Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

I replaced a saddle on a Trek Domane, tightened it with the Trek torque tool. But it moved on a spin last night, nose of the saddle rose. I had it positioned towards front of the rail trying to replicate distance from handlebars on Emonda (had a bike fit).

I know geometry is different ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have the same predicament, I'm going to try soapy water instead of a plain bucket.

After that I guess more patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

You check the valve?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yep. Well, I held it underwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Replace the valve and see. Worked for me!

• Advertisement

Just not worth the hassle if a slow becomes a fast on some cold shirtty day.... I'd change the tube in the comfort of the house, then play around with it....I wouldn't though 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it a two bolt clamp? sometimes they can be a bit fiddly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

My daughter's bike has a really slow puncture. I was just thinking of letting it become a faster puncture over time. Takes several days to deflate. I suspect it is the valve, now it's been mentioned here.

Nah its the one bolt clamp, looks like I need to centre it on the saddle rail which will shorten the reach, I'll do it this evening and try a 50 ish spin in the morning before the heavy rain comes. The Domane is an endurance bike so maybe I am meant to be more upright on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

If you've had a proper bike fit, then you should try replicating the saddle position in relation to the bottom bracket. Then adjust reach using a different length stem if necessary. You're correct that the Domane has a more relaxed geometry to the Emonda, so a slightly shorter reach and higher stack is what you'd expect to find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Mine has been slipping on the last few rides. I took the saddle and clamp off, cleaned the inserts and applied some copper antiseeze and tightened it back up again. Was fine on the two spins yesterday.

Replaced a saddle on the Planet x, a 2 bolt type, much more fiddley than the one bolt system, did a 50km yesterday and no issues.

Revisited the Domane saddle on Sat , moved the saddle and more or less centred it on the rail, need to look at it again regarding the bottom bracket, reach is definitely shorter now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,515 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have to remove my bottom bracket (a Shimano BB-MT800 which came with the bike) and don't have a TL-FC25 bottom bracket tool/adapter. Any B&M shops around Dublin that sell a TL-FC25, or should I have at it with a vice grips? 😀 Really would prefer not to wait for a week until I can get one delivered. I have the Halfords equivalent of the FC32, which is too large to remove the bracket.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Where in Dublin are you? I think I have one you can borrow to get out if a bind. I presume it's the same as the newer Ultegra bbs that require tmaucb adapter

Hi Weepsie, I'm in Shankill but would be happy to travel to borrow something that would work. Looks like 16 teeth and around 43mm diameter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I might have one and am just off the N11 in Foxrock if that's handier? I'll check in the morning.

I'm in glasnevin, work in city centre on Friday. Definitely have one if you want to borrow it and if above isn't available

That'd be fab thanks. Certainly trip into town on Friday if Paul doesn't have one to hand. Have Friday off and was hoping to use the time to work on the bike. Thanks both!

I have these two. Blue one is similiar but not quite the same(!) as 44mm 16 notch one. You're welcome to borrow them to see if they work. I'm around all day today. PM if required.

Edit - PS I've just remembered the red one came with an adapter that has FC-TL25 written on one side and FC-TL24 on the other!

Thanks Paul! what I need is the adapter with FC-TL25. I think Weepsie has me sorted, but just in case there's a fit issue, if you have FC-TL25, that'd be great to know!

• Advertisement

This is the adapter I have -

That's the same as mine if you want to Dave yourself a trip to town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Is that made from metal or plastic? The sh1te plastic Shimano one that I got with my groupset has stripped (I just about got the BB torqued enough last time I had it off to clean), and it's a completely dumb material to make something that's going to require that amount of torque from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I had an similar sounding issue with a 105 5800 shifter a couple of years ago. In my case, it became very stiff to shift down (i.e. smaller to larger sprocket) and shifting up did nothing. It happened intermittently for a while, then the shifter just packed up completely.

The problem for me turned out to be the grease in the shifter body. It had solidified with age/use - apparently reasonably common with Shimano shifters. I fixed it by peeling back the rubber hood from the front, and opening the plate on the side of the shifter body giving access to the internals. Flushed out the original lube with a spray degreaser, flushed that out with water, let it dry (think I might have used a hairdrier here to move it along), liberally applied a PTFE spray lube, wiped away the excess and put everything back together again. It's been performing perfectly since with probably in the order of another 8-10000km on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://images.app.goo.gl/PKH41f5qfKPVe1fD8

I have something like that, I never liked using the plastic adapter; even though it never slipped the few times I used it.

It would also be useful with a over tightened BB in that you could run a threaded bar through and clamp it tight before turning it

Well, in fairness, the whole thing only cost a tenner! It's clearly not workshop quality but I managed to get my BB on with it.

I used my own one this very morning.

Anyway, there's no stupid maintenance questions but there is stupid maintenance. I slipped while removing pedals and managed to smack myself in the face with my wrench.

This a year on from possibly breaking a knuckle in similar circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Anyone recommend a bike place in Dublin City for a service?

Not break the back but who will do a good job. Maybe new chain and gear adjustment as well as service

Thanks

bee cycles usually get a recommendation. or do you mean in the city centre itself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Well work is in city centre so convenient to that.

Once I can cycle there and grab a Dublin bike to work I'm good

Advertisement