Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less experienced colleague now out earning me

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The flip side of this is that by promoting this guy over everyone else. Everyone else needs to change either how or what they are doing.

That includes not using their expertise to prop up someone lacking it. If they are not lacking ability they won't need the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭mcgragger

This is what pissed me off about employers - why is it always a knee jerk to someone handing in a resignation.

Paying for good staff should be automatic - especially retention

regarding the OP - grow a pair and demand to know whats going on. Get them to tell you why the other person got a raise.

Anyway either way you are not valued there that is clear - If I was you I would find a better job and leave . whats done is done

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If qualifications trumps experience then you need to forget about building up experience and focus on qualifications. Which means move job often and spend more time doing qualifications than long hours doing work. It's not valued, so you should take the same approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

For most businesses labour costs make up the highest proportion of outgoings, unless income increases, giving automatic pay rises reduces profits, so it doesn’t take much business acumen to see why employers don’t automatically give pay rises to everyone. You could argue that by not increasing everyone’s wage automatically, you risk losing good employees, which is a fair assumption, but in this case it appears they gave a wage increase to the employee they want to keep, the same may or may not be true for the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Get out there, do some interviews, get some offers.

You might just end up leaving anyway - but you need to show you are serious.

If you do negotiate - do it without reference to other employees compensation. It all about you, your value, how you value yourself and how much it will cost them to replace you (when you show them that this is a serious possibility).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I used to work with a colleague who was earning €20K less than what I was on several years before in a different company in the same job. He was happy in the job and took the pay increases as they came. I tried to get him to look around as he was on lower than what should have been easily available elsewhere. He was comfortable, and the company knew it. He did a good job and took what was offered so why would the company offer more. It's not personal. They want to get their resource as cheap as possible.

For me, I have changed jobs a few times over the last 10 years and I'm earning double (well a little bit more than double) what I was on in 2012. If I'd stayed with the company I'd probably have gotten the 2% or 3% raise each year. It's much easier to get a 10% or 20% bump when moving to a different company.

I've been upskilling as well and moving the career along but if I'd stayed in the same place I know what my wages would be (as I know some of the guys still there).

So fair play to your colleague. He's doing what he can for himself. That's what you need to do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

regarding the OP - grow a pair and demand to know whats going on. Get them to tell you why the other person got a raise.

It's hard to overstate how bad this advice is. The OP is trying to convince them that he's a valuable team member. Walking in and dropping a data breach on your boss' desk is not doing it right.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Expecting an employer to discuss another persons salary with you or to justify their decision on granting them a salary increase is childish at best. The employer is not going to violate the other person's privacy rights to satisfy you.

And as for under valued.... the OP has already tried to get a increase and failed - so it a fair bet the employer has valued him at what he is worth to them. And they are very unlikely to be impressed by the approach you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

There is nothing like interview practice and getting yourself out there to see your real value.

I encourage my staff to do it when they are unhappy. "Get out there and market test yourself. Good for the soul, and maybe you'll realise you've got it good, or maybe you'll be able to prove to me that I have." ... it's not adversarial, it works, and if the person does leave it's usually on friendly terms (and rarely due to money).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭dennyk

Because a pay rise is a known and permanent increase in labour costs going forward, whereas the risk that an employee might decide they are underpaid and leave for a better offer is just that, a risk. It might happen, or said employee might be like the OP and be content with carrying on at their current salary for years. If the latter is the case, then giving that employee a raise would be a waste of money and cut into your profits for no reason.

As soon as that risk becomes a certainty and a key employee actually has a better offer in hand, well, that changes the equation entirely; now it actually might be worth that extra labour costs to keep that employee on board.

Now, this is purely from a business perspective (and a rather shortsighted one at that), not an ethical perspective, of course. It would certainly be more "fair" to give your good employees decent pay rises and keep their pay at or above market levels. However, capitalism doesn't run on "fair"; it runs on keeping costs as low as possible and revenues as high as possible to maximise short-term profit growth. If the bean-counters have calculated that keeping salaries low is more likely to improve said profits in the short term despite a higher risk of employee turnover, then that's what most businesses will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I'd lay money on it that he had an offer from another company and they matched or improved it. That how he got the pay rise.

You make big deal that he has less experience that you but you have 7 years he has 6, 3 would be plenty. Get out and get a new job, don't take an offer to stay. Take your time and get the right new job for you.

Advertisement