Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to tell if a new desktop PC is a dud?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I suggest coming at it from an angle of it not being suitable for the purpose for which it was sold. The ASAI, useless shower that they are, will come to late to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Certainly nothing to be lost in trying.

But advertising in this country seems a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Sorry if I went on a playstation tangent but the exchange just went that way. You said 'gaming is all he wants' and didn't mention his xbox and with that in mind I think my advice was perfectly reasonable. Anyway.

I don't think the PC is faulty but its simply not fit for purpose. You could argue the two are the same thing and that would be my angle if I was making a case for returning the thing.

A 4GB RAM PC with current windows and a few addons installed like antivirus will simply be THAT slow. You would be able to tweak it to some degree, but it will only ever be barely fit for purpose.

Try to return it or if that doesn't work increase RAM, even 8GB would make a big difference. Additionally replace the hard disc with an SSD if it doesn't already have one (I assume not). With those two changes it will be decent for every day tasks even some basic coding.

But it will never be fit for any gaming except very basic stuff and for any games like overwatch he will have to use a console or else get a much more expensive PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

In this case, he is right. This PC does not have a graphic card so it is using part of that RAM for graphics. The higher the resolution and the more complex a program, the more memory will be used for graphics. That causes swapping to the HD. Replacing the mechanical HD with an SSD does not fix the problem of the PC simply not having enough RAM. It merely makes the swapping to HD faster.

Also some older motherboards have only two RAM slots and can max out at 16GB.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

OP, how much did you research into the PC before buying it?

Looking back at the comments, I would hazard a guess and say not very much.

Either way, that PC isn't really suitable for what your child wants, unless all they want is a negative PC experience.

Overwatch play requires a MINIMUM of an i3, but the developers recommend an i5 - meaning that playing with an i3 isnt good.

For the next time you consider buying a PC, please ask someone who knows about these things. They will give you good, informed advice, and you are less likely to run into issues like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Quandary

Install an SSD

install at least another 4gb ram, dual running 4gb sticks if possible. Getting rid of the 4gb stick and buying twin 8gb dimms would be better again

Install a fresh install of windows 10 onto the SSD. Do not install windows on the 1TB HDD. Do not use recovery media that might have come with the pc. It has to be a clean install of windows, nothing else. After the install apply the latest windows updates.

If you do this I can almost guarantee the pc will be a different beast. it will never be suitable for gaming but most other tasks should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

No-one should be buying a laptop with a spinning HDD in 2022. SSD is a minimum spec item these days. As other have said, put a SSD in it and the difference will be night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

Hurray - Argos agreed to refund me!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

you could do with an extra 12gb of ram, the processor is not gaming level but is fine for web stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

yeah that's a terrible ad, should be minimum 8gb for light work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Delighted for you.

Please do ask those in the know about the right specced PC for your child's gaming needs.

Some of the advice you've been given here has been absolutely shocking, and serves to confuse and disinform more than cater for your needs.

You might go down the route of getting someone to build a gaming PC. There are plenty of folks who can do this, and would charge a modest fee for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Get another 8gig ram , put it in the 2nd ram slot or buy 2 8gig ram modules they should be the same type spec as the current 4 gig ram module the problem is windows os takes up most of the ram memory leading to low loading of websites there's nothing wrong with that pc, it's under specced re memory if I was buying a new pc I'd expect at least 16 gig ram

Due to supply chain problems even basic graphics cards are expensive not a great time to build a gaming pc

I'd be inclined to buy a ps4 on adverts ie make sure and test it before you pay for it

A pc with 8 or 16 gig ram will play Minecraft fine or older pc games eg not the latest fps 3d games

don't buy a game without looking at minimum specs ram graphics card type

Touch metal water tap or frame to discharge static electricity eg or you, ll damage the ram modules

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If you look at the minimum specs, eg video card, ram, processor, eg Intel, and cpu type, for a game your child wants to play it'll give you an idea of the pc you would want to buy . I think for gaming a second hand ps4 would be cheaper to buy and it works on any TV with hdmi interface older tvs only have 1080 or 1080i video display.

Advertisement