

Ardent Unionist's are a different kettle of fish

• Advertisement

You'll find if defending the government you can speak broadly about nimbyism and how councillors don't lay blocks. But if you are critical you are on occasion expected to budget for an entire housing estate.

I notice by your posts that you are not interested in a discussion.

I also notice that you are posting on a discussion board.

Why do you want to shut down discussion on a discussion board?

Your point seems to be that an unqualified anonymous internet poster can post up any unsubstantiated claim that they want, and if anyone wants to question their claim, then they should consult some qualified person.

I wanted to discuss if it was morally correct to vote against the building of houses basses simply on the cost of building the houses (without knowing the actual cost), or if those houses should have been built.

You don’t seem to care about the discussion, instead you seem more concerned about closing down the discussion.

I do think that that is a bit strange.

Oh, and did I say: Welcome to boards.ie

I see the family of Jean McConville are trying to raise money to take a civic case against the people who ordered and carried out the murder of their mother.

Surely the family of Robert McCartney should do the same? This was a guy who was taken outside a pub; had one of his eyes removed while he was still alive, and then was sliced upon from his throat down to his groin. A couple of senior members of SF were in the toilet at the time.

Does MLMD have an alibi I wonder? SF should really take the whole killing thing out of their manifesto.

I doubt the likes of Mary Lou and Eoin were present when the grotty realities of the North Strand crew were carrying out their version of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

There are websites google building estimates calculator take your pick .

Well, at least we agree that the poster jm08 hasn’t a clue about what houses cost to build, and their attempts to defend SF’s decision to vote against building houses are rubbish.

It is also great that we agree that SF are only voting against houses being built to further their own agenda.

I do find it strange that you are very happy to allow posters to make unsubstantiated claims, and that you keep defending their ‘right’ to make these unsubstantiated claims. I wonder if you will extend this to all posters and all claims?

The poster jm08 provided links to recent housing developments for affordable/social homes, so wasn't actually claiming to know what house building cost.

The fact that you chose not to respond to the actual post with those links to cost suggest that all you can support your argument is with a sly ad hominem attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

As has been said numerous times by multiple posters, SF are opposed to certain plans on building more houses as they are not appropriate plans to tackle the housing crisis. A lot of the stuff being proposed by the government is just more of the same crap that caused the housing crisis in the first place.

Advertisement