Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We can see the contact though... imo both should be pens.

For some reason there's always been this weird stupid thing that any late challenge that hits a player after they shoot is fine. If the exact same thing happens, but Mo has passed instead of shot before being taken down, it's seen as a late challenge and a foul. It's like it's accepted by refs that getting a shot away = advantage, which obviously is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's incredible.

at no point last night was I worried, because those two were absolutely sensational.

i feel as though Thiago has got to grips with the pace of the league now. there are far fewer moments where he gets caught taking a touch too many in the wrong area - as in I don't think it really happens now. and his positional sense is out of this world - Wijnaldum-like in how he can cover passing lanes, but then he has everything else about him that make him an absolute joy.

it is no coincidence that last night was comfortable when they were imperious, and Van Dijk looked truly back to his best. that is some spine. and when I say VVD was at his best, I know it was because he has that heir of someone who is actively getting angry at opposing players who are making him run.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Look at the amount of fouls given after a defender clears the ball and then a slightly raised foot or slight touch from the player closing them down. It's giving someone license to absolutely clatter an opponent.

i hope Curtis Jones has a look at how Thiago played last night, and how Elliott tried to play last night (wasn't quite as effective as the weekend, understandably).

Curtis has what it takes to be an important of the squad moving forward, but he was to learn when is the right time to hold the ball, and when is the right time to pass it. It has to be more instinctive. he takes far too long to decide whether to pass, dribble or dribble and shoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Our right side still looks a little to open at times,

Especially when it was Matip , Trent, Elliot, Salah ,

I love Joel but i think we need more pace on that side of defence or Henderson as the RCM ,

Just feels it can be got at a little easily ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Tipical liverpool luck though.

Top team for years, slip up just at the wrong time when money starts to come into football and slip backwards.

Started to get it together and chelsea start spending a fortune. slip back.

Get it sorted, win the champions league in a miracle and have owners that havnt a clue miss out on the opportunity to kick on playing wise and financially drop back, nearly go bust.

Finally get it together again with the best manager in the world and up against a country and the most expensive squad ever assembled. missout on league even though our points total would have won it any other year .

Overcome that and finally win the dam league and cant properly celebrate it and benift financially due to covid.

Have a real chance of retaining it and get all our centre backs injuried.

But by gob I love watching this team, they are a joy to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Neil Atkinson from The Anfield Wrap has previously talked of when players come to the Premier League and realize that so many of the teams and players are actually pretty poor, the "These are sh*t" moment as he puts it. It happened with Torres, Suarez & Salah for example. It looks like Diaz has by passed that and has gone straight in knowing he'll be faster, stronger and too skilful for a lot of the Premier League fullbacks. Hope I'm right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Diaz needs to go on the weights I think! He looks very slim.

But needs to retain his speed and agility, something that can be difficult to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

10 games between now and the International break on March 20th

At the end of this period, we could be in CL QF, in FA Cup QF, have a cup under our belts, and be within touching distance of City

or our season could be in ribbons.

It's high-stakes stuff, and it's great that the squad looks as deep and on form as it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I thought he was plenty aggressive and well able to get stuck in. Don't think his frame was a problem, he will face better full backs though.

Just looking at the fixtures of the top 3, the next 4 weeks or so are going to be key to the title race. We could really do with City dropping points in one of those games to give the squad another glimmer of hope.

The softer CL draw for City allows for some some resting periods there too.

I was impressed with how quickly Robbo & Diaz went form looking like there first game together in the first 20 minutes to looking like they had done it for years after that ,

We would be ahead of City if we had Thiago fit, the control him and Fabinho give is world class when they play together. As far as I'm concerned he's the reason we got CL football last season as he remained fit. He could do the same for our title hopes this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Exciting times. I can't remember a time when we had so many quality options all over the pitch, with so few injuries. Is it just Origi at the moment? *Touches wood*.

If we can go on a run and City have a little wobble anything is possible. Although, honestly, I would be happy with winning both domestic cups. I don't want us to look back on the Klopp era and only have the two major trophies as a sign of how good we were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Hopefully Origi will be fit for the CL Final 😁

For this very reason it really annoys me that Alisson won't be starting the cup final

A domestic trophy is worth more to the club and the fan base than keeping Kelleher happy, Should be the strongest possible 11

In the professional game i don't see any room for decision made on sentiment,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Only got to see the first half of the match yesterday but we seemed to be fairly all over them, was it more of the same in the second half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I think a big reason for the controlled comfort of old once we went ahead was the form of Fab, he was my man of the match last night and with Thiago beside him is just so composed when needed. If you look back at the Palace, Brighton and Chelsea games in particular. The Chelsea and Palaces games were Fab's poorest performances for us in a long long time and I think he missed the Brighton game. Add in then that Thiago was not playing for all those games and the midfield was way worse off for it.

I've also noticed over the past year or so that teams have kinda figured Henderson out in the middle. He's bar far our most aggressive presser around the middle but teams now know if they can beat his hugely aggressive press it can leave our right side wide open as TAA is often very high up the pitch at that point. How that is address in the long term I don't know but we looked so much better in the final 30minutes of the game with Thiago, Fab and Elliot on the right. It was safely the only time this season where I was comfortable that we weren't going to conceded.

Personally i think we look more open without Hendo as the RCM,

The second half was more dominant than the first half really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I believe some S&C coaches get athletes to focus on the concentric part of weight lifts but avoid the eccentric aspect (say using a trap bar deadlift as an example of where this can be done.) In simple terms, they benefit from working the fast twitch muscle but don't get the bulk of too much additional heavy muscle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

After all the complaining over squad depth (including me), the squad is looking pretty bloody balanced right now.

you could argue we need proper competition for Trent and Salah, but you can't really replace pretty much the best players in the world in their respective positions - you may just have to find other ways to do it, like we did without Salah and Mane for a few games.

Fully fit, we actually can't complain about the depth. this management team saw Harvey Elliott coming this soon, and fair fúcks to them. people including myself couldn't believe we didn't directly replace him, if only for the amount of games he represented. but the management have stood firm to their strategy, and that's why they're pretty much the best in the world at this, and have proven it over a number of years now, and why i'm little more than a moany fan who is desperate for success 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How so?

I genuinely can't find the contact. I see Sterling making a decision, ''forget the ball'' he leaves it behind, then throws out his right leg into the boot of the Brentford player, then falls like he was tackled heavily from the rear.

The only contact was Sterling throwing a leg out and toe poking the foot of the Brentford player.

Salah on the other hand was wiped out, could argue it would be a red if it happened in different circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

The thing with the Salah one, for whatever reason ther're never given. I don't think I've every seen a player awarded a penalty for been taken out of it after he gets his shot away. The fact that it wasn't even discussed in commentary or in the studio after the game just highlights this even further.

Sterling one is always gong to be given, defender lunges in from behind and misses the ball. Contact is only slight but the fact the tackle is from behind and he doesn't get near the ball and makes contact with the player, that's a peno all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’m kind of in awe of Harvey Elliott to be honest. The last player as young as him to properly break into the first team was Trent but Harvey’s done it a year earlier and his decision making for an 18 year old is simply out of this world, it’s way ahead of Trent’s at the same age.

He’s just come back from a horrible ankle break and walks straight back into the first team for two sub appearances and instantly improved the team. He only played half an hour against Cardiff but for me he was Man of the Match in that short time.

What I’m most looking forward to is seeing him play in the Champions League as he got injured just days before the first match against AC Milan. There doesn’t seem to be much buzz at all about him outside of England (or even Liverpool, for the most part) but I’ve a feeling he’s about to make a huge impression on the European scene in the coming weeks.

He’s frighteningly talented for his age, but the most impressive thing is how he already has the basics at a level you’d normally only see from a player in their prime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't think even Gerrard looked as good when he broke into the team. Gerrard was full of energy and drive but lacking in other areas, Elliot has both of those but also seems to have a real maturity about him.

If he turns out to be half as good as Gerrard he'll be a great player to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Jones actually reminds me more of Gerrard as a youngster, bucket loads of talent but the decision making and footballing brain not quite there yet. I don’t think Jones has quite as much ability as Gerrard did at that age or that he’ll ever develop into a permanent fixture in the team but he has every chance to succeed if he’s willing to put the work in.

Harvey, as you said as well, is just on a different level at this stage. There isn’t a player I’ve seen come through at Liverpool I could even compare him to, but I could see Elliott on a similar trajectory to Phil Foden. Stylistically they’re very similar, and I hate giving any credit to Man City but he’s the only other midfielder I’ve seen in the last few years as good at that age, and he’s pretty much world class now at just 21. Elliott can’t match him for pace and likely never will but I’d love to think he can be as good a player as him, and I don’t see any reason he can’t be.

At the same age Gerrard has more ability than Jones, more confidence than Jones , more spite than Jones & more drive than Jones

To compare Jones to Gerrard is unfair on Jones not many midfielders in world football can compare to Gerrard at any age, he was a real force of nature ,

Jones is more like a central McManaman , he has bags of talent but doesn't always show it, in my eyes he needs to become more urgent & direct & take less touches,

Mane was walking out onto the training pitch this morning with a swagger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

He is so mature in his play for his age, the level of patience and decision making is extremely rare at his age. The way he has come back in after a bad injury is so impressive, way ahead of Jones too as I said last week.

Provided he keeps his feet on the ground he can be a starter for the next 10 years for Liverpool, special special talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I agree that Allison should be starting. But I don't think Klopp is going with Kelleher for sentiment alone. I get the sense that they think he is perhaps too good to be a number two, and if he doesn't get game-time he will leave.

Is it in the rules, late tackles in the box no penalties if player shoot first. Doubt it, maybe it is. But if it's not then it's a pen. Sterling looked for it, zero contact from behind, things like this have not been given this season, higher threshold , that seemed very very weak.

I really don't get where this narrative off him bieng to good for number two comes from ,

He is great with the ball at his feet & at pens but his shot stopping is still not on the level required in my opinion,

His strengths may not be shows if he l eaves and goes to a club lower down the table or championship , he suits a team like us,

• Advertisement

Maybe, but lots of certain 3pt homes games he never starts, when he probably should, rather see Kelleher in the two upcoming Norwich games, than a final. Alisson seems to play every league game full stop when fit. Would like to see Kelleher get time, with Alisson on bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

You could say that Kelleher is there on merit, not on sentiment. He did save the penos that got us to the final, and could face more of the same.

Aside from that you would have the backlash of publicly reversing a decision about a player's place in final. Ramifications of such a move are too risky for Klopp to countenance I imagine. So, the decision is not based on sentiment alone, by a good margin.

Kelleher will be playing the final on merit. That is an important message to send out to the rest of the fringe players. Klopp doesn't care all that much about the league cup anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I would say it's more he's the right number two for us and in klopps eye's has earned this position.

He plays in such a way that the rest of the team is not affected. We saw the danger of that in recent years.

He wants to be part of the Liverpool set up but he has to show ambition. Klopp would want that ambition. If klopp cant work with that ambition then hes right to leave but if klopp works with his ambition then he seems happy to stay.

He's not as good as Alisson but a better keeper might not have the previous 2 requirements or could have some other issue that could disrupt the best keeper in the world.

Klopp likes what hes got in kelleher so klopp makes the call

Thiago and Fab have only played together as a midfield partnership 17 times.

Liverpool have won 16 and drawn 1 of those 17 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Elliot has surprised me, he's looked brilliant, both physically and mentally precocious really, advanced beyond their years. A really exciting prospect, but has shown he can make an impact here and now.

Kelleher is similar, he's not as good as Allison but what goalie in the league, indeed in Europe is? He won't let us down, he's shown that, and long term for the club as well as the player he needs exposure to big games. I've no problem with him playing the League Cup games, including the final, he had a big part of us getting there, so don't pull the rug from under him, he's earned it. It's not sentimental, it's just fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It's **** Elliott with two Ts! /angry face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I don't think anyone expected Jota to be as good as he is. I thought he'd be a good back up but he's well and truly a starter now. As others have said its gas i was one of the ones giving out about squad depth and all of a sudden we seem fairly well set in that regard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Jota is a true poacher for us. Only thing I would like him to do, is stop shooting dead centre at the goal and sometimes find the sides. He would score an awful lot more goals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement