Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bilberry - Embarrassing Road for Greenway Tourism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Has this been the usual over run or are they open again now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

They are flying on this project. The new stone wall section by the Stanley site is fantastic and the road there will be really wide with a wide cycle path.

They have also knocked the wall by a section of the shipyard and put the wall foundations down there too. You can see where it's going to lead into the section that'll be over the river opposite the halting site. Looks like they'll soon be starting that bit over the river.

They start around 7 in he mornings and are usually working till 7 in the evening plus some Saturdays as well.

It will transform that whole area for sure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I would be grateful if people could post some pics.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

any source that doesn't require a instagram account to view?

• Advertisement

I've attached a couple that I took passing by one day a while ago.

Took a few more.....just quick phone snaps but might still be nice to see and give an idea of the scale of the project. You can see where they will launch onto the new platform over the river now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Looks fantastic, lets hope they do as good a job the whole way up to the clock tower. I'm really interested to see how they tackle the junction at the bridge, hopefully they reallocate some road space to walking/cycling instead of shunting everyone up onto the footpath like the council have a reputation for doing.

The new stone wall is a fantastic job. Buildiing it using the stone from the original wall.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thanks for the photos, looking good!

I'm also very interested how they manage Rice Bridge junction, it's an extremely uninviting junction at present for either entering or leaving Waterford

• Advertisement

Whats their plan to go from Grattan's quay to Merchant's Quay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Found this PDF about the plan, albeit from 3 years ago. Doesn't seem to be a lot different at the bridge. It's on page 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Valhalla90

Great pics! From my understanding the left slip road onto Rice Bridge will be removed allowing the greenway then to just have one road crossing onto the other side and on towards Merchant's Quay.

Few more from today.

Should really improve the link to the quays, they just need to rework how the cycle route uses the quays now.

I think ideally it should be a side-by-side lane that runs along the river away from the road, this would be far more inviting to familys etc and far, far safer. If you are designing a cycle route you really have to design it from the viewpoint of "is this safe for a 8 year old to cycle" and the current bit of paint running down the road is a joke.

Problem is, they'd have to take space from the carparks to do this design properly and I can't see the owners doing that without a massive fight!

Whats the plan for the main depot section that they are using at the moment (opposite Waters Gate). There are a couple of derelict houses and a little bit of land there.

Its not a huge area so I wonder what they will do with it. Hopefully not houses anyway or if it is to be houses, at least they'll hopefully be nice ones. It would be terrible to have invested in the new link and then have sub standard houses at the entrance to the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Imagine that council using some grey matter…must be a first…..old walls usually get knocked and stone discarded or crushed etc….😡

I think if you look at the pdf link posted above you will see that once the rice bridge section is crossed the route appears to head for the car parks and follow the glass wall all the way to clock tower area…..if council own the car parks it’s hardly a big deal to take a few spaces etc….?

The council don't own the car parks. But the spaces are being taken. I have no idea what form that took, straight purchase, CPO or whatever. But some early steps have already been taken around the Clock Tower by the car park owner and notices up that some spaces will be lost, with accompanying rise in weekly ticket prices.

Don’t quite understand your last sentence what notices etc etc. Rise in weekly ticket prices etc etc…?

• Advertisement

The clock tower car park owners put up notices about how they will be losing some spaces, so are increasing prices on pre-paid tickets for the car park.

Surprised to hear these car parks on the Quay get full.

Terrible use of space thats ugly as hell for the city, if the number of carparks were reduced and the space turned into a park it would be far nicer.

I know Wexford have a different vista but they did a fantastic job on their quay. It hosts events like Spiegeltent and other functions throughout the year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

On a separate note has anyone seen the councils designs for the roundabout at Farronshoneen? (think thats how its spelt). More shared cycle/footpaths and cyclists either being shunted onto the road or led onto the footpath which is illegal for them to use. Brutal design and doesn't do anything to help active travel. Its open for public submission now on the council website.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Valhalla90

Ref to Farronshoneen Roundabout, this is going to be some mess if it goes ahead! The pedestrian crossing is going to hold up the cars on the roundabout exactly like the Hospital Roundabout. I know this might not be popular but I believe the removal of the roundabout here and put in a traffic light controlled junction would be better and would be safer for pedestrians/cyclists and it would keep the vehicles moving when green instead of being stuck on the roundabout or its approaches. What they are proposing is not going to work!

There's enough space at that roundabout to do a proper dutch style job and do it right the first time. Of course that would be too progressive an idea to consider.

This is hardly the place to be Bringing up proposals for this roundabout it’s a bit off topic.

In any case from a quick look at the drawing I wouldn’t envisage much change/inconvenience to motorists apart from during the construction phase. Ultimately it could mean a few more seconds stuck in a queue of traffic……it’s not like Waterford people have to endure any real proper ‘traffic jams’ like Dublin/London….?

• Advertisement

what da eff is a ‘proper dutch style job’…..?

Advertisement