Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

HB line is very average. I would be really worried about that line.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Disappointing Gavin didnt recover after being hacked down last week. His speed would be badly needed tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Once we got to grips with the conditions, we certainly clicked through the gears, though you'd worry about teams running straight at us again in a much closer game. Could do without the Soccer AM antics from the stands, mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,757 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Well done Kerry can't argue with that result. But like other posters have said, when Kerry comes up against a side that knows how to attack Kerry could be in trouble. But if the Kerry forward causes havoc against teams it won't make much of a difference. But the Kerry midfield was good today. Which I have not heard said since back when Moran was a top player for Kerry.

Attack is definitely Kerry's best form of defence I think. Just go for teams.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

Always great to get a win against the dubs. But they were terrible so I wouldn’t be getting too carried away.

Big positives were Midfield and especially Diarmuid O Connor. I still believe we would have won an All Ireland last year if he was the primary midfielder. His speed of thinking is way ahead of anyone else. His quick kick pass from the sideline ball for the goal is what created the goal. He has everything required to be a top class midfielder.

Full Back line were excellent defensively and dealt well with a few high balls very well. Half back line were great going forward but weren’t tested really defensively.

Spillane put in a massive shift. He would throw himself in front of a bus for the team to be fair. Moynihan also good in both attack and defence.

Sean O Shea played as more of a worker then an out and out forward. I think rotating him between the half forward line and full forward line would be a better use of his talents. Clifford excellent even with the missed penalty. Geaney was ok, kicked 4 wides with his 2 points. His 4 wides were all from difficult angles and he needs to learn to rework it to a player in a better position.

Second half was poor but conditions were bad and Kerry had obviously switched down a few gears which is understandable.

I agreed with this statement Bass but I'm very happy we were both wrong. Think the 3 of them did very well and Begley was a MOTM contender for me. I thought he was top class.

Great to get a win. Worrying we only kicked a point in 2nd half but looked relatively solid defensively at least.

Off to bed before Gneeveguilla huge match tomorrow. What a journey those boys have taken us on. A win tomorrow really would be dream stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Will Kerry ever say “well done Tyrone” you deserved your all Ireland, instead of constantly banging on about “if we had this and that we would have won”?

genuinely curious

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Of course they won't

But neither would anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

The general consensus and post match views of mayo fans from September 2021 suggest otherwise

• Advertisement

Well done Tyrone. They deserved their all Ireland. Congrats.

Kerry people never have any issue with any county beating them. Tyrone were he better team.on the day and deserve there win. Ok.

However Kerry people reflect on why Tyrone win. They have harsh judgement on both the players and management that day, especially with the management and what happend on the day and before it.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

i would have to disagree with you there Bass Tyrone had more scores on the board than Kerry and so deserved their win... how much possession Kerry have or havent and what they do or dont do with it is not Tyrones problem... saying we deserved to win the game because we had more possession and chances is rubbish... scores on the board are what counts... if tyrone had more scores from 30% possession than kerry with 70% possession than tyrone definitely deserve to win the match...

good to see the hype machine by all and sundry is in full flow after Kerrys win last nite on the 5th of February... seem to remember something similar going on last yr and we know how that panned out.... is it just me or is the media obsession with David Clifford at ridiculous levels?? he seems to have taken over from Aidan o'Shea who the media have been obsessed with for last few years.... what will it be like if this group of players actually win an All-ireland....

finally did anyone else think Jack o'connor came across as not being in the best of form in his interview with damien lawlor afterwards???

Sorry the predictive feature on my phone put in ''not after were'', I did not proof read it. Tyrone were better on the day. The point I was making was Kerry people look to where the mistake'd were made.

I take no notice of Kerry's win last night. Second half was a bit of a mismash in that Dublin were never going to recover but we made them look better than they were. Dublin will be in the relegation battle to the last match I think, I would not be surprised if they were relegated this year.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

Impossible to follow a game on radio Kerry, they don’t even know the correct score at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

is it just me or is the media obsession with David Clifford at ridiculous levels?? he seems to have taken over from Aidan o'Shea who the media have been obsessed with for last few years.... what will it be like if this group of players actually win an All-ireland....

Would you not agree that based on immediate current form, that David Clifford and Rian O'Neill are the most exciting players in the country right now, and probably the two best players from what we have seen on the opening matches of the league. If the media are praising him, surely he deserves it. They will be long enough on his back if his form takes a nosedive. The other Clifford sibling wouldn't be too far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

Absolutely David and Rian O’Neill are definitely the top 2 footballers in the country. O’Neill has only been noticed by many since the Dublin game but he has been operating at an incredibly high level definitely last year and even the year before at times. Kilkenny in my opinion is the closest to them, but I’m taking Clifford and O’Neill over him. For Kerry I would say David, Sean O’Shea and Tom O’Sullivan are our really top class players. Paudie is up there too, another season at the level he’s operating at and I think he’s on that level. Gavin White not far off too especially if he can refine certain aspects of his game. Diarmuid O’Connor’s trajectory is definitely in the right direction and he’s well on his way to reaching that level soon too.

I think our biggest problem is not our top class players or even the fellas just off the top, it's the lads making up the balance. Over the years we used to have players that came from n and were on the panel/ team 3-6 years. We no longer have that we tend to have players that are getting 10+ year careers that they spend a lot of time on the bench.

We should be turning these over for younger players. Fitzmaurice started that problem but it has continued on.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

David Clifford rested after his Sigerson exertions:

https://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/1494766036754776074

Certainly a much-improved counter-attacking performance compared with the second half against Dublin, even if Donegal offered very little. The overall structure looks to be coming on very well, and still plenty of time to look at midfield options once players return.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Donegal were shockingly bad. No direction or gameplan at all

We did a lot of good stuff. After HT we got 2-3 chances to take points but opted to overrun the ball. We sweated a bit when Donegal got 4 points in the row but ground out the result comfortably in the end.

Very near the championship team I expect. White and Been to come in as wing backs, and Clifford to start instead of Moynihan or Killian Spillane

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Ben O Connor supposed to be taking over as Ardfert hurling manager this year.

Unsurprisingly, the County Board is supporting the "Seán Kelly" Championship motion at Congress this weekend .

My brother can't make the game tomorrow so I have 1 spare season ticket if anyone has a good home for it.

Huge win. And I feel the score actually flatters Monaghan a bit.

Tadhg Morley was immense and seems to be the real deal at 6 now. Fantastic to see a proper defensive structure starting to appear also so they're clearly working on that.

Thought Dylan Casey did very well and I'd imagine himself and management are happy with his performance.

Sean O Shea, different gravy. Diarmuid O Connor had a huge game too.

I was happy to see McManus red card overturned but he was kept very quiet, Morley sweeping in front of him didnt give much chance of ball coming in and Foley did ok when he did get on the ball.

Good day and the table is nicely set up for the Mayo game in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

Defensively we are looking very solid even with changes in personnel. That indicates there is an actual structure which is great news. The big bucks being spent on Paddy Tally look to be paying off.

I thought O Beaglaoich was also excellent today, Brosnan looked sharp and Dara Moynihan had a big improvement.

I thought the pace to our forward play was A1. I feel Brosnan is a better option than Geaney for this reason.

Shane Murphy will most likely be back in goal for the Mayo game. If White or Breen are injury free they will also be back in the mix.

My biggest concern still is Moran being shoehorned back into midfield when he is back.

I like that Jack is dropping players like O Donoghue who is playing well and giving Casey a chance. It keeps everybody on their toes.

• Advertisement

I'd agree but didn't want it to look like I was mentioning the whole team lol.

I really hope we stick with the 2 Na Gaeil lads. They've both been superb. Moran could still have a role off the bench to come in late in a game and shore things up, though I dont think he actually has the brain to do that. It's a young mans game now and his time could be up.

Great to see Casey in, dont think O Donoghue was "dropped", more giving Casey game time and 35mins away to Monaghan is loads for a young lad getting his first start. I still think O Donoghue has done enough to be our 1st choice for championship.

And Murphy in goals, Ryan gives me heart palpitations.

Advertisement