Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow release manure?

Options
  • 10-02-2022 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

We are looking to get some slow-release manure for our beach hedge planted in November 2020. Is there such a thing?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Drums of chicken **** pellets are your man.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭boardtc

I was reading at https://www.landscapedepot.ie/product/organic-chicken-manure-pellets-10kg-bucket/ that they have Constant feed flow based on ‘slow release’ (slowed-down release of nutrients, resulting in a long-term effect and high level of effectiveness). Ideal so.

Post edited by boardtc on

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Exiled1

As Slim Pickens said 'chicken ****.'

It's not that straight forward it turns out. I looked into one in my local woodies:

https://www.woodies.ie/westland-10kg-organic-chicken-manure-tub-1042366       

Westland informed me: "These chicken manure pellets are not slow release, the only other feed we have that is a six month feed is the Gro-Sure all purpose six month feed. Chicken manure pellets are rich in organic matter which is great for soil improvement and enrichment. They break down slowly into the soil but are not classed as slow release"

Post edited by boardtc on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Monty swears by chicken ****, if its good enough for Monty......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

Chicken pellets are nitrogen which I believe are not a prolonged release of nutrients They would only be good to bring on the fresh growth of the leaves

old cow or horse manure is best and will nourish the soil

feed your soil not the plants

try not to use artificial either if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Do you know if the Westland pellets are certified organic? I've read that you can use the word without it actually being so.

I did email them back with that question, I take from their lack of response that's it's not certified!

Has anyone come across any chicken manure pellets that are actually slow-release, i.e. a multi month feed rather than breaking down slowly into the soil?

Advertisement