Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah, but it's pointless comparing him to two players who will never play for Ireland again. You could just as easily compare him to ROG and Humphreys.

I don't see an alternative. Carbery has done more in an Irish jersey than Carty, that I'd indisputable IMO, Sexton is injured, Carbery is the right choice.

Jack should get some decent game time over the next two matches now as well as I doubt Ireland will rush Sexton back for Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Neither did Jackson though. He was not great on that tour to SA and he never came close to ousting Sexton. You made a reference to Madigan above which I found hilarious, he's the original poster boy for gaining maximum hype with very questionable substance.

Carbery might not be as good as we hoped he would be back in 2016/17 but he's the best we have. We just have to get on with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I expect one of Healy or Crowley to unseat Carberry. Mainly because he's injured a lot and can't get a run of matches together.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Don't agree with you at all re: jackson. he was quite good on that tour, although he made some mistakes that cost in the end. Madigan was also in very good form in the season leading into the WC. If MOC hadn't brought in Gopperth and backed him fully, I think he would have benefited. Water under the bridge now tho.

Post edited by AbusesToilets on

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dockysher

Yes sexton has being the best number 10 Ireland ever had and best in world for a few years. but reality is he is old, very old at international stage now and too injury prone. yes he is still our best number 10 but its time to move on. I am confident we will perform and hopefully beat france without him. Too many people caught up on sexton and we cant win big games without him. Reality is he too old and injury prone to play major role in world cup and even tho his suceessors are not as good or proven at international level at moment it really is time to move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Christ can we talk about other team next besides the out half situation, there will be 14 other irish men too

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dockysher

I agree. We have so many world class players

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Happy enough with the other 14 selected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭ersatz

Everyone’s disappointed that Sexton won’t play at the weekend because we have a very good shot at France if we play our game well. We’ll see if Carbery can fit in and click with JGP and Aki’s distribution and the style of back play that’s developed. I suspect part of the reason Farrell is playing this way is because he needs a game plan that works without Sexton and with a more limited ten. If Joey has a good start, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

The loop plays are all well and good, but England have worked them out in the past, just ignoring dummy runners and in the process making Sexton look like a chump getting caught well behind the line.

France have a great defensive coach who probably has the loop around sussed. My point is, this type of play can generally be figured out, and the other teams will have enough over 2 or 3 games to figure out the tells between a flat pass and a pass in behind. I'm not sure this type of play is sustainable when overused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

1 start against a tier 1 nation in 4 years = being given plenty of chances...I shudder to think what you consider being given little game time amounts too....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Working out loop plays is not the issue. When executed properly they are almost impossible to defend and stop teams from getting over the gain line. It's a difficult skill to master though. The issue Ireland had in the past was that 'dummy' runners were not being respected. Timing was off with runners which allowed teams to just ignore and shoot up and hit us behind the gain line.

Problem for teams facing Ireland at the moment are that they have to respect our runners. We have a pack who are all capable of making that short pass on the gain line to put someone through and we are full of big ball carriers. Our dummy runners are all viable options and we are mixing it brilliantly. If France 'ignore' the dummy runners on Saturday, they are going to find themselves running back towards their own try line a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well by a "couple of years" I mean the forthcoming world cup. I'd rather give Carty this game as I think it's more likely he ends up starting key matches when it matters the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There is a key match this weekend.

He isn't starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

For me, it's his durability. I don't see him getting through a tournament either. But you're making a lot of sense in terms of his ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

He's closed off games against the abs (who notoriously ramp it up towards the end of games) from out half. I don't think your giving him enough credit. He's never really played badly for Ireland.

Jackson a waste of time comparison he won't play for Ireland again you may as well compare him to Dan carter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'm not comparing him to Jackson as a player, the point is that he was demanding game time with his performances in a way that Carbery never has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

The only game he "closed off" was the 2016 game, in which he came on around 60 minutes and was excellent.

In 2018 he came on with a minute to go, and we never actually had the ball, we just defended for the rest of the match. He didn't have to do anything.

In 2021 he kicked a great goal from the halfway line. But in his first touch in attack he got in a mix up with Conway, where he tried to cut inside when Conway was running an inside line and they sort of bounced into each other. Luckily Conway managed to get out of trouble because he could very easily have got caught behind the gainline and turned over, and at that point a penalty to NZ could have been devastating. That was pretty much the sum of his involvements with the ball. Because most of the last 15 of that game was us defending.

He wasn't particularly impressive in any of his 3 starts last year (and if you can't look good against a weakened USA team...). I've no idea how he got MOTM v Argentina. He wasn't particularly impressive when he started v Australia in 2018 either.

What I will say is he owes Farrell a big performance, because he's shown an incredible amount of faith in him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

And 3 potentially world class u23 10s sitting on the bench for their provinces most weeks.”

I see where you’re coming from on the overall point TRC, but the reality is both Healy and Crowley have more minutes for Munster this season than Carbery due to Carbery’s contnued injury issues. As long as those issues persist, Healy and Crowley will continue to get enough time in the short-term at least.

Equally, it seems like Harry Byrne is 3rd choice in Farrell's mind. The fact he's 3rd choice at Leinster is a bigger issue with regards Ireland than who is 2nd choice at Munster, given they're further down the pecking order.

I don't see either of Crowley or Healy moving before, at least, the end of next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Healy and Crowley have more minutes for Munster this season than Carbery due to Carbery’s contnued injury issues.

This is true. Which begs the question, why is Farrell putting all of his eggs in the basket of an injury prone 10?. I'd wager the chances of Carbery making it through 5 World Cups games, isn't much better than the chances of a 38 year old Sexton making it.

My worry though is the "big minutes" i.e. European Knockouts and URC playoffs will go to Carbery, when from a Munster point of view, Healy has been the best performing out half this season.

And let's not pretend Carbery didn't have an injury free spell from February to December to show what he could do. He did, and the reality is, he didn't do much.

The problem at Leinster is Sexton plays the big games, and when Sexton isn't around (which is very often), Ross Byrne (who we know isn't good enough) plays all the URC games. So there's more minutes that could be going to a young out half, gone.

Connacht are very settled with Carty, who is the form 10 in Ireland and should be starting tomorrow.

At Ulster, there's the situation with Burns playing every week and nobody challenging him, which I think is a big problem that needs to be addressed.

And then at Munster there's the obvious massive backlog of very good young 10s, but all of them will be behind an injury prone one who has never really impressed after the 6N.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Yeah, you'd have to say there are some selections around the provinces that don't exactly help Farrell in his quest to turn Ireland into a major player as a rugby nation. Argentina and Scotland have made it to the last four in World Cups, but not Eire. He's doing a pretty good job so far. They play a really vibrant, enterprising, effective and adaptable brand of rugby in attack, and, since Farrell's come in, they're finally able to mix it with the big boys when it comes to having aggressive, physical and oppressive defence. I remember the bad old days of passive, reactive defending under Kiss. That autumn international against South Africa in 2014... Ireland had to use tricks like not engaging them in the maul to starve them of possession. Any time the Springboks were able to go through a few phases all they had to do to make huge gains was pass it wide. Now Ireland are comfortable defending. That's because of Farrell's influence.

Getting back to the question of provincial selections, there are definitely some of those happening. Leinster select Ross Molony ahead of Ryan Baird, and Ross Byrne ahead of Harry Byrne. It's understandable, I suppose. There's just not the same incentive to make really progressive selections because you're facing the likes of Bath and Munster rather than teams of the calibre of Wales, France, England, South Africa or NZ. The 'steady' players, for want of a better word, are good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Would a thread to discuss the 10 situation be a good idea?

I don't want to stop the discussion but it completely dominates here and prevents other topics. 3 or 4 posts about something else but then inevitably Outhalf comes up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Just a reflection of the great place Irish rugby is in right now.

Imagine a few months ago you were told that a fit Robbie Henshaw would be named at 23 for a 6ns game now.

You'd expect or predict that this place would be talking about nothing else other than what a contaversial decision that was.

I think the last few pages here highlights no more than what most already agree on. Sexton is not easily replaced, and we're not quite as feared without him.

We're still feared though. You can be guaranteed that France and other teams are fully aware of how much more Ireland are than Johnny Sexton.

If I was to quantify it, I think with Carbery in for Sexton, we lose at most 5% of our overall potential to win any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I believe it was Smith who signed Gopperth. Hoist by his own petard in a way there, although, if you ask me, there's no question Gopperth was the superior outhalf.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We could cut Out Half the posts with a separate thread

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

What's great about the way Ireland are playing is that there are no "dummy" runners as such. Everyone who runs a line is a potential try scorer, whether that be our heavy flankers, either of the two centres, the wing on the outside or even the first receiver themselves. You can defend against dummy runs if you know that they are dummy runners, but if all players are a credible threat you will be stretched in the defensive line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Killer, Casey, O'Toole, Hume, Timoney Heffernan, Lowry and....is POM skating or limping?

and Baird looking huge. Shoulders as wide as the tunnel

https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/1492090595996839937?s=20&t=8eDzx5MjHwf7JruVhnzQhg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Great cover tbf. I imagine it was a very last minute change from Sexton to Carbery. Also, they picked a very timid picture of poor Joey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Loosing Furlong would be far more detrimental to our chances. Ireland's attack is still heavily reliant on set piece.

I wonder will Ryan pack down on the LH side. Porter v Antonio and Willemse.

Good analysis of the tries v Wales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ29SdwosM8

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

This is true. Which begs the question, why is Farrell putting all of his eggs in the basket of an injury prone 10?. I'd wager the chances of Carbery making it through 5 World Cups games, isn't much better than the chances of a 38 year old Sexton making it.

Little disagreement there. I said as much when the November squad was announced that with Sexton, Carbery and H. Byrne, Farrell was picking probably our 3 most injury prone 10's.

My worry though is the "big minutes" i.e. European Knockouts and URC playoffs will go to Carbery, when from a Munster point of view, Healy has been the best performing out half this season.

I go back to my original point here; they'll only go to Carbery if he's fit, and that remains a big if. If you look at their minutes in the 4 Champions Cup games already this season:

Carbery: 72

Healy: 136

Crowley: 117

Advertisement