Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Probably cos they only got Lita with the juicy Saudi wedge of cash. Ditto for another Goldberg return at Elimination Chamber and not WrestleMania.

Ah yes, that'd make sense.

It'd satiate the Saudi appetite for legends on their shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I wouldn't have thought the Saudis would be overly excited by female legends, all things considered.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

May not be the Saudis but WWE being able to offer more money to Lita for EC as opposed to Mania was my thinking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I think theme music in WWE has really gone downhill ever since let Jim Johnston go a few years ago.

He really knew how to make a song connect with whoever using it. There is really old interview of him going through the process of The Rock theme song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yeah a lot of it is generic these days. Jim Johnson had a skill. Some argue he lost that skill as time went by but I personally dont see that.

Random thought. Is today's style really that worth it?

Take Dynamite Kid, he destroyed his body with his style. Benoit who mirrored it had the brain of an old man and now Kenny Omega has said years of his wrestling style has taken his toll. All high paced, heavy hard hitting bumps.

But today's style is like that. Do a thousand and 1 things a match. Can that last?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Indifferent about this Stone Cold vs Kevin Owens match

KO would carry Austin well no doubt but then again ring rust for Austin

Maybe a segment with Austin giving the stunner instead of a match

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Can't shake this voice in my head telling me it's gonna be a quick one played for laughs more than anything else. Quick stunner and over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Vince no longer wants the New Day referenced on WWE tv. They will now be referenced as their individual names in tag teams.

Another crazy Vince move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Probably thinks they're making too much money in merchandise. Or maybe he thinks he can shift twice as much? I don't know.

If it was anyone else you'd have to expect a short boom, boom, boom hit your finish. But Austin really was some great worker.

He really incorporated that 'brawl' main event style. No way would you get a 20 minute barn burner out of him now, but with that brawl style it could be Austin shines as owens bumps around for him, brawl to the outside for a bit, owens cuts him off for the heat... don't have to bump Austin too much. Can sell to one knee (Honky Tonk style) etc etc etc.

Basically I guess what I am saying is you can more milage out of brawling which is what Austin was known for. Could get 10-12 minutes or whatever. Then with entrances you could be talking a 20 minute segment. Not bad for a mania match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Pentecost

It'd make me watch whatever night it was on anyway so I think Vince would be happy with that alone.

Just realised that Vince's recent shift in mentality towards the roster means there will probably be no more specials like the MYC or CWC. Damn.

Am I the only person that likes Brandi Rhodes?

I don't mind Brandi, she was at her best doing the Maria Kanellis type role managing Cody instead of trying to force other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cody vs Seth Rollins for Mania please esp having Rollins been a dick

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Billy Gunn is in absurd shape for a guy pushing 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Watching Guardians of Justice on Netflix.

DDP plays a knock-off Batman called Night Hawk and John Morrison plays a knock-off Dick Grayson called Mick Mason. It's dumb parody stuff but watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Just after watching the AJ Styles interview with Ariel Helwani. Made me go down a TNA wormhole on YouTube.

TNA at its best was some of my favourite viewing in wrestling history. It is a real pity it doesn’t have a massive legacy akin to ECW. It truly deserves it.

At their peaks I’d easily argue.

WWE was a country mile better than WCW that was slightly better than TNA which was better than ECW.

• Advertisement

Here's a random tidbit. Most guys who won the wwf/wwe world title did so fairly early on in their wwe careers. Which further proves the glass ceiling in wwe wrestlers can encounter. As in you are either seen as main event potential or not. There's obvious exceptions (Shawn Michaels and bret hart) but to give an idea:

Hulk hogan - debuted 1983 and won the title in 1984. (1 year)

Randy Savage debuted 1985 and won in 1988. (3 years)

The ultimate warrior debuted 1987 and won 1990. (3 years)

The undertaker- debuted 1990 and won 1991 (1 year)

Yokozuna debuted 1992 and won 1993 (1 year)

Kevin Nash debuted 1993 won on 1994 (1 year)

Steve Austin debuted 1995 and won in 1998 (three years)

The Rock debuted 1996 and won in 1998 (two years)

Mick Foley debuted 1996 and won 1998 (2 years)

Triple H debut 1995 and won 1999 (4 years)

Kurt Angle debuted 1999 and won 2000. (1 year)

I can go on but it shows that most guys who won the title did so very early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,017 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

And bar hogan, taker, and yoko, and possibly foley(I’ve no memory of doing it) all the others won the IC title prior to winning the world title. And up to a certain year piper when in the company was kind of the gatekeeper to the world title picture.

Ten years ago tonight Irish time(it aired on the 6th) the rock did these segments on Monday night raw.

My random thought is that the guy from Dublin who sent in the song to Jim Cornettes drive thru from last Thursday about Cody Rhodes set to take it easy by the eagles is a genius. I don’t know it he’s on here but regardless take a bow good sir. 😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just seen the aftermath of the GCW match Matt Cardona & Brian Myers V Joey Janela & Waltman

Fucking hell, the amount of trash the fans throw in to the ring and Joey going nuts at the fans

GCW is far from my cup of tea

He’s right to be mad. What purpose does that serve ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Then gcw should have cut it out the second it happened to cardona the first time, instead they milked it for publicity. you don't get to play the outlaw card and then act annoyed when people don't follow the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I know he was right but he added fuel to the fire, hell there was an ice bucket thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

With the habitual numbers OTT legit does in the stadium you’d wonder where they sit on the world stage in terms of size and audience?

I suppose ROH they are the biggest “indie”. WWE, AEW, NJPW, ROH, GCW??

I think pretty much all the britwrest feds have imploded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Edge's new theme song is pretty kickass. I wonder if Alter Bridge will be at Wrestlemania to do a live performance for Edge's entrance.

Advertisement